Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Edit text files in the Kindle?

I have a file.txt is there a way I can edit it inside the Kindle?
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No. Kindle will display .txt files, and you can add and edit notes just like a regular Kindle book, but there is no in-place editing mechanism.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark123 View Post
I have a file.txt is there a way I can edit it inside the Kindle?
Notes are editable. So you can select any item that you have on your Kindle and use it to enter and edit text. The 'My Clippings.txt' file will capture text of any note you make, and you can copy that to your computer and extract the text from it to do what you will with it.

But perhaps the best sort of item to use for this purpose is one of the 'journal' or 'notepad' so-called ebooks in the Kindle Store for .99 cents. These can serve as aggregators/organizers for your notes. Some are organized by date, some by category, etc. depending on your requirements.

While you could make one of these yourself for free, the advantage of purchasing one of these from Amazon is that your notes will be backed up to your kindle.amazon.com page, and synced between Kindle devices and apps, which makes them more accessible than using My Clippings.txt. For example you could use Kindle 4 Windows to create notes with a full size keyboard, and these will synch down to your Kindle where you can view and modify them.

I would start by searching for 'Kindlepad' and then browse through the 'Customers Who Bought this item also bought...' to find one that works for you.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
For some more opinions on a related issue, see this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111535
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
beomagi
beomagi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Too bad. I'd actually like having VI
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert