Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Problems with ebook library and Vista?

Hi,

I just joined mobileread. I've had my 600 for 5 days and am running into technical problems which may be Windows Vista related. I'll open new threads for each separate question.

This one is about the fact that my 600 doesn't disconnect when I click on the eject button. When connected, the reader says, "Do not disconnect." To remove the USB cable, you are first supposed to click on the eject button. When I do that, the reader disappears from the source list in ebook, but the reader continues to display "Do not disconnect." I go ahead and disconnect, but the warning remains for quite some time. I have even rebooted my notebook and the message is not removed. It eventually clears itself, but that takes 5 minutes or more. Any thoughts?

Related to this, I suspect, is an error message I get when first connecting the reader to a USB port. According to the manual, both the computer and reader should be on before connecting the USB cable which is what I do. I get a message that tells me there are file problems on the device and am asked whether windows should scan and correct the problem or just continue. If I click to scan, window claims that it can't do that, which I believe should be the case. Regargless of what I do, ebook library opens automatically and behaves normally, recognizing the reader. Of course, as I already explained, eject does not work.

I'm sure that I have the latest version of ebook library and the reader firmware. Both the reader and library appear to be working okay. Although, I occasionally get a failure of the library when I first try to use it. It's one of those windows messages that say the application has encountered a serious error and must close. When I restart it, it recognizes the reader and behaves okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I contact Sony? I'm not a big fan of the Vista operating system and can't wait to upgrade to Windows 7. I'm hoping that will be a better OS. I'm really suspicious of ebook libray as it interfaces with Vista. Anyone have similar experiences?

Dave W.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Yup!

I am using Vista with my 600 and getting the same messages you are. I did not know the Reader should be on before connecting--I have mine turned off, computer on when I connect to USB. Usually the reader shows the USB connection in a few seconds, the computer gives me its auto-start pop-up (which I just close), the library opens and I am good to go!

Closing the connection I get the same "do not disconnect" message you do. Once I am sure I have ejected the Reader from the library and the Reader is not charging, I go ahead and pull the USB cord out. I mean, what else can we do??

I did have one eLibrary crash. I forget what I did, figured it was just one of those things, ! Computers--gotta love 'em!--aren't perfect, nor are the people who write the software, nor the people who use them . I expect an occasional glitch.

Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

The manual does say to have the reader on before connecting it to the USB port. It seems to work either way. But the library crashing is annoying. Also the warning from Vista the there is something wrong with the files on the removeable device is a real pain, especially when I click to do the scan and fix it, and that does nothing. As I said, it must be Vista not liking the Sony program. I'll wait to hear what others may say and then write to Sony.

Thanks for the input.

Dave W
Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Dave, try searching and/or clicking the links at the bottom of this page for older posts about the same problem.

I haven't had the warning about the files, maybe because the device is off to start??

Good luck! Let us know!

Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
So far, I have only used my 600 with Vista and have not encountered either of the problems you mentioned. In addition, I have never opened Reader prior to plugging in the device.

All that being said, I really didn't like Reader, so I removed it after a few days and now only use Calibre. It's certainly not a program I would choose to manage my digital library (I've chosen to just go with a file directory cataloging system), but its conversion capabilities have impressed me.

Sorry this isn't much help, but it's at least another data point.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
"Do not disconnect." I go ahead and disconnect, but the warning remains for quite some time. I have even rebooted my notebook and the message is not removed. It eventually clears itself, but that takes 5 minutes or more. Any thoughts?
Did you quite the Sony software? Did you attempt to use the USB Disconnect utility in windows?

Also, how many ebooks do you have on your reader. Every time you disconnect it the reader indexes all the books on it's memory and SD card... and it could take a few minutes if you have a lot of books. The fact that the message does go away after 5 minutes tells me the reader was busy doing something.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I have a 300 I use with Vista and had the same problems. First, I figured out one of my books wasn't showing as licensed, so now I change to thumbnail view and see if any are not showing up properly.

Second, I read on one of the threads to make sure you have the lastest version of Java. I didn't have any, it seems, so I download it and installed it. I haven't had the problem since, but can't say for sure which was the real issue. I would advise to install the lastest JRE though. Hope that helps.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Dave W
Connoisseur

Thnaks for the help

I'll try some of the suggestions when I get a chance.

Bob, no I haven't tried the USB disconnect feature in windows. That should be what the disconnect button is doing in the ereader library.

Retro, I should have the latest version of Vista because I allow all the Microsoft updates to install. I've only had this notebook about a month. It came with Vista and free update to Windows 7. Having said that, I don't believe that I have service pack 3 for Vista. I'm inclined to wait for 7 rather than rock the boat. One set of updates from MS totally crashed my notebook. I paniced because I had just spent a week, putting in lots of hours, to clean off the junk that comes with a new computer and to install all of my applications. I have many. With HP's help, I found out how to undo the updates and got back to a working notebook without having to start over. I'm more that upset with MS for releasing an update that could do that.

Someone else suggested another application to use for book transfers other than the ebook library. Does that work? I did not know I could use another application. If so, I want to give it a shot. Perhaps it won't give me the windows error that I'm getting.

Thanks for all the help everyone. BTW, how do I check to see if all my books are licensed? I only have 11. Two I paid for. The rest are from the Google free library: Sherlock Holmes stories, Treasure island, and Jules Vernes stories. That few books shouldn't slow the disconnect down, should it? I've waited over 5 minutes and it still didn't disconnect.

Dave W
Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
Maybe not the answer you want, but I upgraded to 3.0 and vista and it didnt work. I went back to version 2.3 which works with no issues.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Java is not installed with Vista, it is a Sun product and you won't get it or any updates through Microsoft updates. Typically, your pc will get hosed up if you let Microsoft updates install driver updates. I don't let it install automatically, but look at what is available first and even then, there is really no rush to install any. Let someone else do the testing : )

A JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is required by many applications and they will install it when the app is installed. The ereader library doesn't install it though, but it will make a big difference.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
Dave W
Connoisseur

I have Java

I'm not sure if HP installed Java on the notebook or some application of mine did it, but I keep getting reminders to allow an update to Java. So I must have it. I just checked Java in the control panel and it says I have version 6, update 7. I should be all set in that regard.

By the way, I do have my Vista updating set to notify me first, but I usually allow updates unless it is trying to update something I don't have or don't use. Most of the udates are claimed by MS to solve security issues. For those, I assume, I should install ASAP.

Dave W
Old 09-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Dalwyn
Dalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enoughDalwyn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
I am running windows 7 64 bit and it make ejecting a usb device much easier than vista did. I always had problems ejecting a usb device with vista.

I have found that I have to run the library software in the compatiability mode. Don't know if this will help you, but you might give it a try.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Dave W
Connoisseur

Dalwyn,

Compatibility mode seems to help. At least my reader will now disconnect when I click on the button. However, I still get the error window every time that asks, "Do you want to scan and fix reader (F?" Scanning fails as you would expect. So I usually click on continue, but waiting for this window every time I connect my reader is a real pain.

Dave
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Dave W
Connoisseur

Questions about Calibre

Rob_IX and a few others mentioned the use of Calibre. Rob said that he removed ebook library and only uses Calibre. I installed Calibre and it is certainly stable and has great features. However, it only seems to recognize my 600 reader if Library is running. That may not happen if there is no Library software.

There are a number of other issues that may be just my inexperience with ebook readers. First, from Calibre, I can't figure out how to access the Sony book store, or is there another way to buy books for the 600? The ebook library software seems to be to Sony books what iTunes is to Apple music. Second, how do you manage books on an SD memory card from Calibre? The way I do it with Library is to buy or import the book to library and then transfer the book directly to to an SD card plugged into my reader.

What I'm trying to get at in this post, is can I really un-install the Sony software and do everything that I want to do using Calibre instead?

Dave W
Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Dave--You need the Sony software to buy books from the Sony store, but there are plenty of other places you can buy books from...best to try and buy books in ePub format. Check out booksonboard or fictionwise. Also, some libraries allow you to download books that will work on your reader--they'll expire after 14 or 21 days, but are free to download. All you need for this is a library card.

I don't know why you can't seem to access your Reader through Calibre unless you have the Sony software running. I don't have this problem. Whenever I plug in my Reader and start Calibre, it takes it a little while, but it always sees my Reader and the SD card I have inserted in it...no need for me to start the Sony software.

Hope this helps!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote