Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "fully experience a book", please?
Well I suppose you can define it from the book or from the person. Maybe easier from a persons point of view relative to reading speed since that definition works here. So you fully experience a book if any other way in how fast you read or how much you think about the book do not give you something extra.

So if you skim or skip sections you obviously do not fully experience the book according to that definition.

A definition from the books perspektive seems harder and maybe more fruitful to do it negatively by enumerate situations were you have not done it. Like you must notice all levels put into the book. But maybe you cannot do that how slowly or carefully you read since you are missing background knowledge pr some other reason. So that definition is not so good for the discussion in this thread.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am perhaps wrong in assuming you feel that those who read faster do not experience the book as well as you do? This is the impression I get and if it is completely untrue I certainly am glad to hear it.
I have friends who read much faster than me and and experience the book in some sense better than me. The only thing I talked is that I believe there is a limit on how fast you can read and still experience the book as well or better then good/competent readers that read it more slowly.

But I am not saying that experience better in that sense is in some universal way better. That all depends on what goal you have and so on. Or depend on what moral system you are using and what that say.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #63
B-ratz
B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have friends who read much faster than me and and experience the book in some sense better than me. The only thing I talked is that I believe there is a limit on how fast you can read and still experience the book as well or better then good/competent readers that read it more slowly.

But I am not saying that experience better in that sense is in some universal way better. That all depends on what goal you have and so on. Or depend on what moral system you are using and what that say.
I think all good books deserve reflection and consideration at the time of reading. Some people can read faster than others, and still reflect and consider as much, just at at quicker pace. I believe the more you reflect and consider the more you WILL get out of a book. I think this is undeniable. It depends how you read as well. I love to read in bed, and do so almost everyday. I have got these new beautiful mattresses from this site here, so snuggling onto one and reading is always tempting. However when I read at a table with a hardback, I find my concentration is that much higher, and I get alot more from the experience.

I think with mulitple tabs, and twitter, and BuzzFeed and things like this, we are so used to skim-reading, to moving on to the next article, taking just the bare bones of what we can from a text as fast as possible. I think we can get into this habit, and this can damage the experience when we read literature.

Last edited by B-ratz; 08-19-2014 at 11:33 AM.
B-ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The problem with bemoaning the "damage" that social media and "skim"-reading can have on how we perceive/approach literature is that it ignores the fact that most Readers (capital R) have always had several different reading "modes" at their disposal. Even before the internet we were capable of switching between news/article-, study-, entertainment-, and "deeply refective-" modes of reading. I don't think putting the text on a screen and giving The Reader the ability access it just about anywhere they go has much bearing on their ability to "switch gears," myself. And of the readers who never develop anything other than Tweet-mode, article-browsing reading skills ... well, lets just say I don't believe they'd have been likely to develop "deeper" reading skills even if Facebook, Twitter, BuzzFeed and the like (or the internet in general) had never come to be. After all ... we had people whose only experiences with reading came from skimming short newspaper/magazine-sized snippets long before the internet was invented.

I was asked how I could stand "just sitting there reading books" long before I had my first email account. The skim-reading, what's-the-gist-ma'am, article-browser wasn't born with the internet and social media.

Readers read--in a multitude of gears. Those who ONLY read in tweet-sized chunks, were probably never going to become Readers to begin with.

Social Media isn't killing the Literature Star.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-13-2014 at 10:43 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #65
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Social Media isn't killing the Literature Star.
This.

Also there are Readers and Readers. People look for different things in their reading. I recall discussing reading with an adult when I was a teenager (so very pre-internet) and being shocked that this person, who read a lot of novels, admitted that their usual approach to fiction was "scan the descriptive passages until [he] came to the next section of dialogue". This, he said, came from being forced to read Dickens as a child. He just didn't get much from long flowery descriptions*.

Neither for that matter do I. My horror came more from my neurotic gut feeling that if you don't read every word then you haven't really read it!

(*his words not mine. I've never really read Dickens. He's on my TBR but it's long)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #66
B-ratz
B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.B-ratz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle
I take all your points, but still hold firm on mine.

I am not saying social media has killed the Literature Star (at least, I don't think I am, I am not actually completely sure what that is). And although I agree that people have always read at different gears, and that people have always skim read, I still think the shear amount of text that is available on the internet makes the whole thing an utterly different ball game. When you read a newspaper in the old days, sure, there were other articles that would grab away your attention, but there weren't million of these articles, popping up all over the page, from different sources, different writers, different topics. Any topic. There were only a certain amount of adverts in the pages, and only a certain amount of articles in a paper. This is very different.

Also, I don't think we should necessarily deride this new form of reading. For myself, when wanting to read about a heated topic such as Gaza or Ukraine, I like to jump between US news sites, to Russian ones, to European, (or Arabic / Israeli as the case may be ...). I don't read every article completely, but I like to get the tone from each so i feel I have as rounded and well informed position as possible. When I wrote about this new kind of reading, I wasn't deriding people who only read tweets.

I'm not saying people can't still read literature well, I am just saying that it is a different exercise for our minds, and it takes more and more time to adjust, the more we partake in the skim reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
This.
This.

Social media has changed how we write. It would be ridiculous to suggest it hasn't changed how we read.
B-ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ratz View Post
Social media has changed how we write. It would be ridiculous to suggest it hasn't changed how we read.
All I can say is; it hasn't changed how I read. Internet/Periodicals for browsing. Armchair/bed for Reading.
(I don't write, I consider my social media activities talking.)
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #68
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Quote:
The problem with bemoaning the "damage" that social media and "skim"-reading can have on how we perceive/approach literature is that it ignores the fact that most Readers (capital R) have always had several different reading "modes" at their disposal. Even before the internet we were capable of switching between news/article-, study-, entertainment-, and "deeply refective-" modes of reading.
I think this is absolutely true and being able to do so is the mark of a skilled reader.

With the advent of social media and the Education system giving less emphasis upon being able to memorise, what I do think has changed is the concentration span of younger readers which has to have an effect upon reading habits.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #69
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am beyond caring about my reading speed. I just know it's not as fast as I would like it to be but it's fine cause I don't wanna skim through a book, I enjoy understanding all its words and lines.
I read books to enjoy them, not to be the first to finish reading them.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #70
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
All I can say is; it hasn't changed how I read. Internet/Periodicals for browsing. Armchair/bed for Reading.
(I don't write, I consider my social media activities talking.)
That is a good point. I too don't consider posting really as writing. I never saw it in that light consciously.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #71
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I am beyond caring about my reading speed. I just know it's not as fast as I would like it to be but it's fine cause I don't wanna skim through a book, I enjoy understanding all its words and lines.
I read books to enjoy them, not to be the first to finish reading them.
I don't know fellow readers in real life, so I must appeal to you guys...do you know of people who skim or skip the boring parts to be able to read at a blitzing speed?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I don't know fellow readers in real life, so I must appeal to you guys...do you know of people who skim or skip the boring parts to be able to read at a blitzing speed?
There are people here at MR who have said that they do exactly that. There are also people who do the opposite and say that if you read at a speed that's faster than you could read the book aloud, you can't be fully appreciating it. I don't agree with either of these extremes, but each to their own.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #73
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There are people here at MR who have said that they do exactly that. There are also people who do the opposite and say that if you read at a speed that's faster than you could read the book aloud, you can't be fully appreciating it. I don't agree with either of these extremes, but each to their own.
Ok you don't agree with either schools of thought, so what is your opinion on the matter
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Ok you don't agree with either schools of thought, so what is your opinion on the matter
My opinion on the matter is simple: do whatever works for you - there are no "right" or "wrong" ways to read, as long as you're enjoying it

Last edited by HarryT; 08-25-2014 at 06:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #75
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
My opinion on the matter is simple: do whatever works for you - there are no "right" or "wrong" ways to read, as long as you're enjoying it
Agreed! Gentlemen, to books, the cause of many, and solution to many, of life's problems.