Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Buying eBooks at other websites?

I haven't bought an eBook from any site other than Amazon yet. I have 3 free books and some local restaurant menu pdfs to load onto my Kindle any day I get the itch to... but I haven't actually shopped anywhere but the online Kindle store. The prices at Amazon seem to be better than anywhere else.

Then I heard about fictionwise from some folks on PBS. Does anyone use fictionwise? Are their prices generally better? Or anywhere else, for that matter? Or do you just use the Amazon store for the sake of quick access to books and cheap prices?
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
For IT or computer books, I like O'reilly. Prices are a bit higher but they provide 2 or 3 formats for the same book(mobi, epub, pdf), like a bundle.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Fictionwise used to be one of the best bookstores on the Internet. They sell eBooks in a variety of formats. Since Barnes and Noble bought them their best sellers seem to emphasize secure eReader formatted primarily. They still sell lots of Multiformat books too, that can be read on a variety of devices including the Kindle (you want to get Mobi format--you tell them which format you want at checkout). The Multiformat books are all DRM free.

There are many famous authors available in DRM-free Multiformat such as Isaac Asimov, Ursela Lequin and short stories by the likes of George R. R. Martin--I can recommend the short story "Sandkings" if you like SF/Fantasy--but they also have many works by independent authors. They have a magazine section, most of these can be purchased through Amazon, but I haven't found some of the great short stories anywhere else.

These Multiformat Mobi books have to be "side loaded" to the Kindle. Hop over there and have a look for yourself.

http://www.fictionwise.com/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I've actually bought more books for my Kindle from Fictionwise than anywhere else.

They generally have prices about the same as that of Amazon, but the frequently have discount coupons (watch the deals section) that often give you a 40-50% discount.

On the down side, not all their books do work on the Kindle (only the "Multiformat" ones, which don't have DRM and come in Mobi) and their books are sometimes poorly formatted (then again, the same goes for Amazon).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote