Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #136
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Thank you. Very cool giveaway.

My favorite MR forum is the Lounge. The only way I could see it being better is by allowing more controversial topics, would take it away from being just mainly a padding forum (which I love). But, that opens up a whole different can of worms.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #137
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Happy 10th Birthday MR! I can't believe this is warmest community I have encountered on the internet.

My favourite forum is of course "Which one should I buy?". I bet there is no other place anywhere online where experienced opinions about specific ebook-readers can be saught.

How can we improve this section?

When someone opens a thread with specific requirements, it is not always possible for him to have information from members who really know possible-device-in-question. Although asker gets lot of personalized guidance about new device, he also wants to get a look at all devices available to him. I find that MR wiki is not always a place where sufficient information is available.

I suggest we add sticky with link to a custom page where there is a list of all ebook readers + tablets available on the planet. This huge database can consist of:

General tech specs in detail
Availibility by country
List of MR members who own that device (can be voluntary opt-in for members)
Detailed software capabilities
Screenshots and Photos by members
Modified firmwares available
Legal restrictions on device
Ability to compare selected devices
Ability to rate devices by device owners
List of external softwares associated with device (For example, Sony reader app for Sony reader, iTunes for iPad)

Long live MR and long live this great reader community! Have a nice day everyone!
Your request is a pretty good description of our wiki. Have you tried it?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #138
dstb
dstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Hi there!

My favourite section(s)... "Onyx Boox". Along with "PocketBook".
I am trying to decide wether I'll buy a M92 or a 912.

It would be nice to have a RSS feed in each section so I could see in a newsreader the threads that appear.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #139
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Thank you. Very cool giveaway.

My favorite MR forum is the Lounge. The only way I could see it being better is by allowing more controversial topics, would take it away from being just mainly a padding forum (which I love). But, that opens up a whole different can of worms.
Are you aware of the opt-in forum exactly for this purpose? See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103942 for details.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #140
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstb View Post
Hi there!

My favourite section(s)... "Onyx Boox". Along with "PocketBook".
I am trying to decide wether I'll buy a M92 or a 912.

It would be nice to have a RSS feed in each section so I could see in a newsreader the threads that appear.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
There is an RSS feed for each section. If you go into any forum section your browser should discover the feeds. Click the RSS button in your browsers URL bar and it will show the feeds available.

BOb
Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #141
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Reading Recommendations is my favourite section (and also my most hated section)!
I always find some great recommendations there, and everyone is very helpful in bombarding me with more amazing books to add to my never ending to read list. Only bad part is that I log in looking only for a book or two, and end up coming out with a list of 30 books. I can only read so fast!

And can't think of many ways of improving it, either than adding some prefixes in there to look through by genre, or adding prefixes for 'recommendations' and 'discussions', as both happen in there.

And a huge congrats on 10 years! I'm very glad to have found this place when I first got my eReader. Definitely made my reading life a lot more fun, so thank you for that!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #142
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Wow -- ten years! I've been here since the first months of 2008, when I jumped into the Kindle game. I googled for info on how to use the Kindle, did people like it, etc -- and found Soooo much info here! Initially my favorite forums were thus the Kindle ones.

As somebody else said, now that my Kindle is stable, I stay for the social forums in The Lounge. I don't participate in any other social sites, but the level of general nicety here is just so welcoming. Finding other people who love books, what on earth could be better?!

I can't think of anything to improve the site!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #143
hamlok
Currently Reading
hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Tolino, Kindle, Pocketbook, Sony
Congratulations Mobileread and for the great time!

My favourite section is the german forum because my english is limited.

I also would like to thank for all the ebook uploads in the library.

Great work!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #144
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
I am taking a lot of inspirations from Kindle Developer's Corner, so this is definitely my favorite forum.
Don't have any ideas for improvement at the moment.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #145
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Freebies are great. Info on new products are great. Opinions help. Most of the people here are great.

Alex is great
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #146
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
Happy 10th MobileRead!

I first came across MobileRead's famous E-book Reader Matrix when deciding which reader to get. It's been the great people here in the forums that keep me returning to the site.

I mostly visit the reader specific forums for Sony and Kindle, although as others have mentioned, Deals, Freebies, and Resources have probably saved me a small fortune.

Not really sure what, if anything, I would change.

Thanks again to the moderators and all MR members who make this such a great community!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #147
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Congratulations for creating my favourite corner of the internet.

It's all good, and the most fun/useful section for me has varied over the years. When I first joined it was the device-specific groups for those early eInk devices, then I discovered Calibre, and more recently there's a lot of time spent here discussing tablets - but that's all good too.

I've also got a lot out of the politics/religion group (and the various threads that eventually led to the creation of the group). There have been some seriously thoughtful threads in there, not to mention some very lively ones, and much of the time this has led to exploring references outside MR.

Favourite thread? Ah, I think we need to get back to the haikus.

Graham
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #148
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Happy Birthday!

What a wonderful way to get a little feedback and share the excitement of the milestone!

By far, I spend the most time bouncing between the Amazon Kindle group and the Calibre group in the forum. I've learned so much as I've dived into the world of mobile reading. I can't think of any improvements. I love that the forum is searchable and I've found many of my questions answered by simply doing a search.

Thank you to the moderators and the MobileRead team!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #149
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I joined MR in 2006. At the time I had an Ebookwise backlit ereader that read imp files. In those days, I purchased my books from Fictionwise USA even though I reside in the Uk. That was before the days of geographical restrictions. I then purchased the first iLiad which I seem to recall cost £500 or £600. Since then I have had a Bookeen Gen 3, Sony 505, Pocketbook 360, Kindle 3 and my latest Kindle Paperwhite. I have loved them all in their turn and in fact I still have them and all are working. These last 6 years have been a wonderful time for me and I have learned so much from this site. Over the years my favourites have changed depending on my current ereader. At the moment my favourites are Calibre, Sigil and Amazon. My fingers are crossed that I will be here for the next ten years. Thank you Mobileread and all the members for the best site ever!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #150
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Can think of nothing praiseworthy to say that's not been well and enthusiastically said already. After BBC headlines MR is my first stop and cannot imagine how empty my browser would be w/out it.

Over the passing years and readers, different Forums have been my favorites but always the Book Clubs and the News. Just getting into the nuts and bolts of Calibre and looks like I'll be there for as long as I can find an internet connection.

Until someone comes-up with a macro saying Thank You, seems I'll just have to continue typing it! Thanks Alex, mods, members, etc., etc.

Had to edit to say a special thanks to the talented folks that upload books to The Patricia Clark Memorial Library. My other regular visit. There are just too many to thank.

Last edited by CharlieBird; 10-31-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Closed Thread