Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #76
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Except that MS won that one on the appeal just by not getting broken apart. It also has approval to lock any ARM-based Surfaces into Win8, so it wouldn't be a far stretch to extend monopolistic behavior to other parts of the OS as well.
Do you have an example of a software program that Microsoft blocked from running on it's OS? Because I can't think of one, and I've been using PCs since the DOS days--there were programs that wouldn't run on Windows, but that was because the companies that sold the program didn't write a version for Windows. Even in the days of the "browser wars" MS didn't actually block other browsers from running on it's operating system. I've been running "alternative" browsers and "office" suites on Windows since they existed.

Quote:
The outcome of the election might determine how things really go, because each political party has a differing stance on how far government should go to regulate business, and whether or not Economic Darwinism is an inherently good thing.
Straying in to politics here...be careful. We don't want to get this thread moved, too.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #77
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
During the United States Microsoft antitrust case in 1998, Intel vice president Steven McGeady, a witness called by the government, said on the stand that a senior executive at Microsoft told him in 1995 of his company's intention to "cut off Netscape's air supply".
Quote:
The first browser war ended with Internet Explorer having no remaining serious competition for its market share. This also brought an end to the rapid innovation in web browsers; until 2006 there was only one new version of Internet Explorer since version 6.0 had been released in 2001.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_wars
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #78
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
But MS did not prevent other browsers from running on Windows, which was the question asked.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #79
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Except that MS won that one on the appeal just by not getting broken apart. It also has approval to lock any ARM-based Surfaces into Win8, so it wouldn't be a far stretch to extend monopolistic behavior to other parts of the OS as well.
I disagree with that stretch. I believe that the reason MS sought to be able to lock the ARM Surfaces was to make it more attractive for enterprise deployment. A tablet OS that can be tightly controlled by the company deploying it. Holders of Enterprise licenses can even deploy (via a special sideloading functionality) their own in-house Metro apps.

(While I haven't tried it myself, I believe the rest of us can accomplish the same thing with a Developer Certificate.)

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the main OS is turning into a walled garden. There certainly aren't any remaining surprises for Win 8 - the release preview has been in use since the Spring, and it was released to market last month.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #80
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Work provided Smartphones are turned off when work is finished. I've had a few altercations with my bosses about this, but I'm adament that when I'm not on the corporate dime, I'll do whatever pleases me.
I'm lucky because I don't use company phones nor do I take work home. When I clock out, I don't think about work again until I clock in the next day.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #81
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I read it perfectly well. I asked where he saw that in the original post that I was replying to.
Your original post was:
Quote:
Yeeesh. I was thinking about a Win8 tablet, but it's DOA at those prices.
You seem to be talking about Win8 tablets in general, not ASUS Win8 tablets in particular, same as in this post:
Quote:
I don't own a laptop. What originally attracted me to Win8 tablets were the early rumors that they were going to very reasonably priced. Since that isn't the case, at least in this instance, I don't see any advantage in getting a Windows 8 tablet when I could get an iPad for the same or less, or an Android tablet for much less.
HansTWN's reply was simply meant to point out that there are cheaper models of win8 tablets out there. The early rumors that you mentioned in your post were about the MS Surface which is the one that he mentioned in reply to yours.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #82
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Imagine you are working at a computer all day. At the end of the day, you pull your tablet out of the dock and head for home. It switches from wifi/ethernet to 4g for the ride home them wifi again once you get home. You get an email that requires attention beyond the capability of an email response, so you drop your tablet into a dock in your home office and proceed to solve the problem. In the morning you head to the airport with your tablet in tow. You keep in touch with the office as you travel to your destination. When you arrive at the hotel, you drop your tablet into the hotel's docking station and have the use of a full blown computer station. When you arrive at your business meeting, you again plug in your tablet for full computer access.
I've been waiting for years for a device like the one suggested. The ultimate device for me will be a phone that I can carry with me all the time, but still allows me to easily connect to a docking/charging station with large display and my usual external keyboard. So just one device for all my needs.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #83
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Your original post was:

You seem to be talking about Win8 tablets in general, not ASUS Win8 tablets in particular, same as in this post:

HansTWN's reply was simply meant to point out that there are cheaper models of win8 tablets out there. The early rumors that you mentioned in your post were about the MS Surface which is the one that he mentioned in reply to yours.
Cheaper models at $399, that are 2x what the original rumored prices were. That's not a bad price for a full-sized tablet, but if the Asus prices are typical, or even close, then Win8 tablets are DOA.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #84
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
This is why you don't announce a product without prices or release dates.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #85
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
This is why you don't announce a product without prices or release dates.
On the contrary, that IS why you do that. What good is having a glitzy event that is immediately dampened by price and availability date? If these things were announced at that event we wouldn't be talking about windows 8 tablets now.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #86
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
You assume all publicity is good publicity.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #87
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
btw: I'm not negative on Win8 at all. I'm looking forward to see what they're going to do in phones when the announcement finally comes next month. I'm just not impressed by this announcement, at all. We'll see. I thought if anyone could really take Apple's iPad to the mat and score a win it'd be Microsoft.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #88
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
if anyone could really take Apple's iPad to the mat and score a win it'd be Microsoft.
Samung seems to be doing a pretty good job in the phone arena. Don't count them out as competitors to the iPad.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #89
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I've been waiting for years for a device like the one suggested. The ultimate device for me will be a phone that I can carry with me all the time, but still allows me to easily connect to a docking/charging station with large display and my usual external keyboard. So just one device for all my needs.
Two words for you; ASUS Padfone.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Cheaper models at $399, that are 2x what the original rumored prices were. That's not a bad price for a full-sized tablet, but if the Asus prices are typical, or even close, then Win8 tablets are DOA.
I disagree; I think there are many people who will buy at these prices, especially for business use. I'm planning to buy a Win8 tablet, but I'll wait and see what else comes out before deciding which one to buy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote