Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
ieatpaste
ieatpaste began at the beginning.

Device: none - considering hanlin or sony 505
Cheap Netbook Tablet - Always Innovating

FYI

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

This is essentially a tablet with a detachable keyboard and the keyboard includes an extended battery.

Specs
* 9.4" x 7" x 1.4" for 2 lbs (with keyboard)
* ARM Texas Instruments OMAP3 chip
* 1024x600 8.9'' screen
* Storage: 8GB micro SD card
* Wifi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth
* 3-dimensional accelerometer
* Speakers, micro and headphone
* 6 USB 2.0 (3 internal, 2 external, 1 mini)
* 10h to 15 hours of battery life (tablet alone 3-5hrs)

Price

$300 Tablet + $100 for Keyboard/Extended Battery

I decided to get this instead of the Hanlin v3. The only drawback is the battery life sucks.
ieatpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is an interesting device at a reasonable price. It runs Linux, although they don't say so explicitly (perhaps "everyone" knows that Openembedded is Linux). Do they pre-install FBReader and a PDF reader?

One of the problems in the past with Linux-based small consumer devices is that the vendors want to hide the Linux interface, and this makes it harder than it has to be for users to get apps like FBReader onto them. Always Innovating isn't necessarily doing this, but their web pages are of the dumbed down for consumers variety.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatpaste View Post
I decided to get this instead of the Hanlin v3. The only drawback is the battery life sucks.
That and the fact that fact that backlight LCD is harder on the eyes and doesn't work well under sunlight.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
It depends. My Gigabyte M912-M tablet has LED backlight and it's EXCELLENT even in direct sunlight.
However like every backlit LCD screen it's hard on my eyes, yes.

If you're more interested, look at UMPC's amazing database (make sure you change "show" to "all"): http://www.umpcportal.com/products/
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Rumplestilzken
Rumplestilzken began at the beginning.

Device: TouchBook
Just preordered mine like a week ago, cant wait.
Rumplestilzken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert