Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Newbie basic question re Word documents

Please don't laugh at this simple question. I'm a newbie, and I know this is a really fundamental concept that I don't know.

I have found two documents on the internet I would like to read on an eBook reader. Unfortunately, I do not believe that they are currently available as eBooks.

So I cut and pasted them into my MS Word documents. My Word copies look just like they did on the internet. Is that a formatting issue?

Are all Word documents pdf's?

So is it possible to move these two documents from my computer to an eBook reader? Would it have to be one that reads pdf's or another format?

Should I use calibre for these documents?

Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Word documents aren't PDFs.
You can use the File/Save As... option in the Toolbar to save a document in a variety of formats. (As long as what was pasted was actual text, and not page images from a PDF file on the web ).

What you may end up with is a text with the same layout as the web page (i.e. unwanted line breaks) that will look horrible on your eReader.

This thread describes different techinques to tidy up the layout.

Incidentally, this query may be more appropriate for the 'Workshop' forum rather than 'Which One Should I Buy'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The simplest transfer to an ebook reader would be to save it in Word as an .rtf file, then copy it over to a Sony Reader. (A few other ebook devices may also handle .rtf files.) You may also want to find the best font size when saving the file, so that the text is a good size on the device.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Are all Word documents pdf's?
Nope, Word doucments are .doc or .docx but can also be saved as .rtf and other formats

Quote:
So is it possible to move these two documents from my computer to an eBook reader? Would it have to be one that reads pdf's or another format?
A Sony could read them as .rtf's, the Pocket Pro can read .doc files
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope, Word doucments are .doc or .docx but can also be saved as .rtf and other formats

A Sony could read them as .rtf's, the Pocket Pro can read .doc files
Sony can also read .doc files.

It's only Calibre that can't transfer .doc files.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post

Technically the Sony software converts the Doc files, it will only work if you have a copy of Word. Or am I wrong?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
The best way I have found is to save the file as "web page, filtered" in Word and then use calibre to convert it to .lrf to put on the liseuse. As long as it looks good in Word, it always ends up looking perfect.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Technically the Sony software converts the Doc files, it will only work if you have a copy of Word. Or am I wrong?
Well yes, you have to have Word installed on your computer.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Actually, I would go back to your source HTML. If you don't already have a local copy then save one from the web. Next download calibre:
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download

You can easily "Add Books" in Calibre to import an HTML file. Then you can convert it using Calibre to any desirable output format.

********* Edit **************
I see Superlucky beat me to the calibre recommendation
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for all your contributions! I feel great now, knowing that I can transfer to an eBook reader any web document that looks interesting.

Sparrow, I figured that this was the wrong forum, but didn't have a clue which would be the right one. I'll be sure to use the Workshop forum in the future.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

I have some Russian ebooks in rtf format that look fine in Word, but don't show up on my Reader properly. (The characters become gibberish.) Do I have to manually set the character encoding somehow? (And when?) Or would it be easier to save these docs as pdfs and transfer those directly to the Reader?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The Sony Library can convert .doc files (possibly only if you have Microsoft Office), but the Sony Reader doesn't read them natively; you can't drag-and-drop .docs onto the PRS to read them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I have some Russian ebooks in rtf format that look fine in Word, but don't show up on my Reader properly. (The characters become gibberish.) Do I have to manually set the character encoding somehow? (And when?) Or would it be easier to save these docs as pdfs and transfer those directly to the Reader?
This thread should help: special characters on prs 505
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
RTF Unicode Converter:
http://www.roomarranger.com/reader/
You still need to have Cyrillic fonts on the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
This thread should help: special characters on prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
RTF Unicode Converter:
http://www.roomarranger.com/reader/
You still need to have Cyrillic fonts on the Reader.
Thanks! (My 500/505 has been 'russified' for a long time now... )