Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #166
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
According to the site, it uses "button" style batteries. That is a deal breaker for me, since they are harder to find/replace. I will stick with the official Sony lighted cover which uses a single AAA.
CR2025 (or was it CR2032?) batteries are the flat batteries that are used in computer motherboards, garage door remotes, etc. They are pretty easy to find in grocery stores, drug stores, computer stores, retail stores like Target or Walmart and just about almost anywhere you can buy a battery at. They are lithium batteries so they last way longer than a AAA.

No criticism, just saying.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #167
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Sorry folks, I got distracted... My Gecko Luxe arrived early this past week, about one week for shipping into Canada. It came in the post, looking like a fat envelope, and no extra charges.
It feels like soft leather on the outside, the inside feels like soft suede; it's really comfortable to hold. The cover folds back easily and gets out of the way. There are two pockets that could hold flat things like microSD cards or credit cards.
The reader is held in very securely by a flap that folds underneath the reader at the crease, and is held there by a Velcro® patch.
It's much less expensive than the Sony covers and much more attractive, in my opinion.

I ordered the luxe thinking it was the one with the light but it isn't. However, it arrived yesterday and I rather like it, but I really wanted the one with the light because I like to read at night with the lights off except for the one in the reader.

It's a snug fit, but I find the bottom frame is really close to the buttons... a little too close to the buttons so you have to angle your finger just right to hit the buttons. But otherwise I really like it.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #168
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
CR2025 (or was it CR2032?) batteries are the flat batteries that are used in computer motherboards, garage door remotes, etc. They are pretty easy to find in grocery stores, drug stores, computer stores, retail stores like Target or Walmart and just about almost anywhere you can buy a battery at. They are lithium batteries so they last way longer than a AAA.

No criticism, just saying.
According to GeckoCovers's facebook wall:
"GeckoCovers.com Dag Peter, de cover weegt 158 grams, hij gebruikt 2 celknoop batterijen type: CR 2032 3V. The stylus kan bevestigd worden in een houder aan de binnenkant."

So it is a CR 2032, which as stated is a very common Lithium battery. The light assembly would have been bigger if they had used a AAA battery.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #169
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony T1
Last Forever

The combination of a small LED light plus Lithium battery will last a long time. That is why the world is switching to LED lights and Lithium battery.

The battery CR2032 is rated at 225 mAh (minimum required as per the specification). A white low energy LED can use as little as 0.02 mA. Doing the math that gives you >10,000 hours or 470 days! I do not know how many LEDs are in the Gecko nor exactly the draw of those LEDs, but you get the point - it will last a long time.
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #170
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
The combination of a small LED light plus Lithium battery will last a long time. That is why the world is switching to LED lights and Lithium battery.

The battery CR2032 is rated at 225 mAh (minimum required as per the specification). A white low energy LED can use as little as 0.02 mA. Doing the math that gives you >10,000 hours or 470 days! I do not know how many LEDs are in the Gecko nor exactly the draw of those LEDs, but you get the point - it will last a long time.
I will look forward to seeing a review by someone who receives one. It would be nice to hear/see how well the 2 leds on this light cover the screen as compared to the three on the Sony cover. From the looks of it, the Sony light is more adjustable.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #171
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Yes, I too am looking forward to some feedback on the lighted gecko case. As far as I can tell, for lighted cases, there is really only this and the Sony case.

I have not been able to find many reviews of the sony case, but its quality looks a little suspect. Though not sure about the way the light folds over onto the the back of the case on the gecko cover.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am sure how the light goes back in the side of the cover. It does it very nicely and it leaves no bumps on the outside of the cover. Also, a AAA battery is a lot easier to find when you are away from home.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #173
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am sure how the light goes back in the side of the cover. It does it very nicely and it leaves no bumps on the outside of the cover. Also, a AAA battery is a lot easier to find when you are away from home.

The light, I agree, is cleaner on the sony. Do you have the case?

I have read about the edges being rough and the overall build/feel of the case being cheap. I have seen neither case in person, but from pictures the gecko case looks to be much better quality. imo. Plus there is the added bonus of it holding the stylus.

When was the last time you tried to find a CR2032 battery? They are quite prevalent and will not be much of an issue finding. If I were that concerned (and I'm not) about a the battery dying while I am 'on the road' and not being able to find a replacement, I would just pack a replacement with me.

Last edited by foghat; 12-13-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I did buy the Sony light case. But as it's for a gift, I have not seen it out of the packaging. I won't until Christmas day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #175
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did buy the Sony light case. But as it's for a gift, I have not seen it out of the packaging. I won't until Christmas day.
Dammit, surreptitiously un-package, examine, take pictures, post pictures, re-package.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #176
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
There are some pretty good pics of the Sony lighted cover in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=lighted+cover

I'm currently using one on my reader. I don't really like it very much. It's okay for reading around the apartment, but I'm not confident that it provides sufficient protection on the go. I'm especially hesitant to toss it into my backpack while traveling. There is no mechanism to keep the cover closed when not in use--no magnets, no leather flap with a snap, nothing. After reading for a while with the front cover bent back, when I close it and set it down, the cover flops open until it gets used to not being bent backwards. The materials feel plasticky and cheap.

I do prefer how the reader snaps into the case instead of using elastic straps like a lot of third-party covers use. The light also seems well done, although I haven't really used it yet. I've seen in another thread where someone reported an issue with the paint flaking off where the arm bends, so that's potentially a problem.

I think my ideal case might be something like the Luxe, but with a light side-mounted inside the case like the official Sony cover does. The Luxe with light as it's currently being offered looks like almost exactly what I want, but the bump on the back really bugs me. The Luxe without light looks pretty good too, except I wish it used internal magnets for keeping it closed, rather than a flap with a snap sticking out of the thing. I'm also keeping an eye on the Tuff-Luv hemp covers that are about to come out. Tuff-Luv also offers a clip-on light, and I might go with that.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #177
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post

I have read about the edges being rough and the overall build/feel of the case being cheap. I have seen neither case in person, but from pictures the gecko case looks to be much better quality. imo. Plus there is the added bonus of it holding the stylus.

When was the last time you tried to find a CR2032 battery? They are quite prevalent and will not be much of an issue finding. If I were that concerned (and I'm not) about a the battery dying while I am 'on the road' and not being able to find a replacement, I would just pack a replacement with me.
I have the Sony case. It is not as elegant as the ones for the x-50 series, though it is lighter weight. It also offers a bit more protections since the corners are housed in a plastic shell. Personally, I have no issue with any sharp edges, and find it rather comfortable to hold. The light works beautifully. My only real complaint is that there is nothing to hold it closed (I gather that the Gecko case does). Ii love the way that the reader fits into the Gecko case with a full leather enclosure, though I too am not wild about the pocket on the back for the light; it looks clunky, and I would be concerned that if the case were dropped that the light would be easily damaged. It would be nice to know how the two compare in terms of weight. I am guessing that the Gecko is a little heavier.

Last edited by Avwriter; 12-13-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #178
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post

I think you made a unit error: a typical low power LED needs between 0.002A and 0.030A (2 to 30mA), and 2mA is for the most efficient ones (red, not white) and they're not very bright. If the CR2032 is ratted 225mAh, the autonomy is in the 4 to 50 hours range (2 LEDs), certainly not 10000 hours !
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #179
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I agree the key unknown in the equation is the quantity and efficiency of the LEDs in use. I think the numbers that you quoted the 2 to 30mA are maximum use, which is what LEDs are usually rated at. Check out Jameco.com site for details. I also believe that the light manufacturers would get the most efficient LEDs (yes they cost 5x the cheap ones), and there are high efficiency white LEDs (Red was the first) on the market, I assume that those would be used.

I am not an expert in this area, but my experience tells me we are in the thousands of hours with this if they made the right choices.
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #180
Sega
Enthusiast
Sega began at the beginning.

I received my T1 today. I've been using it for few hours and loving the stylus note taking feature. I guess Sony cases are definitely not for me.

At first, I was liking the AAA battery idea for Sony light case however, I can live with the button style batteries if I have to. But I can't do a case without stylus pocket now.
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote