Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Has your screen aged well?
My device is less than 1 year old and the screen's still great. 31 42.47%
My device is less than 2 years old and the screen's still great. 27 36.99%
My device is less than 3 years old and the screen's still great. 6 8.22%
My device is 3+ years old and the screen is still going strong! 4 5.48%
My device started losing contrast in its 1st year. 2 2.74%
My device started losing contrast in its 2nd year. 2 2.74%
My device started losing contrast in its 3rd year. 1 1.37%
My device started losing contrast after 3 years. 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It doesn't take 2 years. The effect we're talking about usually happens over the first few weeks, and then stops.
That's not the effect I'm talking about. I'm talking about the effect 301verbs asked about, which was about losing contrast over months of years (hence the poll).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
That's not the effect I'm talking about. I'm talking about the effect 301verbs asked about, which was about losing contrast over months of years (hence the poll).
That effect doesn't exist.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That effect doesn't exist.
Clearly it does; the poll has 2 people who lost contrast after 1 year and 1 person who lost contrast after 2 years.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
the poll has 2 people who lost contrast after 1 year and 1 person who lost contrast after 2 years.
Which doesn't really prove anything (you believe website polls are scientifically accurate?). For all we know those could be cases of faulty hardware, subjective mis-impressions on their parts as to the contrast changing, or people just making up responses to the poll.

I have never heard of any technical information that says eInk screens have a finite lifespan with regards to fading/contrast. If you know otherwise, please provide links.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Which doesn't really prove anything (you believe website polls are scientifically accurate?). For all we know those could be cases of faulty hardware, subjective mis-impressions on their parts as to the contrast changing, or people just making up responses to the poll.
Faulty hardware or mis-impressions are just as valid for the original poster, who is trying to determine the likleyhood of him experiencing the same issue, whatever the reason.

I agree, it's rare, and doesn't seem to be a systematic problem. However, I am cognizant of the fact that such a problem could become more likely in later years, so I think it's too soon to draw any strong conclusions about the lifetime contrast of such screens.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard

Faulty hardware is a completely different problem, which has nothing to do with the (incorrect) notion that all eInk has an inherent finite lifespan because of contrast fading. The later simply does not exist.

I suspect that when the original poster said "I've read some comments saying that e-ink screens lose contrast over time and thus have relatively short lifespans."... what he's referring to are comments about the initial fading that occurs with brand new devices (which stops after the first few weeks), and misinterpreted those comments.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 1st generation eink screen did fade after some time. But after that fade, it didn't fade any more then that. The Vizplex screen in my 505 has not faded in longer then it took the 500 to fade. So take that as you will.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote