Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Rosetta Books:
For all communications - Editor@RosettaBooks.com

Mail

RosettaBooks, LLC
200 West 57th Street, Suite 904, New York, NY, 10019
Phone: 646 274 1970
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well done. I do think everyone here should send off a email even if a Kindle owner. For all you know this could happen to you if RosettaBooks was to make an exclusive deal with Sony (for example).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #18
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It could well be no more than an error in BoB's database for the book.
Alas, BoB has responded with the following:

Quote:
Thank you for shopping with BooksOnBoard, and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We attempted to test this book and received the same results. Unfortunately, it is currently only available from one distributor, so we cannot switch it out for the same title from another distributor as we generally would in this situation. We will certainly refund you for this title.
Although honestly I think it's pretty weird that I'm the first one who tried to buy it. I mean, the book is a long-running bestseller, right? I've not read, and apparently now won't be having it on my short-term reading-list.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think a salient point to mention, if you do write, is that you are ready to buy. If the book (and the series) appear in your format (mobi, EPUB, Sony) you will purchase immediately.

Also, there is Terry Goodkind's official website, which runs on the same software as mobileread. So we're like, cousins, sort of.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 08-22-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just emailed RosettaBooks and I've asked a question in the Q&A section of Terry's website. I've told RosettaBooks in no uncertain terms that I will never purchase any more of Terry's work as long as his eBooks are only available at Amazon.
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Well, to each his own. I certainly have no right to criticize that approach, given my gentle, tactful approach to TOR. But then, Rosetta didn't tempt me with an e-book promotion that didn't end in e-book production. And since when did I let a little hypocrisy stop me?

I wrote them that they had an eager market for this book, series, and other books in their catalog, and when would they be expanding their e-book offerings to the non-Amazon e-book buyers? Also, if they needed to research e-book formats and devices, come to www.mobileread.com.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Alas, BoB has responded with the following:

Although honestly I think it's pretty weird that I'm the first one who tried to buy it. I mean, the book is a long-running bestseller, right? I've not read, and apparently now won't be having it on my short-term reading-list.
Thank you for confirming that; it's good to have the FACTS available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I sent the following e-mail to Rosetta Books:

Quote:
I was very happy to learn that Goodkind's books were finally coming to ebooks. I would like to buy the series, which has been highly recommended. Alas, it appears that I will not be able to do so. I read today that the ebook version will be exclusively available for the Kindle. I use a Sony. I'm now one less sale and one less fan.
What strikes me as particularly not well thought out about Rosetta's decision is that the Kindle is (a) limited to the U.S. market and (b) even if 200,000 Kindles have been sold, it is a very small percentage of the overall ebook reading device market, especially when you consider the iPhone and Fictionwise's announcement as to how many downloads of its software along with the all the other available devices.

Here's the question I would like to have answered: Is the exclusivity for a short period of time after which the book will be available in multiple formats? It is not unusual for a retailer to be given limited-time exclusivity.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was looking around Amazon and noticed that a MMPB is being released 9/20, maybe the Kindle only edition is a teaser for the MMPB. I wouldn't be surprised if other ebook formats appear once the MMPB is released.

I don't care one way or another that it's a Kindle exclusive, what I care is that only one of the series is available. I'll wait until they're all available.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I was looking around Amazon and noticed that a MMPB is being released 9/20, maybe the Kindle only edition is a teaser for the MMPB. I wouldn't be surprised if other ebook formats appear once the MMPB is released.

I don't care one way or another that it's a Kindle exclusive, what I care is that only one of the series is available. I'll wait until they're all available.
But if we don't do anything about it now, then chances are that if the others in the series become eBooks, they may be Kindle only as well or maybe the others will be in other formats but book one Kindle only. Also this could be that Any future work from Goodkind could be Kindle only as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #26
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is ruining eBooks.
Not if you have a Kindle. (KIDDING! Kinda, sorta...)
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #27
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
It was Terry Goodkind's choice to do this with Kindle only. On the Tor site they mention he tried the kindle out and loved it so much that he was willing to start putting his books on it.

And then this article pretty much says Goodkind cut a deal for Kindle only

http://www.publishersweekly.com/arti...html?rssid=192
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That's because Goodkind has not tried the others or at the time, didn't really know about them. I mean, take the 505, Gen3, & V3 (for example), they all have the same screen and if the eBooks are there, will display them every bit as good as the Kindle.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #29
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Well some writers are very nervous about ebooks in general. Its a start at least. Maybe he could be convinced to put it in SONY's format too. But on this site I see a lot of talk about how to strip DRM from mobipocket books. That kind of talk will make authors who are anti-ebook just more so. A format that can only be read on a device and not anywhere else propbably hold a lot of appeal to writers like Goodkind.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #30
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
It was Terry Goodkind's choice to do this with Kindle only. On the Tor site they mention he tried the kindle out and loved it so much that he was willing to start putting his books on it.

And then this article pretty much says Goodkind cut a deal for Kindle only

http://www.publishersweekly.com/arti...html?rssid=192
Honestly, do you believe everything they write?

Most likely his publisher made a deal with amazon, agreed to try it on kindle only
astra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!