Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
ionontelodico
ionontelodico began at the beginning.

Device: RichardBiavaQZ
Question from Italy...is PRS 505 good for newspaper's layout?

Ciao
i'm writing from Italy, and i'm interested about e-book readers devices...
I read about PRS 505 and i wish to buy it... but it's important form me to know if PRS 505 can manage well the pdf format of the newspaper's layout.
Hope someone can answer me (i can send the pdf of the newspaper i'm interesting in, if one PRS's 505 owner want to try....).
Tahnks a lot...
Ciao
P.S.: I also wonder what can do the new Cybook Gen3 with pdf format of the newspaper's layout ... can somebody answer me?

Last edited by ionontelodico; 12-15-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: NOT PSR, BUT PRS...EXCUSE ME....
ionontelodico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well, PDF with a newspaper layout isn't exactly easy with a 6" screen. If those PDF files were designed for this size, they might work OK, although the classic double column layout wouldn't be the best choice in this case.

It might work a bit better on the Cybook with its ability to zoom, but overall, for this type of documents, the iLiad is the best suited device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
ionontelodico

Thanks for the answer...
The newspaper layout i'm asking for is in more than two columns...
I was talking about the possibility of PSR 505 to manage the zoom function in pdf format, so i can read the articles in the columns with a "magnify" function (...having before a general "look" at the entire page...) ...but now i have a doubt... i wish to know if the PSR 505 has the zoom function in pdf format (i guess "no" from you above reply....).
By the way... i'm waiting for an answer about Cybook + newspaper layout (in an italian forum...).... i wish to have the iLiad...but it is too expensive for me...
Thanks a lot & CIAO!!!

Old 12-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionontelodico View Post
Thanks for the answer...
The newspaper layout i'm asking for is in more than two columns...
I was talking about the possibility of PSR 505 to manage the zoom function in pdf format, so i can read the articles in the columns with a "magnify" function (...having before a general "look" at the entire page...) ...but now i have a doubt... i wish to know if the PSR 505 has the zoom function in pdf format (i guess "no" from you above reply....).
By the way... i'm waiting for an answer about Cybook + newspaper layout (in an italian forum...).... i wish to have the iLiad...but it is too expensive for me...
Thanks a lot & CIAO!!!

No zoom/cropping on the 505 so far. Might change when Adobe update the Sony PRS-505 to support Digital Editions, but this is pure speculation for the moment...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Karimone
Karimone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Ciao, ho acquistato il Sony su ebay e ne sono soddisfatto, come tecnologia è bellissima, ma i pdf li gestisce veramente male, per farli andare bene sul lettore bisogna convertirli e sto ancora cercando una soluzione adatta. Penso che per il tuo caso il miglior lettore sia l'iliad.

Hi, I bought the sony on ebay and I'm satisfacted, the technology is wonderful, but the pdf format is handled not so good. Maybe in your case the best solution is the iliad device.
Karimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
ionontelodico

Ciao Karimone...
purtroppo capisco che la gestione del layout di stampa di un giornale (nel mio caso il pdf di stampa del Corriere della Sera) non è ancora ben "implementata" in questi e-book reader.
Mi ero pure interessato al Cybook, ma anche questo non riesce a gestire bene lo zoom dei pdf...
So bene che l'iLiad farebbe al mio caso, ma putroppo è fuori dalla mia portata...
Piuttosto mi chiedevo se un aggiornamento del firmware del PRS potrebbe risolvere il problema....
Comunque, ti ringrazio per la risposta e ti auguro buone feste
------------------
Happy holidays to everybody!!!!
------------------