Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #106
void_warranty
void_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Vox
Here's part two, how I made the new internal SD card.

*** IMPORTANT ***
This voids your warranty. I am not in any way responsible if you follow these instructions and destroy your Vox!
*** IMPORTANT ***

Before you take your Vox apart to swap the internal SD card, you obviously need a new card to swap in! This is how I made mine.

You'll need root access on your Vox; I had already used gingerbreak to root it, and I used Connectbot to get a local shell, in which you run "su" to get a root prompt (#). Now the fun begins.

I put the 32G SD card (the Vox's internal one is speed 4 - look for the "4" with the circle around it - so I doubt you want to go slower than this; luckily I got a Black Friday sale on a 32G speed 10 card) into the external slot. If you type "mount" you should see this as /mnt/extsd, probably the last line printed. YOU ARE ABOUT TO OVERWRITE EVERYTHING ON THIS CARD! I unmounted the external card first so Android didn't get confused; you can do this using "umount" or via "Storage settings".

If you're used to reading mount's output and track down the major/minor device numbers that vold's using, you can verify what devices correspond to each SD card. For me, the internal card was mmcblk0 and the external mmcblk1. So I ran the following command:
dd bs=4096 if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk1
DOUBLE-CHECK THIS COMMAND! If you swap the "if" and "of", or use the wrong device names, bad things are likely going to happen! Now the internal SD card, and all its partitions, are being copied to the external SD card.

This takes a loooooooong time. To a speed 4 card, it took almost 50 minutes. To a speed 10 card, it took almost 30 mins. You can still scroll Connectbot's screen to verify that the Vox isn't hung and to keep it awake during the copy.

Once it was done, I took the 32G card and put it in my Linux netbook's SD slot (via a micro-SD to SD card adapter). On there, the SD card showed up as /dev/sdc, so I ran "sudo parted /dev/sdc". I set the display units to "s" to see the per-block allocation; with "print free", if memory serves, it would print the partitions *and* the unallocated space.

You're looking for partition 4. It should be the last partition, type fat32, primary, with the highest-numbered allocated blocks. The "resize" command can be used to change partition 4's size: start it from the *exact* same block as is currently is, and as the end block use the highest-numbered block on the card. (Sort of: I had to subtract 1 from the highest-numbered block for parted to resize the partition.) It works away briefly, and when you quit parted, you should have a huge partition. You can verify that in Linux; the Vox balked at automounting it in the external slot, but when I mounted the partition manually it worked fine on the Vox.

The next step was physically swapping the 32G card in place of the original internal SD card. If all's gone well, the Vox should show a big honking amount of internal SD storage. Good luck!

John
void_warranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #107
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Thanks so much, John. I will try this on the weekend, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #108
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
vod_warranty: nice and detailed instructions, good work!

One comment though: my colleague (Linux sysadmin) tells me that it is not very reliable thing to copy a live system disk in Linux/Android: the disk is being used while you are copying, so the image will not be consistent. At the very least, he advised to run fsck command on the created image partitions. Better still if all the partitions can be remounted as read-only before running dd. It may generate some error messages, but it might work. Ultimately (and if you disassembled the unit anyway), the only robust way is to properly shut down Kobo (>10s Power button), disassemble it, take out the internal SD card, and make an image of it - first to the hard drive, and from the hard drive - to another SD card, where it can be re-partitioned using parted or graphical Gparted.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #109
void_warranty
void_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfolded

pulsar: that's a fair comment, and I wouldn't have tried this unless the filesystems were quiescent. Doing an fsck wouldn't be a bad idea.

John
Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #110
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Good news, bad news.

Good news:

Dmesg from a USB connection:
try_wake_up_udc: udc enter low power mode
mg get the DC mode success!
mg report message again success!
usb wakeup is here
the otgsc is 0x82c0f20, usbsts is 0x80, portsc is 0x1c000004, wakeup_irq is 0x80000000
otg udc vbus rising wakeup
try_wake_up_udc: udc out low power mode
try_wake_up_udc: udc enter low power mode

Which means that something is listening.

Bad news:
I went trough the kernel config again, and the host controller isn't enabled. I tried to compile ehci-hcd.ko from the freescale sources, but consistantly get

ERROR: "usb_suspend" [drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "usb_resume" [drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko] undefined!

So seems like there's a reason all the rest is enabled and nothing works :-)
So we can delightfully include USB support on the todo lists for custom kernels!
Maybe there'll be more luck OOTB with the linaro kernel.
We probably also need OTG support, which is compiled statically only.

Very very interesting test: plug a simple 2$ USB hub in a charger (iPhone or wall plug for example). Plus other stuff like a bluetooth dongle and a mouse into the hub. Plug the Vox as well.
Turn it on.
Result: it doesn't boot further than the black and white Kobo logo. This should be where UBoot is.

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-09-2011 at 01:32 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #111
Vapor
Vapor began at the beginning.

Great work, although I'm curious as to whether there's a USB hub and OTG connector out there that can somehow charge the thirsty Kobo while simultaneously power and maintain the various peripherals.

Edit: I was also wondering, are you going for an Linaro imx53 ICS port, or a CM port ?

Last edited by Vapor; 12-09-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: additional question
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #112
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

?Why not the Linaro imx51 package?
I'm interested in a native Debian/Bodhi - stock dual-boot. But dem bloody bri'sh bastards have a hard time sending my SD cards. I somewhat suspect the thing will boot from SD first.
As far as I know jefftheworld is working on some Android stuff. I had it with Android - not enough documentation.

And for the power consumption, the lower output the better actually - I don't want to power the Kobo, which has it's own battery, but only the peripherals. Maybe just a normal external USB battery will do.
For the other part of your question: anything charges the Kobo. Believe me. Regardless how many amps and if the light blinks or not. It just doesn't know about it.

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #113
Vapor

Hah, great find, on the imx51 image I really should start googling more

Problem with Ubuntu, is it isn't touch optimised, granted it's not as terrible as Win7, but it's no Android either. I really wish the linux devs just sat together and got the whole phone/tablet/touch thing sorted. I hear even firefox is basing their mobile OS on Android UGH !! But do tell how you get along with ubuntu's touch interface.

Oh and thanks for the tip. about kobo charging,
Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #114
hieronymos
Groupie

The imx515 is a pretty standard board and Linux support is actively maintained by Freescale. Linux is often an obvious choice for embedded design - Freescale doesn't normally make tablets, but car parts, industrial controllers and moon landings :-) Situations where you don't want a blue screen.
Bodhi has a really nice touch interface. The distro uses enlightenment, which has been developed to run as well on a 30" screen (some cable providers use it for the DVR interface) as well as a cell phone (Openmoko).
I use it on the T91, a touchscreen netvertible, and you just have to choose your applications. Many developers now start to make the buttons a little bigger. And if you use webapps anyway, you can change your browsers' user agent. Most of all, my T91 boots in 27 sec from off to Wifi connection, the OS is lightning fast and uses around 100MB RAM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #115
Vapor

I'm afraid though Linux still suffers from the black screen of complexity (the terminal window). Bodhi, while incredibly attractive, from my understanding lacks an integrated context sensitive popup keyboard which is a dealbreaker . The key to any good distro is out of the box usability, a good example of this is how Linux Mint has overtaken Ubuntu. Usability invariably comes from the quality and ease of the human computer interaction. Having used a Samsung Galaxy tab, I can say with some conviction that Android, for all it's faults, is still a slick very well polished touch based OS that puts all other linux touch based OS' in the shade.

As such, I'm afraid I'm forced to look toward the more greener, more robotic pastures as opposed to the colder shores of the penguins.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #116
hieronymos
Groupie

E17 has a beautiful on-screen keyboard that resizes the window when it pops up - it just doesn't pop up automatically in most applications yet. It's one of the things sponsored by Openmoko.
But Bodhi's focus isn't really usability, but customisability and lightweight. In the end it comes down to what you want to do with your things.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #117
hieronymos
Groupie

Half to say that it doesn't boot from the external SD first. Will have to dig into u-boot during the holidays.
Half to put a link to something that might have been in this thread (for those who come after us). Android Market is now working on the Vox (the Framework hack way):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160948
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #118
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Found my favourite Android shell command.

getprop returns:

Code:
# getprop
[ro.sf.lcd_density]: [240]
[ro.tether.denied]: [1]
[ro.config.notification_sound]: [Razzle.ogg]
[ro.secure]: [0]
[ro.allow.mock.location]: [1]
[ro.debuggable]: [0]
[persist.service.adb.enable]: [1]
[ro.factorytest]: [0]
[ro.calibration]: [0]
[ro.serialno]: []
[ro.bootmode]: [unknown]
[ro.baseband]: [unknown]
[ro.carrier]: [unknown]
[ro.bootloader]: [unknown]
[ro.hardware]: [freescale]
[ro.revision]: [332080]
[ro.hardware.lightsensor]: [/sys/class/i2c-dev/i2c-1/device/1-0010/input/input3/]
[ro.lightsensor.threshold]: [10]
[ro.build.id]: [GRI40]
[ro.build.display.id]: [pegasus-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.CAN.20111202.095622.40194_Beta test-keys]
[ro.build.version.incremental]: [eng.CAN.20111202.095622.40194_Beta]
[ro.build.version.sdk]: [10]
[ro.build.version.codename]: [REL]
[ro.build.version.release]: [2.3.3]
[ro.build.date]: [Fri Dec  2 10:43:41 PST 2011]
[ro.build.date.utc]: [1322851421]
[ro.build.type]: [eng]
[ro.build.user]: [leotao]
[ro.build.host]: [leotao-desktop]
[ro.build.tags]: [test-keys]
[ro.product.model]: [K080]
[ro.product.brand]: [freescale]
[ro.product.name]: [pegasus]
[ro.product.device]: [imx51_bbg]
[ro.product.board]: [BBG]
[ro.product.cpu.abi]: [armeabi-v7a]
[ro.product.cpu.abi2]: [armeabi]
[ro.product.manufacturer]: [unknown]
[ro.product.locale.language]: [en]
[ro.product.locale.region]: [US]
[ro.wifi.channels]: []
[ro.board.platform]: [imx5x]
[ro.build.product]: [imx51_bbg]
[ro.build.description]: [pegasus-eng 2.3.3 GRI40 eng.CAN.20111202.095622.40194_Beta test-keys]
[ro.build.fingerprint]: [freescale/pegasus/imx51_bbg:2.3.3/GRI40/eng.CAN.20111202.095622.40194_Beta:eng/test-keys]
[ro.kobo.build_number_country]: [CAN]
[ro.kobo.build_number]: [1.0.0]
[ro.kobo.internal.build_number]: [1.0.0]
[ro.kobo.locales]: [en_CAN, en_US]
[ro.kobo.platform_id]: [511]
[ro.kobo.beta_url]: [http://download.kobobooks.com/vox/images/beta/]
[ro.kobo.beta.url_locale]: []
[ro.kobo.build_type]: [beta]
[dalvik.vm.heapsize]: [64m]
[dalvik.vm.checkjni]: [false]
[ro.kernel.android.checkjni]: [1]
[ro.setupwizard.mode]: [OPTIONAL]
[net.bt.name]: [Android]
[net.change]: [net.dnschange]
[dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file]: [/data/anr/traces.txt]
[persist.sys.dontRemindUmsOn]: [true]
[persist.sys.notRmndUsbCnnctd]: [true]
[persist.sys.timezone]: [America/New_York]
[ro.FOREGROUND_APP_ADJ]: [0]
[ro.VISIBLE_APP_ADJ]: [1]
[ro.PERCEPTIBLE_APP_ADJ]: [2]
[ro.HEAVY_WEIGHT_APP_ADJ]: [3]
[ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_ADJ]: [4]
[ro.BACKUP_APP_ADJ]: [5]
[ro.HOME_APP_ADJ]: [6]
[ro.HIDDEN_APP_MIN_ADJ]: [7]
[ro.EMPTY_APP_ADJ]: [15]
[ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM]: [2048]
[ro.VISIBLE_APP_MEM]: [3072]
[ro.PERCEPTIBLE_APP_MEM]: [4096]
[ro.HEAVY_WEIGHT_APP_MEM]: [4096]
[ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_MEM]: [6144]
[ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM]: [6144]
[ro.HOME_APP_MEM]: [6144]
[ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM]: [7168]
[ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM]: [8192]
[hw.backlight.dev]: [pwm-backlight.0]
[net.tcp.buffersize.default]: [4096,87380,110208,4096,16384,110208]
[net.tcp.buffersize.wifi]: [10095,207380,220208,10096,34384,220208]
[net.tcp.buffersize.umts]: [4094,87380,110208,4096,16384,110208]
[net.tcp.buffersize.edge]: [4093,26280,35040,4096,16384,35040]
[net.tcp.buffersize.gprs]: [4092,8760,11680,4096,8760,11680]
[rw.SECOND_DISPLAY_CONNECTED]: [0]
[media.gstreamer.enable-player]: [0]
[media.stagefright.enable-scan]: [0]
[media.stagefright.enable-player]: [0]
[media.stagefright.enable-record]: [1]
[media.stagefright.enable-http]: [0]
[media.stagefright.enable-meta]: [0]
[media.stagefright.enable-vpuenc]: [1]
[ro.FSL_AVI_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.FSL_AAC_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.FSL_ASF_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.FSL_FLV_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.FSL_MKV_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.FSL_FLAC_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.FSL_MPG2_PARSER]: [1]
[ro.sf.hwrotation]: [90]
[ro.FSL_LANDSCAPE_MODE]: [1]
[xec.dls.enabled]: [0]
[xec.aa.enabled]: [1]
[xec.dls.rate]: [0]
[xec.aa.rate]: [100]
[ro.UI_TVOUT_DISPLAY]: [0]
[alsa.mixer.playback.master]: [Playback]
[alsa.mixer.capture.master]: [Capture]
[alsa.mixer.playback.speaker]: [Playback]
[alsa.mixer.playback.headset]: [Headphone]
[alsa.mixer.capture.headset]: [Capture]
[wifi.interface]: [wlan0]
[init.svc.initSystemTime]: [stopped]
[init.svc.servicemanager]: [running]
[init.svc.sdcardlabel]: [stopped]
[init.svc.vold]: [running]
[init.svc.netd]: [running]
[init.svc.dispd]: [running]
[init.svc.debuggerd]: [running]
[init.svc.zygote]: [running]
[init.svc.media]: [running]
[init.svc.dbus]: [running]
[init.svc.installd]: [running]
[init.svc.keystore]: [running]
[init.svc.wpa_supplicant]: [running]
[debug.sf.showfps]: [0]
[debug.sf.enable_hgl]: [1]
[debug.egl.hw]: [1]
[media.omxgm.enable-player]: [1]
[media.omxgm.enable-scan]: [1]
[back_camera_name]: [ov]
[back_camera_orient]: [0]
[ro.opengles.version]: [131072]
[init.svc.console]: [running]
[init.svc.adbd]: [running]
[init.svc.bootanim]: [stopped]
[init.svc.bootsound]: [stopped]
[hw.keyboards.65536.devname]: [mg-capacitive]
[hw.keyboards.65537.devname]: [gpio-keys]
[net.hostname]: [android_xxaxxxxxebxxxeba]
[dev.bootcomplete]: [1]
[wlan.driver.status]: [ok]
[dhcp.wlan0.result]: [ok]
[init.svc.dhcpcd]: [running]
[dhcp.wlan0.pid]: [2540]
[dhcp.wlan0.reason]: [BOUND]
[sys.boot_completed]: [1]
[ro.runtime.firstboot]: [1324082933031]
[dhcp.wlan0.dns1]: [192.168.xxx.xxx]
[dhcp.wlan0.dns2]: []
[dhcp.wlan0.dns3]: []
[dhcp.wlan0.dns4]: []
[dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress]: [192.168.xxx.xxx]
[dhcp.wlan0.gateway]: [192.168.xxx.xxx]
[dhcp.wlan0.mask]: [255.255.xxx.xxx]
[dhcp.wlan0.leasetime]: [86400]
[dhcp.wlan0.server]: [192.168.xxx.xxx]
[net.dns1]: [192.168.xxx.xxx]
[net.dnschange]: [1]
[init.svc.reset_boot_count]: [stopped]
List of shell commands for android is available here: http://en.androidwiki.com/wiki/ADB_S...mand_Reference

Includes a lot of useful ones like dumpsys and printenv.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 12-16-2011 at 08:16 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #119
void_warranty

Anyone tried applying the latest official update? I'm wondering if it still leaves the Vox rootable (also, it'll be annoying clearing out the bloatware apps *again*).

John
Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #120
hieronymos
Groupie

I don't think they will make it unrootable, ever. If they had that on their list, they wouldn't have fixed the Mac address. Root= market= sales .