Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #271
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Yeah, I guess I'd be interested in hearing how those with 7-10 inch tablets use their GPS? Are you hooking those things up to the dash somehow? I have a hiking GPS that is small and rugged for outdoors use, and then I can use it on the dash too, since it's only 3 and half inches. And then my phone when navigating a strange city. But none of those situations seem ideal for a larger tablet.
My 7 inch Acer A100 works great as a gps. I used to put it on the passenger seat, or in the cup holders (both below windshield level, no problems getting a signal), but I can't do that any longer - damn you bifocals! I've got to put a piece of velcro on the dash and another on my case. Love the larger size.

For hiking and walking, I use my phone (Galaxy Note) with a couple of apps that don't need a data connection.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #272
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Wild. Does it sit on top of your dash, or is it in the dash, like a radio faceplate would be.

ipad on the dash, that's pretty cool. Who knew?
It mounts to the top of the dash and holds the iPad in front of the factory stereo.

http://www.amazon.com/ExoGear-Exomou...Pad+dash+mount

I have seen a couple of custom in dash mounts, and, while very cool, they are a bit much for me.

Also, I have a full size GMC pickup, so the iPad doesn't feel like a 55" LCD TV, like I think it would in, say, one of those new Fiats.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #273
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
In your quaint surfer parlance, "way to be" a shallow hypocrite.
"In your quaint surfer parlance"? Wow. I feel smarter for having read that.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #274
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
so my point remains mostly valid...
It's not valid at all. It's not valid because the iPad mini represents quite a bit of innovation.

It's not valid because all successful companies take successful products and branch them out. Various flavors of the iPod. Various laptop screen sizes, weights, builds. Colors. This is standard behavior and all successful companies follow it.

It's not valid if you actually consider a 7" android tablet counting as "innovation" and the iPad mini as not. Without the iPhone Android phones would be clones of Blackberry. Without the iPad there would be no Android tablets. The reason Android tablets championed the 7" form factor had to do with the inability to match the iPad's price at the large size.

Mind you, I do think there's plenty of innovation with the Android tablets. Just pointing out that if the iPad mini doesn't count as innovative just because 7" Android tablets preceeded it, then there's nothing that could be credited as innovative in the tablet space outside of the original iPad.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #275
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It's not valid at all. It's not valid because the iPad mini represents quite a bit of innovation.

It's not valid because all successful companies take successful products and branch them out. Various flavors of the iPod. Various laptop screen sizes, weights, builds. Colors. This is standard behavior and all successful companies follow it.

It's not valid if you actually consider a 7" android tablet counting as "innovation" and the iPad mini as not. Without the iPhone Android phones would be clones of Blackberry. Without the iPad there would be no Android tablets. The reason Android tablets championed the 7" form factor had to do with the inability to match the iPad's price at the large size.

Mind you, I do think there's plenty of innovation with the Android tablets. Just pointing out that if the iPad mini doesn't count as innovative just because 7" Android tablets preceeded it, then there's nothing that could be credited as innovative in the tablet space outside of the original iPad.
Is the iPad Mini innovative? No, it is a smaller rehash of the iPad 2. The iPad 3 was innovative, offering a very high resolution screen. Are Android 7" tablets innovative? Very few of them. The original Galaxy Tab was. The 10" Asus with keyboard dock was. First 4G tablet was, first LTE capable tablet was. The Galaxy Note 10.1 is innovative (first real multi-tasking on a mobile OS with several open windows, new uses for the pen).

Apple didn't invent the tablet, they invented the tablet with mobile OS. There were Windows tablets going back to 2000 or so.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-27-2012 at 03:38 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #276
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Seriously? Are you for real? It has a 2 generations old CPU, a screen resolution not seen on anything other than children tablets, doesn't have GPS or NFC, and costs twice what it should. Would you be so kind to enlighten us mere mortals on what's so innovative?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #277
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
In what way?

Quote:
Er, there wasn't anything innovative about the original iPad as there were many tablets that preceded it - it was just the first to be marketed well with an already existing ecosystem (iPhone/iPod Touch apps).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #278
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Er, there wasn't anything innovative about the original iPad
You should have led with that and I would have known not to bother.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #279
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Er, there wasn't anything innovative about the original iPad as there were many tablets that preceded it
Sure. Just like there was nothing innovative about the Prius because there were cars before it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #280
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Seriously? Are you for real? It has a 2 generations old CPU, a screen resolution not seen on anything other than children tablets, doesn't have GPS or NFC, and costs twice what it should. Would you be so kind to enlighten us mere mortals on what's so innovative?
Be gentle Captain.

Obviously there is or was a group of people that had not seen a tablet that small. REMEMBER it is 2" smaller than the one before. I mean that is really innovative! In fact it is DIFFERENT! That same group of people only know about 3 or 4 tablets and a few phones. Anything without an "i" at the beginning of the name doesn't exist. This is a select group that only uses an equally select set of products.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #281
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Be gentle Captain.

Obviously there is or was a group of people that had not seen a tablet that small. REMEMBER it is 2" smaller than the one before. I mean that is really innovative! In fact it is DIFFERENT! That same group of people only know about 3 or 4 tablets and a few phones. Anything without an "i" at the beginning of the name doesn't exist. This is a select group that only uses an equally select set of products.
Actually, I never have seen any other brand or model of tablet, not in person.

All of my close friends have iPads. I can't be in crowds, so window shopping in places like Best Buy is out. If it's something that I have to see in person, like this Mini, one of the Apple stores near me is usually empty when they first open, so I can slip in and out without any problems.

It is a choice, this use of i-only things. Some people, in the fervent need to point out what is newer, faster, cheaper, or just not Apple, seem to forget that fact.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #282
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Actually, I never have seen any other brand or model of tablet, not in person.

All of my close friends have iPads. I can't be in crowds, so window shopping in places like Best Buy is out. If it's something that I have to see in person, like this Mini, one of the Apple stores near me is usually empty when they first open, so I can slip in and out without any problems.

It is a choice, this use of i-only things. Some people, in the fervent need to point out what is newer, faster, cheaper, or just not Apple, seem to forget that fact.
I thought we were discussing the iPad Mini, how it measures up to the iPad3 and iPad4 and to the competition? If you are happy with iDevices, that is great. But that doesn't mean that the iPad mini is an innovative new tablet that is way ahead of the competition.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-27-2012 at 03:55 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #283
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:

Ok, back for the third time and I will speak in caps to emphasize (not scream): no it is not innovative in that it DOES NOT EVEN MATCH COMPETING TABLETS' FEATURES that were there before and it DOES NOT EVEN MATCH APPLE'S OWN STANDARD (Retina), and that for a device category that has previously, by Apple and followers (in answer to patent claims, "big ipod argument" etc) been labeled as being "ONLY SCREEN"... so yes, I think this is not innovative, heck it's not even a very good product, it falls below 100$ cheaper competition... There is NO WAY TO JUSTIFY ITS PREMIUM PRICE!

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-27-2012 at 05:10 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #284
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I love Apple products-- I have an Ipod Touch, Iphone 4s, Apple TV and a Macbook Air. But I'm passing on this Ipad Mini, the resolution and hardware are not competitive. This is what happens when a company has a monopoly-- they don't feel the pressure to innovative and everyone loses. Since Apple knows that they can outsell all sub-10 inch tablets however they designed it, they decided on the minimum effort. The Ipad Mini should be called the Ipad Minimal. We were at least owed a retina display for that price point, and really we should have awesome cpu, ram and gps included at that price point.

Most apple products charge a premium price, but use premium hardware. The Ipad Mini bucks the trend.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #285
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
It's not valid because the iPad mini represents quite a bit of innovation.

And some thought Samsung was over the top in its commercial tweaking Apple fans? It's thinking like this that completely validates that commercial.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote