Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See thread: K5 Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.3.x - 5.4.x Fonts Hack
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Arclight: I don't see a fontconfig cache update step here, which probably didn't help, but it's also likely that the framework simply doesn't like one/both of the fonts (it happens, which is part of what the Font Hack can work around).
Sounds to me like Arclight didn't restart the Kindle. To changes fonts for the USE_ALT_FONT backdoor, you have to restart whenever you change any font in font directory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #63
Arclight
Arclight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW (1st Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds to me like Arclight didn't restart the Kindle. To changes fonts for the USE_ALT_FONT backdoor, you have to restart whenever you change any font in font directory.
Duh! You were right. Thx for the reminder. It's showing the fonts.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #64
Financisto
Financisto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Guys,
Unfortunately both methods mentioned don't work on my Kindle PW2 ver 5.4.5.1, which I've just tried to downgrade to 5.4.4

Message is: Update error 007

Is it possible to do something?
Financisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #65
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Financisto
Firmware is not compatible - 5.4.4.2 for PW.
You needed 5.4.3.2 fw, and go here...

Last edited by kaznelson; 08-15-2014 at 04:09 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #66
Bookworm456
Bookworm456 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycityofsky View Post
Today I upgraded my kindle paperwhite(1st generation) to 5.4.4, but I found many settings not comfortable with me. For example:

1. Dictionary. I have several dictionaries in my kindle. When I look a word up on 5.3.5, it would search all the dictionaries and display the meaning of it if any of those dictionaries contains the definition of the word. But on 5.4.4, it would only search the main dictionary, and I have to switch to other dictionary to see if it contains the word.

2. Highlight. When I click one word on 5.3.5, the left button is "Highlight", which I use frequently. But now on 5.4.4, it is a "search" button, and I have to click one more button to reach the "Highlight" button, which is very inconvenient to me.

With the expression of those troubles, I just hope someone could tell me if I can do something to change it. If I these are just the characteristics of 5.4.4, could anyone tell me how to downgrade 5.4.4 to 5.3.5? I have downloaded the update_kindle_5.3.5.bin file from the Internet and put in the root directory, then unplugged the USB cable. But I found that the "update" button in settings was grey. Plugging USB again, I found that Kindle had automaically deleted the file. I have tried different bin files from 5.3.1 to 5.3.6, none works. Does Amazon forbid Kindle from downgrading on this version? Thanks a lot!
I also tried to downgrade my PW1 from 5.4.4.2 to the previous one, and found the same thing: that the .bin file had been deleted, but the firmware had not changed. I talked to someone at Amazon, and they told me that there is no way to a) stop a firmware upgrade from occurring , and b) to downgrade to a previous firmware. I do remember seeing another post someplace here where you could perhaps downgrade the firmware by editing the config files when connected to a Linux computer. I'm looking for that post now.
Bookworm456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #67
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm456 View Post
I also tried to downgrade my PW1 from 5.4.4.2 to the previous one, and found the same thing: that the .bin file had been deleted, but the firmware had not changed. I talked to someone at Amazon, and they told me that there is no way to a) stop a firmware upgrade from occurring , and b) to downgrade to a previous firmware. I do remember seeing another post someplace here where you could perhaps downgrade the firmware by editing the config files when connected to a Linux computer. I'm looking for that post now.
see posts 13 & 23 of this thread.

(no config editing needed. Never heard that one.)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #68
matstephens23
matstephens23 began at the beginning.

HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameho View Post
Download this file http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qW8nWwk

Extract to your kindle root path.
Paste the update file to the folder: update.
Update your kindle in the setting menu
I have tried this link and many others on my PW 2 to downgrade the fw but when I put them onto the kindle I get Error Message 007. What am I doing wrong? An help on this issue would be awesome!
matstephens23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #69
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameho View Post
Download this file http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qW8nWwk

Extract to your kindle root path.
Paste the update file to the folder: update.
Update your kindle in the setting menu
Doesn't work, still broken

my serial number starts w/ 9017

Last edited by Zombater; 08-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Zombater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #70
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombater View Post
Doesn't work, still broken
It worked for me, but it took several attempts.

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly about rebooting the Kindle manually *before* disconnecting it from your computer.

Then install the back door lock.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #71
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
It worked for me, but it took several attempts.

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly about rebooting the Kindle manually *before* disconnecting it from your computer.

Then install the back door lock.
The downgrader from Ameho won't work on 5.4.5.x as the new firmwares can't be jailbroken.
Fortunately the noeject-and-reboot trick is universal and works without any helper hacks or other preconditions.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #72
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcyon View Post
Thank god for that! I can finally use my custom fonts on my PW1 again! Or is there another (simple) method to do it with the latest firmware?

The Problem I have now is: How do I prevent my Kindle PW1 from updating again?
I just did this last night and tonight I turned my PW on and it was like I never did it. It's back to 5.4.4.2 or whatever the hell it is. How did you lock yours? Was it successful?

I guess I can disable the wifi altogether (plane mode didn't help!) and hope that that works, after I do the downgrade all over again...

$*%$*%&$%*&$% amazon!
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #73
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

See: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates
Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #74
Shalk
Shalk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 - KPW2
Did not work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bookworm View Post
Hi NiLuJe

This is what is currently in my PW1:-

1) .active_content_sandbox (folder)
2) documents (folder)

I just copy the update folder (which has the 5.3.9 file in it) and Ameho's file: update_zh_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh zh.sh) straight onto the PW1?

Also there was another file in Ameho's attachment: zh.sh Do I copy this too?

Thank you for your patience in answering my questions.

Hello friends, this is the first time I participate in this forum, thanks for your patience.

I did exactly the same steps that 1Bookworm did, however it did not work for me.

I have a KindlePaperWhite 2, with firmware version 5.4.5.1, model number 9017....

I tried with the old version files 5.4.2, 5.3.9 but did not work. I downloaded these versions from here:http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Last edited by Shalk; 10-28-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Shalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #75
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Right above you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
The downgrader from Ameho won't work on 5.4.5.x as the new firmwares can't be jailbroken.
Fortunately the noeject-and-reboot trick is universal and works without any helper hacks or other preconditions.
@dsmid, if I understand correctly, this works because the boot-time updater does not check for downgrade attempts, and only the framework deletes downgrades?

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-28-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Tags
downgrade