Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Yes. At certain settings at certain times of the day, you cannot tell that the light is on. The light indicator bar is there so that there is no mistaking that the light is on and unnecessarily draining your battery. We're looking at offering a setting to not use it.
That would be great!
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Yes. At certain settings at certain times of the day, you cannot tell that the light is on. The light indicator bar is there so that there is no mistaking that the light is on and unnecessarily draining your battery. We're looking at offering a setting to not use it.
If you are looking for suggestions, maybe instead of the big black bar you can use a discreet lightbulb icon on the bottom.

Or if you want it to be blunt (not discreet) you can use a big,big lightbulb icon. Any icon (even a large one) would be less annoying than that big black bar.

Last edited by winsomnia; 09-14-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: bigger lightbulb
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
First, a big thank you Sameer for addressing these questions, very much appreciated.

1) I'm probably beating a dead horse on this one, but having tried 2.0 and 2.1.1 and seeing the home screen of the KG presentation by you, I still really much prefer the 1.9.17 Home screen. Even with the bottom part of the screen taken up by the Shortlist (rather than New Releases) I find it less busy than the newer firmware Home screens.

2 & 3) Pretty much confirms what I thought and nice to actually now know. #2 is one reason why I like having the Shortlist on the bottom of the screen in 1.9.17.

4) I can't say my KT is less responsive than the KG it just seems the KG was more responsive in the video but it could just be finger size, I'm 6'4", 250 lbs so I don't have small hands . Really need to dig out my stylus and see how it compares, I like using it I just forget to and then forget where I left it...

5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
If you are looking for suggestions, maybe instead of the big black bar you can use a discreet icon on the bottom.

Or if you want it to be blunt (not discreet) you can use a big,big lightbulb icon. Any icon (even a large one) would be less annoying than that big black bar.
I was thinking the same thing, a small icon in the lower right or left corner (optional to the black bar) would be good. A reminder that the light is on as well as a way to access the light options for brightness control but still be unobtrusive when reading.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm happy to hear the screen is more durable than, ahem, competitor's readers. Will be interesting to see what the early adopters think.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Captions Title & Author for book covers on home screen would still be helpful to know what covers are for what book. 1.9.17 with really small covers on bottom line of covers, for short list..., this was really needed.

I bought package of 10 styluses at Walmart for $5. Really cheap water color brush with plastic handle I cut to 4inches. Works better than finger.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #21
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post

2) Does the Home screen still replace the books you are reading with newly added books, requiring you to hunt in the library to find the book you were currently reading if more that 4 new books are added? I've noticed this still happening with 2.1.1.
Quote:

Yes it does. I think Mtn_man mentioned this, but this is done so that when you have just purchased a book, you have immediate access to it from the home screen.
Hmm. Until I read this I was pretty sure I was going to jump from my PRS-T1 to the Glo but this "feature" makes me rethink that. I have currently close to 600 books on my T1 and I buy new books every few weeks. Getting to see the new books I bought on the Homescreen is all nice and good but not if it means I have to search for the book I'm currently reading. I know others might not care about that but for me personally that's a reason not to buy the Klo.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
That said, the front light technology that we use for Kobo Glo is more resilient than some other tech that is in the market today. That is to say, if the device is in your purse or bag and is coming into regular contact with, oh I don't know.. say keys for example the front light will likely not suffer catastrophic failure such as we have seen with some competitors.
That's a great clarification because while it has been mentioned that Amazon have done something different to the Nook, I'd actually read at least one review that mentions the Kobo Glo is using the same lighting tech as the Nook Glowlight - which was obviously a concern.

Obviously time will tell just how robust both the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo screens are, but this is good news.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Obviously time will tell just how robust both the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo screens are
I'd say they won't be significantly more or less robust than all other eInk screens, as long as they're still on glass substrate. I can't imagine how a touch- or light-layer put on the front of the display could possibly stop the back from breaking. All display breaks look like this already, you never see any damage on the front, that's why people come here to ask "huh what happened to my display now?"

It's too bad really as a unbreakable screen would've been a huge leg up over the competition, but apparently these displays aren't available in numbers or in the price range required?

Maybe in another 2 years
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think you are probably quite right about the screens in general, they'll all continue to be something that should be handled with care. I should have made it clearer but I was meaning how robust the lighting part of the screens is in comparison to the not very robust Nook Glowlight, which has had hotspots appearing with just fairly minimal contact causing it. So this makes it good news that the Kobo Glo is using something more resilient.

The flexible screen that LG have come up with is probably just too new and costly for e-readers to use right now. There might be other issues too, it might not be as clear as the standard glass?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-15-2012 at 09:34 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes please, make it optional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
If you are looking for suggestions, maybe instead of the big black bar you can use a discreet lightbulb icon on the bottom.

Yes please at this too.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I'd say they won't be significantly more or less robust than all other eInk screens, as long as they're still on glass substrate. I can't imagine how a touch- or light-layer put on the front of the display could possibly stop the back from breaking.
The problem with the Nook Glowlight is that the diffusion layer on top of the screen is extremely susceptible to damage which shows up as a bright spot whenever the light is on. Even a very minor knock against the screen is apparently sufficient (one person on the Nook forums said that it happened when she dropped a mini-USB plug on her Glowlight), and there have been a number of reports of Glowlight units fresh out of the box showing signs of damage, or hot spots spontaneously appearing after a few weeks.

So whatever technology Kobo is using on the Glo, lets hope it's at least robust enough to stand up to the rigors of normal use.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #27
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I haven't seen it yet but Sameer didn't have to post anything so this is really great that he did. Thanks Sameer.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post

Does the Home screen still replace the books you ARE reading with newly added books so that you have to hunt in the library to find your book again? As I haven't added any books since before I upgraded to 2.1.1 I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not.
2.1.1 still replaces the books you are reading with newly added books. My workaround is to hit library/books/recent reads to quickly get my current reads back on the home screen.

Given that I often add 10 or more books at a time and will have 4 books open, it would be nice if they added a "new additions" shelf which would show newly added books until you started reading them when they would automagically be removed from the list and not add them to the home page.

What? Me? Demanding? Moi?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-16-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Jellyware dictionary failure
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
2.1.1 still replaces the books you are reading with newly added books. My workaround is to hit library/books/recent reads to quickly get my current reads back on the home screen.

Given that I often add 10 or more books at a time and will have 4 books open, it would be nice if they added a "new additions" shelf which would show newly added books until you started reading them when they would automagically be removed from the list and not add them to the home page.
Yes please!!

I can understand the logic to put one newly bought book right there in the home screen (pushing away the book(s) that you're currently reading), but only if that's the way you use the device. How many people are actually happy with that? Who buys a book or sideloads a book after they've finished reading their current reads? Well, maybe some people but not me and not anyone that I know (of). Also, I never ever put on just one new book, it's always in a batch of a whole series or a bunch of books. It just doesn't make sense to have all of those be put on the home screen, pushing current reads away. I'm never going to read all the new books right away and all at once.

Please either:
- Make a "newly added" shelf and leave the home screen alone, like DNSB suggests
or:
- Make it a user preference to put new additions onto the home screen or not
or:
- Both.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #30
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes please!!

I can understand the logic to put one newly bought book right there in the home screen (pushing away the book(s) that you're currently reading), but only if that's the way you use the device. How many people are actually happy with that? Who buys a book or sideloads a book after they've finished reading their current reads? Well, maybe some people but not me and not anyone that I know (of). Also, I never ever put on just one new book, it's always in a batch of a whole series or a bunch of books. It just doesn't make sense to have all of those be put on the home screen, pushing current reads away. I'm never going to read all the new books right away and all at once.

Please either:
- Make a "newly added" shelf and leave the home screen alone, like DNSB suggests
or:
- Make it a user preference to put new additions onto the home screen or not
or:
- Both.
Good suggestions!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote