Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
who reads bareback?

I didn't buy a case with my Reader so now I'm considering my options. I first need to decide if I want a cover that stays on all the time, or a sleeve/pouch/something just to put it in my bag. I am liking the feel of the device (the lightness and the rubber back) so right now I am leaning toward a sleeve or pouch. What do all of you do? Do you find it comfortable to read in the cover?

I am noticing one disadvantage of Sony: because it has a smaller market share, there seem to be fewer case options available than Kindle or Nook. I notice some sellers on Etsy say they will custom-make a case for any reader. Has anyone ever ordered a custom-made case for Sony and did it fit well? I like those hand-made cases.

Thanks!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I'm building my own case using some useful hints from this forum.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I'm using a PRS 300 case from Case Logic for transportation and whatnot, but I always take it out to read. I just love the feel of the well-constructed creation from Sony, especially the lightness.

Really, I like the K3 even though it has a plastic body, but I just wouldn't use the keyboard enough to have it.

That being said, I do think a case for carrying with bareback reading is the best.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
deekbee
deekbee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Whilst I love the feel of the 350 in its naked/natural form, I'm absolutely paranoid about it getting damaged, so have bought one of the Proporta (unlit) cases. Looks and feels absolutely gorgeous.
deekbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Off topic:

I live in an area where the word "bareback" has an entirely different meaning. Every time I see this thread title I do a double-take.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I haven't used a case w/ my Sony PRS-505 or PRS-600 --- just slip them into a (large) shirt pocket to carry them and out to read (the pocket isn't large enough to hold the reader w/ a case).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

encapuchado, show us a picture when you get it done, I would love to see what you made.

William, a shirt pocket and no case! That is pretty brave.

Doreen, I certainly knew no other meaning to the word "bareback" when titling this thread. I did not mean to be the least bit titillating in my titling. Not me, nuh uh, no way.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Must be very young, incredibly naive or just plain fibbing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Doreen, I certainly knew no other meaning to the word "bareback" when titling this thread. I did not mean to be the least bit titillating in my titling. Not me, nuh uh, no way.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard

>>Must be very young, incredibly naive or just plain fibbing...

Yes, I am certainly one of those three...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, I am certainly one of those three...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Jeri Patrick
I like to watch
Jeri Patrick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
I like reading au naturel.

I just use a neoprene pencil case to protect the Reader when it's not in use.
Jeri Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Since I only carry one of my ereaders with me when I go out, I just use the case that came with my Aluratek Libre. The PRS-350 fits well inside it, since it was designed for a 5" reader.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Wouldn't be without the Tuff-luv flip top leather case I have for my 505. It's not only for safety; it is so darned comfortable to hold (with a couple of fingers slipped through the loop on the back) and easy to prop up so the reader is self-standing if I'm eating or my hands are otherwise occupied, paybe packing my pipe or knitting. Still holding my reader in one hand, the flip top flap also makes a handy shade in strong sunlight. And yep, it also answers all those silly 'it doesn't feel like/smell like a real book' moans and groans from died-in-the-wool treebook users. Well worth considering the pros of a good cover, I think. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I don't use a cover or a case for my 350. When I go out, I slip it into the front pocket of my handbag.

(And it looks like I don't use a case, too. It has quickly developed, erm...character. My iPad's has held up much better without a case than the 350 has, and I've had that much longer.)
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
The 900 came with a cover which I leave on most of the time. It doesn't seem to change the weight but sometimes my hands just don't want to deal with it. When it travels it goes into a M Edge Touring sleeve.

The 600 didn't come with a case and I quickly learned to love the lightness compared to the 900. I have no plans to add any weight it since I'm loving holding it in one hand. I just recently bought the gold clutch case by case logic for travel. It could also double as an evening bag if the need ever arises.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote