Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post

I never make reading goals or participate in challenges because for me, that turns reading into a task to be accomplish rather than the fun thing I do to relax.
I have learned that this is the case for me, too. No more challenges for me. Trying to follow them is what fractures my reading in all directions, instead of concentrating on a series at a time.

I still have some books in Calibre tagged to read in 2013. Still unread.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have learned that this is the case for me, too. No more challenges for me. Trying to follow them is what fractures my reading in all directions, instead of concentrating on a series at a time.

I still have some books in Calibre tagged to read in 2013. Still unread.
There's a really fun challenge making it way through Facebook I am eying.
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free from the author via KDP Select @ Amazon:

Mistaken Kiss by Kathleen Baldwin, 2nd in her My Notorious Aunt series of f/m Regency romances which the blurb and subtitle say are sweet, traditional, and humorous, originally out from Zebra in 2005. The blurb also says that this was a Holt Medallion finalist.

(Aunt Honore is back…)

Willa is nearly blind, but she knows trouble when she trips over it.

Willa, the vicar’s little sister knows full well that her prospects are bleak. When she accidentally kisses Alexander Braeburn, her dull predictable world turns upside down. Logic dictates that she should stay away from the handsome Corinthian. He’s the black sheep of their village. But how can she resist? She yearns for one more taste of the most tantalizing excitement she has ever experienced. Just one more, before Willa settles back into her dreary life forever.

Alex is intrigued by the refreshingly forthright Willa. Her genuine character warms his jaded heart and makes him smile. When she naïvely marches into trouble, Alex feels duty bound to rescue her. Is it duty? Or something else that compels him to watch over the vicar’s little sister?
Old 01-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
First of all, happy belated year! My wallet with all my cards and ids disappeared on Wednesday, so I wasn't very happy yesterday, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
I never make reading goals or participate in challenges because for me, that turns reading into a task to be accomplish rather than the fun thing I do to relax. However, I am going to continue to try to read more of the free and bargain priced books that are languishing on my TBR mountain instead of always being distracted by NEW!!! SHINY!!!
I don't make reading goals (goodreads challenges aren't because they're lower than my expected outcome), and I only do challenges where I can choose the book according to a theme, so my TBR decreases and no too much pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm looking at it, although there're some entries I'm not going to fulfill.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:16 AM   #20
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes, I'm participating in PopSugar's Reading Challenge 2015; even blogged about it here, in BN's NOOK community forums, where I pasted the same numbered list I've posted below, in order to make the items easier to refer to and follow.

I would have worded some of these tasks differently. As written, one has to interpret or adapt some tasks as s/he sees fit, such as the Huh?-inducing #24 and any which do not apply, such a #25 for me.

This thread's participants could likely complete tasks #2, #9, and #34 with both hands tied behind their back!

Quote:
1. A book with more than 500 pages

2. A classic romance

3. A book that became a movie

4. A book published this year

5. A book with a number in the title

6. A book published by someone under 30

7. A book with nonhuman characters

8. A funny book

9. A book by a female author

10. A mystery or thriller

11. A book with a one-word title

12. A book of short stories

13. A book set in a different country

14. A nonfiction book

15. A popular author's first book

16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet

17. A book a friend recommended

18. A Pulitzer Prize-winning book

19. A book based on a true story

20. A book at the bottom of your to-read list

21. A book your mom loves

22. A book that scares you

23. A book more than 100 years old

24. A book based entirely on its cover

25. A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't

26. A memoir

27. A book you can finish in a day

28. A book with antonyms in the title

29. A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit

30. A book that came out the year you were born

31.A book with bad reviews

32. A trilogy [Froide's Note: which really brings this list to 52 books, one book per week!]

33. A book from your childhood

34. A book with a love triangle

35. A book set in the future

36. A book set in high school

37. A book with a color in the title

38. A book that made you cry

39. A book with magic

40. A graphic novel

41. A book by an author you've never read before

42. A book you own but have never read

43. A book that takes place in your hometown

44. A book that was originally written in a different language

45. A book set during Christmas

46. A book written by an author with your same initials

47. A play

48. A banned book

49. A book based on or turned into a TV show

50. A book you started but never finished

Last edited by Froide; 01-03-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 AM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
This thread's participants could likely complete tasks #2, #9, and #34 with both hands tied behind their back!
I don't know why you say that

BTW, same with #24 and #25 here.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #22
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw
If you're looking for fun reading challenges that are not overly time consuming to keep up with (thus making them too task oriented for some), check out the Yearly Challenges in the GR group Romance Readers Reading Challenges (RRRC). Here is a link to the RRRC home page. Here is a link to the Yearly Challenges page/folder as well. Most of them are self-explanatory but there are a couple like Dream Man, the 2015 RRRC Countdown or the 2015 RT Award Nominees that look to be rather interesting.

For me, challenges have focused my reading. I found that because I had so many series, I was reading them almost straight through and getting burnt out on the series after 3 or 4 (in the longer running series) and forcing myself to finish the series. Or, putting it aside because I just couldn't continue then never getting back to it because I forgot about it. But with the challenges, I now have finished more series than ever. Partly because there are challenges focused on series but also because I can choose my books for the challenge categories from a group of started series. So now I read a couple books from several series each month and I'm not getting burnt out on them which means I'm actually enjoying them so much more. I know I could do this without the challenges (purposely choose to only read 2 or 3 books from a series at a time), but I also like the challenges themselves and the group interaction, so it's a win-win for me.

Anyway, just my 2 cents (since it's been awhile since I contributed ).
BTW, I read 302 books in 2014 (my goal was 250). I'll keep the same goal for 2015

Happy New Year to everyone and blessings to all of you on this coming year.

Last edited by laurla; 01-03-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know why you say that

BTW, same with #24 and #25 here.
I read alot of books based on it's cover only. I have a list for #25 books I was suppose to read but didn't. This really does look like a doable challenge which gives you plenty of options.

I suppose I am doing #45 now.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Happy New Year everyone.

I hope to read more this year than last. I tried the challenges on Goodreads a couple of years ago. I think I tried to do too many at once and never finished one. I gave up looking at them by half year. The one listed above, I wouldn't be able to do such. I don't read graphic novels for example, or memoirs. So I'd never be able to finish. I have to read stuff I want to read. So for me the challenge would have to be romance based mostly. I'll check out those romance ones on RRRC.

My thing is always that I don't want it to become a chore. They can't be too narrow. So I could try 2 or 3, but I'll have to find the right ones.

I usually only do the GR reading challenge of how many I read for the year. Thats just a number of what I read, that is it.

So far I read one book this year. I had a really bad reading slump the last 3 months of the year so I hope I'll do better.

I also will try not to buy a lot of books. I already own so many and I said that last year around this time. I have Scribd, library and owned books. I have to work my way through that pile.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
FREE at Amazon. May be self published or republished. Previously written for Fawcett/Ballantine.

http://smile.amazon.com/Blue-Bayou-B...s=parris+bonds
Old 01-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #26
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
FREE at Amazon today.

Montega's Mistress (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #169)
by Doreen Owens Malek

http://smile.amazon.com/Montegas-Mis...a%27s+mistress
Old 01-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #27
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I would have worded some of these tasks differently. As written, one has to interpret or adapt some tasks as s/he sees fit, such as the Huh?-inducing #24 and any which do not apply, such a #25 for me.

#50 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's a good reason I didn't bother finishing those books...
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 AM   #28
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
#50 makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's a good reason I didn't bother finishing those books...
I find that true for some books; even created a "not finished-disliked" category for them in Goodreads. But I'd like to finish certain other books, such as anthologies or textbooks I've read selections or certain chapters of, that left me wanting to read more.

Last edited by Froide; 01-04-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #29
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
Happy New Year Everyone!

Free from Amazon US DE:

Rogue in Red Velvet by Lynne Connolly (Lyrical Press 2014).

Quote:
If Connie loses her standing in society, she risks losing everything…except Alex.

When country widow Constance Rattigan finds herself in a notorious London brothel instead of at the altar, only one person can save her from the auction block. Alex Vernon walked away from Connie once before, when he discovered her engagement. Now that her fiancé has betrayed her, Lord Ripley doesn’t intend to leave her again. But Connie has other ideas… She won’t marry him until her name is cleared.

Alex decides to make Connie’s wishes come true, but it’s not that easy, even with the help of his powerful relatives known as the Emperors of London.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
You've never started a book that was good but you wasn't in the mood for it at the time to finish it? I have a list of these types books. I need to finish.
Closed Thread