Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #646
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
That stuff looks like it would be perfect for a black Aura! I wonder if it's possible to buy a smaller roll anywhere local?
Most Google searches in the USA seem to be localized (local results show
up first), it might be the same in Canada. There are a few places, like the
PC Case Mod sites that offer kits with small sheets.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #647
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've put a request in to have the title of that thread updated to include Aura.
It is my opinion that you Kobo guys will be seeing a bunch of us who only
just now gained an interest in Kobo because of the Aura HD. There should
be plenty of newbees like me here asking our stupid questions, for a while.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #648
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Never mind about the "How To" for opening the case, I was able to get it open by just running my thumbnail around where the two parts join. There
is some tape around the inside edge of the bezel but it separated from the
screen nicely. You can't tell much from the attached pic., but the inside of this brown
Aura HD is a shiny piano black.
The real question (for us devs): is there an internal micro SD card?
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #649
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
The real question (for us devs): is there an internal micro SD card?
I will shortly remove the four screws, on the corners, and take a peek (and
a pic.).

Luck;
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	045.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	105271  

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #650
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What the above means is that if you eject and replace an SD card, it is reasonable fast. But, if you eject it and put a different one in, all books on the first card are removed from the database and all books from the new card are added. That can take some time if the card has a lot of books. If the cards share contents, such as you copied the books from one card to another and added more books, it should treat it as the same card and only process the differences. But, I haven't tried this.

The above is based on experimentation with my Touch and Glo over all the different firmware versions. The above is what the current state seems to be. As the firmware is common between the devices, I expect the Aura HD to work in the same way.
Thanks for the warning. Looks like it might be better to stick to 32GB cards, along with not mixing manga and ebooks on the same card. Manga is bigger so 32GB (~30GiB formatted) would hold roughly 600 volumes (at an average of 50MiB/volume) so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too awful. How does thumbnail generation work? Does it do it when you insert a new card? Because I'm thinking that'll be the most CPU intensive/time consuming given manga tend not to have metadata thus, there's less data that needs to be processed compared to a normal epub ebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
So it might be a wise move for those with lots of manga to upgrade their internal SD card with a 32GB and then use a 32GB in the external slot to get the most space?
Meh, too much hassle. Part of the reason I prefer using microSD cards is so I don't have to connect my devices to the computer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #651
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For those who might be interested, the FCC testing reports are available at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm supply NOI for grantee code, and KBN204B for product code.

The Internal / External photos are confidential though until May 30, 2013.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #652
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've put a request in to have the title of that thread updated to include Aura.
And the Shelf thread has now been renamed to include Aura.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #653
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
:thumbup:
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #654
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
For those who might be interested, the FCC testing reports are available at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm supply NOI for grantee code, and KBN204B for product code.

The Internal / External photos are confidential though until May 30, 2013.
I hope they won't be too upset with the photos I've posted. If they were
it would be totally stupid, on their part.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #655
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Looks like Kobo has been slightly inaccurate with their weight specs once again. Two electronic scales agree that my Aura weighs 245g, not 240.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #656
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
I hope they won't be too upset with the photos I've posted. If they were
it would be totally stupid, on their part.

Luck;
Ken
I can't believe you did that to your brand new Aura! :O
Balls of steel!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #657
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will shortly remove the four screws, on the corners, and take a peek (and
a pic.).

Luck;
Ken
Sure looks like a 4 GB SD card
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #658
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
It is my opinion that you Kobo guys will be seeing a bunch of us who only
just now gained an interest in Kobo because of the Aura HD. There should
be plenty of newbees like me here asking our stupid questions, for a while.

Luck;
Ken
Me! And though I didn't order an Aura, I have a Mini now, and a Glo on the way!

I always thought Kobo's were too buggy! Until I started reading more about them here in MR!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #659
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
An internal 4GB Sandisk SD-card. LOL. Then why have "internal" memory at al? Just position this slot at the edge and make it the primary one, requiring the user to put an SD-card in there to be able to use the device, just as you'd put a SIM-card into a telephone.

By doing it this way, they'd be able to sell the Aura in 2GB up to 32GB versions with almost negligile differences in cost to them. Maybe they should pull an Apple: €50 more for each higher version. After people discover that the "internal" memory is provided by an SD-card that just costs €5 and can be replaced if desired, they'd sure be upset... and feel set up too...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #660
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Sure looks like a 4 GB SD card
It appears to be a SanDisk class 4 4GB MicroSD. I have some Class 10
8GB MicroSD cards on the way from Newegg, one of them may be destined
to replace the 4GB, if I can follow the instructions to make the exchange.
I already made the image of the current memory.

Luck;
Ken