Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
0.6 Beta take 2 (0.5.905)

A new set of betas are now available for download. The number of changes is massive. Meme and Kiwidude have put in a lot of work to help get this release ready. I'd put the total work for 0.6 even between the three of us.

One change I will mention about this beta is the old style BookView is back.

I'm very interested in OS X feedback. I'm not 100% sure if the package will work because I built the package without XCode itself. I used the command line tools package. I also built it with Qt from HomeBrew. I'm also interested to know if it works on Lion since I didn't specify a specific SDK version to build against.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
OMG Did you guys load this release up on Nitro-Methane.?
It is Smokn' fast

20 chapters of files renamed.. seconds instead of a minute or more
Validate faster
S&R All faster
Only thing that appears slower is closing a section tab, and that is not terrible.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Looking good so far - Been watching the commits, some very nifty options and changes. Well done guys

My useless comments so far:
  • Back button - perhaps move to the view toolbar?
  • Insert anchor/link - these look like they should be in the insert toolbar?
  • Regex options in the search menu - perhaps bump this up to under search/replace (in the group?). Seems strange at the bottom.
  • Tools menu - Move 'check for well formed errors' into the same group as spellcheck?
  • Tools menu - Move metadata editor to the ToC/index group?
  • Search menu - 'Go to line', does it need to be in its own group?
  • Case modifiers - 'Propercase' sounds a bit strange - while it's not really title case, most editors call it title case.
  • Preferences - 'Clean Source' - does it needs its own pane? Seems a bit odd, but nothing wrong if it'll stay there in the long term.
  • Clips - Yup, more semantics! Most editors call these snippets, which to me makes a lot more sense and does not confuse with clipboard management stuff, which is fairly common (and something I will never understand).
  • Search editor - 'Search preset editor'? or something similar. I love semantics, it's true.

Relating to icons. I am offering to do this work (in rasters) if it helps!:
  • Insert anchor - The flag kinda makes sense, but anchors make more sense
  • Insert character - The omega isn't bad, but for desktop stuff isn't the accented 'a' icon more common?
  • General comment on all the insert icons - They could do with a more uniform look, with a little + or something?
  • Case modifier icons - They don't really make sense.
  • Add existing files - Makes sense but looks kinda odd.
  • Metadata editor - A bit meh, maybe put the info 'i' over a book?
  • Chapter break/marker - could do with new icons which offer a suggestion to the functions.

But yeah - all in all a real improvement, haven't got round to functionality, but it's getting rather powerful!

PS. Save split view and you guys will be heroes forevaaaah.

Edit : also, as posted above, everything about this is now fast. I'm not a person to care about load times or anything, but sigil opens faster than foobar... freakishly fast. I actually didn't see it load and launched a second copy because there was no launch feedback.

Last edited by Serpentine; 09-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Thanks for the comments!

There's definitely a lot in this release. We've done a lot of testing, but also quite a few updates recently so anything you find no matter how small let us know. We definitely need your reports of any bugs, typos, suggestions. And if there is something you particularly like feel free to let us know so we don't remove it

I still need to update the User Guide so if you have any questions about how something works or has changed just post.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great stuff. Lots of these were debated and some things were just done to have something there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OMG Did you guys load this release up on Nitro-Methane.?
It is Smokn' fast

20 chapters of files renamed.. seconds instead of a minute or more
Validate faster
S&R All faster
Only thing that appears slower is closing a section tab, and that is not terrible.
We'll look into the closing tab as we noticed it was a bit slower. Especially if you have lots of tabs and right-click on the heading to close all other tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Looking good so far - Been watching the commits, some very nifty options and changes. Well done guys

My useless comments so far:
  • Back button - perhaps move to the view toolbar?
  • Insert anchor/link - these look like they should be in the insert toolbar?
  • Regex options in the search menu - perhaps bump this up to under search/replace (in the group?). Seems strange at the bottom.
  • Tools menu - Move 'check for well formed errors' into the same group as spellcheck?
  • Tools menu - Move metadata editor to the ToC/index group?
  • Search menu - 'Go to line', does it need to be in its own group?
  • Case modifiers - 'Propercase' sounds a bit strange - while it's not really title case, most editors call it title case.
  • Preferences - 'Clean Source' - does it needs its own pane? Seems a bit odd, but nothing wrong if it'll stay there in the long term.
  • Clips - Yup, more semantics! Most editors call these snippets, which to me makes a lot more sense and does not confuse with clipboard management stuff, which is fairly common (and something I will never understand).
  • Search editor - 'Search preset editor'? or something similar. I love semantics, it's true.
  • Back button - started on the View but was hidden so ended on Search. Partnered with go to link/style.
  • Insert anchor/link icons are on their own toolbar group with back to link so all link related items are together, but reasonable to have them on the insert group.
  • Regex options were just left at the bottom - seems reasonable to move it under Find/Replace.
  • Tools menu - 'check for well formed errors' is not related to spell check, and needs to be visible/easy to access. I removed the icon to avoid accidental use by users though.
  • Tools menu - metadata editor was there to be prominent, but with its own icon now grouping the book items makes sense.
  • Search menu - 'Go to line' could be grouped with goto link.
  • Case modifiers - If 'Title' case is used, then we might give that a go
  • Preferences - 'Clean Source' on preferences is new But I think it does need its own pane as its so critical. We don't want to hide options too much with large groups.
  • Clips - Snippet Editor? Hmmm. Will have to think on that one. Clips was used by some tools so I don't think its unique. It used to be Clipboard Editor
  • Search editor - 'Search preset editor' doesn't sounds right. Search Editor is simpler. It was Search Manager, but Editor is more consistent with the others.

Quote:
Relating to icons. I am offering to do this work (in rasters) if it helps!:
  • Insert anchor - The flag kinda makes sense, but anchors make more sense
  • Insert character - The omega isn't bad, but for desktop stuff isn't the accented 'a' icon more common?
  • General comment on all the insert icons - They could do with a more uniform look, with a little + or something?
  • Case modifier icons - They don't really make sense.
  • Add existing files - Makes sense but looks kinda odd.
  • Metadata editor - Feel free to PM me a suggestion, though the i needs to be prominent so I might just darken it a bit to keep it simple.
  • Chapter break/marker - could do with new icons which offer a suggestion to the functions.
  • Insert anchor - An anchor might make more sense, but I could only draw a flag and that took long enough Feel free to PM me a suggestion (22px/16px) but I'm not overly concerned. Anchors can look confusing, and in fact both the insert id and insert link insert an anchor tag with a different attribute, so an anchor could mean either.
  • Insert character - Omega was used by other tools so just borrowed. Its not actually in the list Could try A' but not sure who else uses it?
  • General comment on all the insert icons - A + on all the icons would make them look a bit busy. With them re-grouped it should be clearer.
  • Case modifier icons - Seems sensible to me and I didn't do those
  • Add existing files - Other suggestions? A + on the folder is possible but didn't look right either, at least the way I did it. At least its visible - one reason save as came off as it was too easy to confuse with save.
  • Metadata editor - A bit meh, maybe put the info 'i' over a book?
  • Chapter break/marker - feel free to PM suggestions, but they've been there a long time so people are familiar with them. Icons take a lot of time and they are never right

Quote:
But yeah - all in all a real improvement, haven't got round to functionality, but it's getting rather powerful!

PS. Save split view and you guys will be heroes forevaaaah.
Split view is gone. Preview view is it, even if it won't be used by many. Split view caused all the problems that almost caused Book View to be dropped. Now all the caret syncing works perfectly.

Quote:
Edit : also, as posted above, everything about this is now fast. I'm not a person to care about load times or anything, but sigil opens faster than foobar... freakishly fast. I actually didn't see it load and launched a second copy because there was no launch feedback.

Great to hear its faster!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Nice. I like that the text style buttons work in the code view.

I did have a problem, but it probably isn't actually Sigil's. I usually start Sigil from calibre with the Open With pliugin. When I did this, it put up a MS Visual C++ Runtime Library error with Sigil.exe. The error was:

Code:
R6034
AN application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
When I press the OK button, it Sigil starts OK.

This is on Windows 7 with the latest calibre 0.8.69 and whatever is the latest version of Open With.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm also very impressed by the many new features that you guys added. Unfortunately, I also found a bug in the inline TOC code of the 32bit Windows version.

When Sigil 0.5.905 first generates an inline TOC, it uses the following address format:

Code:
<a href="Text/file.html#toc_marker">Chapter Title</a>
This works great in Sigil 0.5.905, but it doesn't work in ADE. The format should be:

Code:
<a href="../Text/file.html#toc_marker">Chapter Title</a>
To replicate this issue generate the NCX TOC and then the HTML TOC. Validate the epub. Flightcrew will complain about unreachable files in the <spine> and <manifest> sections.

The weird thing is when I opened the very same epub file again, all HTML TOC links were displayed correctly even though TOC.html was still missing the ../ path specification.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I did have a problem, but it probably isn't actually Sigil's. I usually start Sigil from calibre with the Open With pliugin. When I did this, it put up a MS Visual C++ Runtime Library error with Sigil.exe. The error was:

Code:
R6034
AN application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
When I press the OK button, it Sigil starts OK.

This is on Windows 7 with the latest calibre 0.8.69 and whatever is the latest version of Open With.
@davidfor - I get that on my machine too - but only with the packaged 32-bit build. The 64-bit build on Windows 7 x64 with Open With works fine. And launching Sigil 32-bit from the shortcut works fine.

On XP, the 32-bit build also gives the Open With error, but Sigil will actually still open after the error.

From my quick googling it looks like the Sigil packaging may need tweaking to include a manifest - I suspect calibre is using different versions of these dlls and there is an incompatibility error being thrown about different versions being loaded side by side. But I'm sure John will figure it

Last edited by kiwidude; 09-21-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Added XP information.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I'm also very impressed by the many new features that you guys added. Unfortunately, I also found a bug in the inline TOC code of the 32bit Windows version.

When Sigil 0.5.905 first generates an inline TOC, it uses the following address format:

Code:
<a href="Text/file.html#toc_marker">Chapter Title</a>
This works great in Sigil 0.5.905, but it doesn't work in ADE. The format should be:

Code:
<a href="../Text/file.html#toc_marker">Chapter Title</a>
To replicate this issue generate the NCX TOC and then the HTML TOC. Validate the epub. Flightcrew will complain about unreachable files in the <spine> and <manifest> sections.

The weird thing is when I opened the very same epub file again, all HTML TOC links were displayed correctly even though TOC.html was still missing the ../ path specification.
Noted and will fix for the next release.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks for letting book view and code view stay in sync. It is most useful. It is quite fast on Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On spellcheck next, the default Cntrl-Alt-S gets intercepted on my HP computer. I assigned F12 to it and it works fine. Might be useful to have a note in the dialog box to just press the key combination to enter it the dialog box. I tried unsuccessfully to type in F12, until I pressed the key.

In book view, the editor still leaves text marked, but not actually selected , after you do a cut and paste from elsewhere.

This is merely annoying.

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-21-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
On spellcheck next, the default Cntrl-Alt-S gets intercepted on my HP computer. I assigned F12 to it and it works fine. Might be useful to have a note in the dialog box to just press the key combination to enter it the dialog box. I tried unsuccessfully to type in F12, until I pressed the key.

In book view, the editor still leaves text marked, but not actually selected , after you do a cut and paste from elsewhere.

This is merely annoying.
Alt keys are a pain - will consider re-assigning to F4, and add a tooltip to the box.

Not sure what you mean by marked but not selected. For me if I paste the text is left unselected and my cursor just after it, which seems ok.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Cool! Can't wait to build the 64-bit Linux version tonight after work and play a bit.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone

I often try to keep footnotes from splitting a paragraph. So I will go after a footnote, highlight the rest of the paragraph, cut, and paste in new location. After I click in a new location to do further work, the previous pasted selection remains highlighted, even if I highlight something else. No clicking, etc removes the original highlight and action performed on new highlighting is effective only on the new highlighting.

It is as if the program does not clear the old highlighting once a mouse click is made elsewhere. I think it would be acceptable to clear the highlighting once the paste action is done.

A BIT LATER - It is not consistent. It does act as you describe when I tried it just now. I will have to see what conditions cause it so it can be tracked down.

AFTER THAT- Do the actions I did, then click in front of the pasted section and press space bar. It highlights and can not be cleared.

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-21-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
It is as if the program does not clear the old highlighting once a mouse click is made elsewhere. I think it would be acceptable to clear the highlighting once the paste action is done.
I take it this would NOT clear the clipboard (still allowing: Multiple Pastes)?
Closed Thread