Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
E-book stores in the UK

Hi,

A google search gives just whsmith offering e-books for UK prices, does anyone know of any others.

Or is it 'cheaper' to buy from the US - given the current exchange rates ?
probably swings and roundabouts ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I think for the relation between the pound and the $US, you should get the best prices from american eBooks shops.

Still, just check the prices of 5 or 10 books from the one you have found and compare to the prices from Fictionwise for the same books.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're probably right.
All we need now is a search engine for a named book for the lowest prices, instead of having to trawl through a dozen stores !
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I generally buy from Fictionwise. Given the current weak US$ against the pound, the fact that they charge in $ makes them very inexpensive. Their prices seem to be as good as anyone's.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
Marian
Marian is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 1 & 3, Dell Axim x51v, Iliad.
Now I know they're not to everybody's taste, but I see Mills & Boon are about to release their titles as eBooks. On their website they are asking people to register their interest. I think this could be good news as other publishers might follow, also could this be a lead up to a launch of the Sony Reader in the UK?

Last edited by Marian; 03-12-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
GeoffC

Not to my taste, but it may be the fore-runner of things to come ?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That depends on whether Mills and Boon release their romances in LRF format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My sister's a big fan of Mills and Boone and while I was at her house recently I happened to leaf through one and was quite shocked to find that they've got quite explicit "rude bits" in them. I was under the impression that they were all soppy girly love stories - they've obviously changed with the times!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
GeoffC

One of my wife's favourite authors is Doris Davidson - a Scottish author - more likely to 'see' her books in a UK store than a US one - I would have thought .......
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My sister's a big fan of Mills and Boone and while I was at her house recently I happened to leaf through one and was quite shocked to find that they've got quite explicit "rude bits" in them. I was under the impression that they were all soppy girly love stories - they've obviously changed with the times!
So you're a fan then? :P
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
they've obviously changed with the times!
I know. It's shocking. They used to be pretty harmless -- doctors and nurses exchanging glances, that kind of thing. It's a big industry now. One author I read about discovered a manuscript in her desk drawer that she thought she hadn't submitted. On re-reading, it seemed OK to her, except for the title, so she sent it along and the publishers (not sure if it was M&B or another in that field) duly published it. All was well for a couple of years. Then they got an irate letter from a reader wanting to know why they'd published the same book under two different titles -- was it a con trick? They'd completely forgotten the original publication, as had the author herself.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
I've definitely found fictionwise to be the cheapest .. I did look at WHSmith but they were a fortune compared to fictionwise .. I tend to browse at mobipocket as they have a better way to sift thru genres and then purchase at fictionwise .. my 'micropay' rebates are stacking up nicely!!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
I've definitely found fictionwise to be the cheapest .. I did look at WHSmith but they were a fortune compared to fictionwise .. I tend to browse at mobipocket as they have a better way to sift thru genres and then purchase at fictionwise .. my 'micropay' rebates are stacking up nicely!!

Loopy
booksonboard is cheaper for some titles as well....found a book $2 cheaper than the rest
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I was surprised at the prices at whsmiths, I expected them to be a lot higher. The American stores are still noticably cheaper, but not hugely so.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i don't know if this is really on the topic or not, but why are some formats more expensive than others for the same book ? at Diesel books for example. sometimes LIT is more expensive than Mobi, sometimes the other way around. one of the books i was looking at is 6.92$ in adobe format, 7.24$ for LIT, and 12.97$ for mobi !!! for the same book !! why ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote