Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
edebill
edebill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kobo mini, kobo aura hd, nexus 5, nexus 7, ipad air
My apologies fo the slow reply. For some reason I was expecting an email notification that I'd gotten a reply. Now I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The best guess I can make is that some security setting is preventing your Mac from using multicast. Why this would be I cannot say. Alternatively, the Bonjour components might not be installed. This would surprise me given that Bonjour is Apple-made, but I suppose it is possible. Last idea: port 9004 might be somehow reserved and unusable with bonjour.
/sbin/ifconfig shows only a single IP, with multicast enabled. There are about 6 other network devices, but none of them have an IPv4 address. I tried enabling IPv6 on my home network recently, but I think that was mainly a base station change.

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
ether f8:1e:df:db:9c:33
inet6 fe80::fa1e:dfff:fedb:9c33%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 172.16.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.1.255
media: autoselect

I made sure the firewall was off. I checked netstat for any other apps set to the same port number, but didn't find any.

Changing the port to 9004, 9091 and 12345 didn't seem to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thinking about it, the wireless system can work even if bonjour registration is not successful. I will change the driver not to give up in this case. The change won't appear in a release for a week unless you run from source.
I assume that means I'll need to specify the computer's IP address in the Calibre Companion app. That's not as convenient, but if it's a choice between typing in an IP address and not having it work, I know what I'll choose

Thanks,
Erik
edebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wn1ytw View Post
I'm trying to find that in settings but if memory serves(no pun intended) it is 167.20.92.58
Preferences: Tweaks: What interfaces should the content server listen on

The default is
server_listen_on = '0.0.0.0'

This may not help as you have no ability to configure the (property owners) Access point.
Does your reading device get an IP in the same block 167.20.xx.yy

Last edited by theducks; 09-29-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: more
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edebill View Post
I assume that means I'll need to specify the computer's IP address in the Calibre Companion app. That's not as convenient, but if it's a choice between typing in an IP address and not having it work, I know what I'll choose

Thanks,
Erik
You won't necessarily need to use a fixed IP address. Because of the problems with bonjour (and there are many), we built a quick & dirty UDP broadcast scheme that CC uses to find calibre in addition to bonjour. This was released around a month ago, and immediately the CC connection problems plummeted. The success of this scheme is why I am willing to make bonjour failure non-fatal.

The 'non-fatal bonjour error' fix is in calibre's 'trunk', available now if you run from source.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
edebill
edebill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kobo mini, kobo aura hd, nexus 5, nexus 7, ipad air
it works!

Drag and drop stopped working (shocking for a Mac). I ended up having to wipe and re-install the operating system. Not my preferred method of fixing problems, but it ended up fixing Calibre! I just sent a handful of books to my Nexus 7. It was beautiful.

Sorry to waste everyone's time with what turned out to be a system problem.

Regards,
Erik
edebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sometimes I think that computing is hopeless. Can you imagine the outcry if your home heating worked like PCs? Your apartment will be warm enough only if you power off your microwave oven and turn off then on all the lights in the right order.

Sigh....
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mac, wireless