Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Paul Miller
Enthusiast
Paul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo
highlighting/annotating PDF files?

I want to be able to highlight and/or annotate academic pdf files. It LOOKS like I could get software that would make reading pdfs manageable on an e-reader, software like K2pdfopt.

However, after combing through threads in this forum, and reading some reviews of software, I can't determine for sure if I'd be able to highlight or annotate the PDFs. I'd much rather get an ereader if I could determine that there is a workable solution to my problem, but would settle for a tablet if absolutely necessary.

Can anyone point me in the direction of software that would work on an ereader, or, less optimally, a tablet, that would let me highlight and/or annotate my PDFs?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, and I apologize for being a newbie to all of this.
Paul Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
It depends on what e-ink reader you are talking about, its size and price.

I can highlight(by underscoring only) ocr-ed pdfs on Kindle Dx using kindlepdfviewer and get list of all underscored parts, but I don't think you will be glad with its speed for academic purposes.

I can highlight, annotate with keyboard, annotate with scribblings, scribble on ocr-ed pdf on Sony PRS T1, but it is 6" reader, so it is good for A5 sized pdfs after optimization in k2pdfopt for landscape view or for two-column A4 sized pdfs.

You can do all you need on M92 but it will maybe still be slow for your academic purposes, so you can wait a few more weeks when new M92 i.e. M96 is expected to come out and see if it is fast enough for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAkDyIvClLA

You can try to get 13.3 " e-ink pdf reader Sony DPT-S1, available in Japan for 1000 $ and expected in America in a couple of months for 1200 $.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIcL1nz9-ME

As for tablets, there are no such problems since there are dozens of good free pdf readers and annotators for iOS and android, also tablets are quick enough and have got color, so if reading on e-ink screen is priority to you (because of eye-strain, for reading outdoors a lot, reading indoors with lots of lights around etc.) you can simultaneously use tablet for annotation and quick referencing and e-ink for reading.

If you want good and cheap tablet for pdf annotation you can buy used iPad 1 or 2 together with some good antiglare mate screen protector and download free pdf readers and annotators like Perfect Reader 2, Pdf-Notes, GoodNotes, Adobe reader, Foxit etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perf...436633759?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-...391487223?mt=8

Last edited by markom; 03-19-2014 at 08:47 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Paul Miller
Enthusiast
Paul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavens

Hi Markom:

Thanks for your thorough response. I was thinking about getting a Kobo, like the Aura HD, and am trying to stay away from Kindles, because of the monopoly that Amazon has over books that are readable on them. Are you aware of any highlighting or annotating programs that would work on a Kobo? I can't afford to get one of the more expensive models you mentioned.

I will probably get a tablet for the most flexibility. And if eye-strain becomes a problem, will take your advice and get an ereader to read regular books on. Thanks again.

Paul
Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindles can read any non-DRM'ed file, if you use calibre to convert it.

On the other hand, Kobo cannot read files from B&N or Apple without having to go through, how shall I put it, "workarounds".

So the real problem is DRM, which means ebooksellers in general have monopolies. Amazon is no worse than any other ebook vendor in that respect. (In fact, it is actually easier to strip the DRM off Amazon ebooks than other DRM types.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Paul Miller
Enthusiast

Thanks,eschwartz. I'd rather just have an e-reader where I can more easily download books from independent bookstores, without having to convert them, but this is veering off topic.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Miller View Post
Thanks,eschwartz. I'd rather just have an e-reader where I can more easily download books from independent bookstores, without having to convert them, but this is veering off topic.
You will still have to remove the DRM from them...

When you Send to device with calibre, it will auto-convert the book to a supported format, save the new format to your library, and upload it to your device. Conversions are usually pretty snappy.

When you send an Adobe DRM ebook to your Kobo, you must use Adobe Digital Editions, and I believe it will re-encrypt the book specially for your device. Each time you send it. Adding overhead for every time you want to add a book to your ADE DRM ereader. Or so I've heard, I only have a Kindle. And from using ADE (when I must) I have the experience that ADE is slower than calibre to begin with...

Anyway, back on topic -- I can only speak of Kindles, since that is what I have experience with, but highlighting/annotating in a PDF (using Amazon's built-in PDF viewer) is no different than highlighting/annotating in a .mobi/.azw3 although like all sideloaded books nothing is synced with Amazon's servers.

As markom said, it must be OCR'ed or have embedded text (because otherwise there is nothing to highlight).

I don't know what kindlepdfviewer/koreader does for highlighting.

You can run Android on the Kobo Glow, and from there install basically any Android apps I suppose. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225940
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Paul Miller
Enthusiast

Hi eschartz: Thanks again for your informative post. You folks are really helpful. I think I'm going to sit back and get out of the "weeds" for a little. I need a little perspective on what I really want. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Miller View Post
Hi eschartz: Thanks again for your informative post. You folks are really helpful. I think I'm going to sit back and get out of the "weeds" for a little. I need a little perspective on what I really want. Thanks again.
Your welcome.

Once you decide, tell us what you settled on, and why.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
On the other hand, Kobo cannot read files from B&N or Apple without having to go through, how shall I put it, "workarounds".
FWIW, neither B&N nor Apple require publishers to put DRM on their books. Many publishers do, mind you, but it's a checkbox, not a universal truth.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
FWIW, neither B&N nor Apple require publishers to put DRM on their books. Many publishers do, mind you, but it's a checkbox, not a universal truth.
And neither does Amazon. Still, true enough -- this only applies for the majority of publishers who enabled the DRM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Paul Miller
Enthusiast

I finally decided to get a Kobo Aura HD, recognizing that although it'd be nice to be able to read academic pdfs on the reader, that wouldn't be my primary use. I can still read those the old fashioned way.

Anyway, so far, so good. I like the Kobo, and the whole ereader experience, quite a bit.

Tags
annotate, highlight, pdf