Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #241
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There is currently no way for a small non-US publisher to get books into the Amazon Kindle ebook store.
I wonder if their stoppage of accepting new pubs maybe a prelude to the whole Intl Kindle thing and they'll start accepting them through Amazon. Don't know, just a thought.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #242
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
It seems that the Kindle offers INSTANT dictionary look up for words in the document that you are reading. From what I gather, no other e-book reader offers this function?
That is not correct. The Sony 600 has a dictionary as does the Jetbook, the CyBook Gen3 and I think the CyBook Opus. I'm pretty sure the iLliad and DR1000 do also, but I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #243
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
That is not correct. The Sony 600 has a dictionary as does the Jetbook, the CyBook Gen3 and I think the CyBook Opus. I'm pretty sure the iLliad and DR1000 do also, but I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny that.
Ok, thanks Bob. I suppose I didn't properly word my question. The Kindle provides instant definitions, whereas my understanding was the others with dictionaries offer a slightly more convoluted "look up" process?

Do you know if the Sony 600, Jetbook, Cybook Gen 3 or Cybook Opus allow one to change the default dictionary, like can be done on the Kindle? Because that is the killer factor in being able to use the Kindle as a language learning reading tool.
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #244
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
The Opus has no dictionary, at least not with the ePub firmware. If they ever release the Mobi firmware it might, I'm not sure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #245
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok, thanks Bob. I suppose I didn't properly word my question. The Kindle provides instant definitions, whereas my understanding was the others with dictionaries offer a slightly more convoluted "look up" process?
Yes, the 600 it is "instant" lookup. You just arrow the cursor to the word and as you move it the definition is displayed. Yes, you can change the dictionary. It comes with two, not sure if and when others will be available. From the 600 manual:

Sets the dictionary used. The type of dictionary is automatically set according to the keyboard that you set in the initial setting. Available dictionaries: “New Oxford American Dictionary,” “Oxford Dictionary of English,” “None”

Quote:
Do you know if the Sony 600, Jetbook, Cybook Gen 3 or Cybook Opus allow one to change the default dictionary, like can be done on the Kindle? Because that is the killer factor in being able to use the Kindle as a language learning reading tool.

The CyBook Gen3 (with the mobipocket firmware) actually allows you to have multiple dictionaries installed and it looks up the word in all of them.

Yes, I know that the Jetbook allows you to change dictionaries. The device comes with a few. I think two definition dictionaries and two translation dictionaries. Once again, I don't know if more are available.

BOb
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #246
barrow

Well, that is news to me. Thanks so much Bob. On those features alone it means the CyBook is much more suitable for my needs than the Kindle...which by comparison is very restrictive in terms of how it caters to both the non-US market, and the non-english speaking market.

Many thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #247
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, that is news to me. Thanks so much Bob. On those features alone it means the CyBook is much more suitable for my needs than the Kindle...which by comparison is very restrictive in terms of how it caters to both the non-US market, and the non-english speaking market.

Many thanks.
Sure. Just keep in mind. The CyBook Gen3 is an older device and it supports mobipocket which it being quickly supplanted by Adobe ePUB drm. There is "supposed" to be a firmware update for the CyBook Gen3 to support that, but I don't know if that firmware supports dictionaries.

Good luck with your choice. I'm happy to help.

BOb
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #248
barrow

I see, I suppose that is a concern. Ultimately I guess this is a game of compromise, what can I most live without, kind of thing. Given what you've just said I would probably prefer the Sony, but for some reason the touch screen just doesn't appeal to me.

Perhaps I'll hold out and see if the Kindle offers a more multi-language friendly 3rd edition.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #249
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see, I suppose that is a concern. Ultimately I guess this is a game of compromise, what can I most live without, kind of thing. Given what you've just said I would probably prefer the Sony, but for some reason the touch screen just doesn't appeal to me.

Perhaps I'll hold out and see if the Kindle offers a more multi-language friendly 3rd edition.
The Sony 505 is a great device and supports the Adobe ePub DRM. If you look around you can find some good clearance deals on it. Although no dictionary support. (as of yet)

You of course don't "have" to touch the screen.

BOb
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #250
barrow

Quote:
You of course don't "have" to touch the screen.
Ha, very true!

Upon further investigation it seems that none of the Sony Readers will work for me anyway. The only dictionary options they allow are American english, English english, or none. Thus you can't even add a new default dictionary such as that of another language.

It's a real shame that these companies are so anglophonic-centric.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #251
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Hi! I'm new here and have a question regarding the comparison of the Kindle with other e-book readers.

It seems that the Kindle offers INSTANT dictionary look up for words in the document that you are reading. From what I gather, no other e-book reader offers this function?
Not really Kindle, but Mobipocket format. I've got it with my Cybook (and I think I change my dictionary much easier at Cybook than at Kindle, according to I've read I would have to do at Kindle and I've done at my Cybook). I think Opus with PRC firmware (if it appears at any moment) will do it too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #252
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sure. Just keep in mind. The CyBook Gen3 is an older device and it supports mobipocket which it being quickly supplanted by Adobe ePUB drm. There is "supposed" to be a firmware update for the CyBook Gen3 to support that, but I don't know if that firmware supports dictionaries.

Good luck with your choice. I'm happy to help.

BOb
And don't forget that, at this moment, if you have ePub you don't have dictionary.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #253
barrow

So the OPUS doesn't have E-Ink technology, and the Gen3 doesn't support Epub.

Great...

Thanks for letting me know Terisa!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #254
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So the OPUS doesn't have E-Ink technology, and the Gen3 doesn't support Epub.

Great...

Thanks for letting me know Terisa!
No, that is incorrect. The Opus is most certainly an eInk device.

One thing worth noting: although the Kindle IN THEORY allows you to change the dictionary, there are NO replacement dictionaries currently available for it. That, at least, was the position a couple of months ago; I don't know if it's changed since.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #255
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I wonder if their stoppage of accepting new pubs maybe a prelude to the whole Intl Kindle thing and they'll start accepting them through Amazon. Don't know, just a thought.***

And an ecnouraging thought it is, Brian. Amazon currently says it has 'no plans' to change its US-registered publishers only policy. Mind you, had you asked them a week or two ago, they would have told you they also had 'no plans' to launch an international Kindle. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote