Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #31
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Do you use the Kindle app as well?
Can you make annotations in your reading using the S-Pen?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Do you use the Kindle app as well?
Can you make annotations in your reading using the S-Pen?
Do I use Kindle app? Yes I do! In fact recently I've been using the Kindle app on my Note much more often than hardware Kindle.

As for annotations - Kindle app for Android is still quite limited, so I cannot draw over the page, underline words etc. I can, however, select words and make standard Kindle notes (text, not graphics).

As for rooting your Note, the Zergrush method is rather foolproof and there are ready packages, so as long as you follow the procedure, there is very little risk. The newest firmwares, however, aren't directly rootable, so you need to downgrade first, root and then upgrade the firmware again (through Odin or Mobile Odin, keeping the root).
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so I won an auction on Tradera (Swedish eBay).
I paid 3.000 SEK ($420) and will hopefully receive it this week.
I also get something like 20 protection covers (film for glas) and 4 pouches.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Picked it up today, right now it is charging. Have to reset it to factory settings. Will there be any firmware updates? Vry excited right now, will probably not get much sleep tonight.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Picked it up today, right now it is charging. Have to reset it to factory settings. Will there be any firmware updates? Vry excited right now, will probably not get much sleep tonight.
Is your running ICS? The ICS update was pushed a few weeks ago.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Gingerbread, and I did a systems upgrade check, but I think we might be somewaht less prioritized in Sweden. I would love ICS on it. Just downloaded my apps from Google Play, and trying to figure out how I want the screens to work.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Is your running ICS? The ICS update was pushed a few weeks ago.
ICS was pushed to the international version, we, who have the LTE version, are still waiting.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

On the other hand you have super fast Internet connection. Is it something you feel in for example browsing?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the other hand you have super fast Internet connection. Is it something you feel in for example browsing?
Not in my neck of the woods, LTE won't be here for at least a year. And from what I read on the forums, I'm not too sure I want it; battery hog!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Not in my neck of the woods, LTE won't be here for at least a year. And from what I read on the forums, I'm not too sure I want it; battery hog!
I just assumed you lived in Honolulu (or its near surroundings) and they would be early adapters of 4G/LTE. The Navy presence sort of dictates the need, or at least that is what I assumed.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
I just assumed you lived in Honolulu (or its near surroundings) and they would be early adapters of 4G/LTE. The Navy presence sort of dictates the need, or at least that is what I assumed.
That's true for Sprint and Verizon, but AT&T is a bit behind here. I work for the Army Signal Command (IT and telecommunications) here, and AT&T Mobile lost our cellular contract years ago because of inability to provide competitive service, and now that the CDMA providers have international handsets it’s even worse.

Curiously, AT&T still has our land line contract, but that’s mostly for legal reasons. Figure this one out; we have implemented VOIP on most phones utilizing our own IP WAN and call managers, but because of the way the contract is written, AT&T still gets a monthly re-occurring for every phone number implemented.

Last edited by wodin; 05-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #42
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That's true for Sprint and Verizon, but AT&T is a bit behind here. I work for the Army Signal Command (IT and telecommunications) here, and AT&T Mobile lost our cellular contract years ago because of inability to provide competitive service, and now that the CDMA providers have international handsets it’s even worse.

Curiously, AT&T still has our land line contract, but that’s mostly for legal reasons. Figure this one out; we have implemented VOIP on most phones utilizing our own IP WAN and call managers, but because of the way the contract is written, AT&T still gets a monthly re-occurring for every phone number implemented.
Sounds like the typical vagaries of bureaucracies.

Videos are fantastic. Wouldn't want to watch a whole movie but a stupid 20 min sit-com is perfect for the device.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #43
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I have the ATT LTE version of the Note and it is very fast for internet browsing. My old 3G Samsung Galaxy S Captivate was like dial-up in comparison. The screen is big enough for most browsing activity. I have the builtin browser set to be recognized as a mobile device and I use Opera set as a desktop device for certain sites where appearing to be a desktop device has some benefit.

The picture quality for video is amazing. Before getting the Note I had an old 7" tablet I used at the gym while doing my seventy minutes on the treadmill four times a week. The Note is a little smaller, but the picture quality is so much better it more than compensates.

For my usage, the battery life is more than acceptable. 70 minutes of video at the gym, 70 minutes listening to audiobooks in the car during my commute, 30 minutes using the Kindle app to read books, and maybe fifteen minutes of checking email and other misc surfing and by the time I go to bed, it will typically have about 65% of the battery left.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #44
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Now I'm starting to think that the included flip case might just not cut it.
I would love a leather case with room for some credit cards and bills. I might even be able to foresake a wallet if it can hold the necessities. Does anyone know of a supply store that ships internationally?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #45
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I'm a big fan of Tuff-Luv cases. Try http://tuff-luv.com/faux-leather-in-...ote-black.html
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote