Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
More passwords to change.

I agree with DiapDealer, and it's the very reason why over the last few years I've started taking my digital life offline. And sadly, my Flickr account is going to be closed tonight. This is the second time in the last two years that Yahoo hasn't been doing me any good.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
all your passwords are belong to me
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
all your passwords are belong to me
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can someone add a "1" to the end of my Netflix password for me?
Thanks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can someone add a "1" to the end of my Netflix password for me?
Thanks.
That doesn't seem very secure to me. How 'bout if we do "123" instead?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'll never be able to remember that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll never be able to remember that.
not sure how to beat that!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #23
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But then it just repeats .....
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
But then it just repeats .....
You must be looking at the wrong DiapDealer.

Hint: the current password is "password".

You should've been clued in by the statement that 123 makes it too complicated.

password1 is easier than passsword123

but 1231 is actually harder than 123123

Old 04-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #25
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
This from CNET this morning where they are checking top 100 web sites & will keep the list updated. http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/which-si...eartbleed-bug/
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #26
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
XKCD explains how the Heartbleed Bug works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heartbleed_explanation.png
Views:	265
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	121545  
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I use LastPass and have been changing passwords as advised (sometimes you have to wait for sites to update their certificates).
Points to LastPass! I use Dashlane and all they have done is sent me a generic email that I should change passwords on "critical" accounts. I'm frustrated that they weren't more specific.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
'zactly.

Everybody's gotta do what helps them sleep better at night. I get that. But here's the three scenarios I currently see regarding Heartbleed:
  1. They already got my personal info and I'm already screwed--even if I change my password now.
  2. I changed my password in time, but the site hasn't been patched against Heartbleed and my personal info is still vulnerable.
  3. The site has already closed the Heartbleed hole, and I'm changing my password because it's just good practice.

Other than making sure my passwords aren't silly-simple, I've come to the realization that I really don't have a single bit of control over my own online "security."

Even if I had absolutely no online accounts, the companies, and financial institutions I did business with would still store my personal info in hackable databases. *shrug*
Yep, not a question of if your online business will be vulnerable, it is a question of when. Sloppy commerce websites seem to be more prevalent than well secure ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Mashable has a chart that's a little easier to read.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heart...ites-affected/

I use LastPass and have been changing passwords as advised (sometimes you have to wait for sites to update their certificates).
The banks seem to be very secure. The commerce sites need to hire the same security firms that the banks use!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The banks seem to be very secure. The commerce sites need to hire the same security firms that the banks use!
Just because they are not running the vulnerable versions of openssl or openssl at all does not make them secure, much less very secure. They just are not vulnerable to this particular threat.

Banks are notorious for requiring "insecurity questions" that allow crackers pretending to be a customer that has forgotten the account password to get in by knowing or guessing answers to the "insecurity questions".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Banks are notorious for requiring "insecurity questions" that allow crackers pretending to be a customer that has forgotten the account password to get in by knowing or guessing answers to the "insecurity questions".
I use gibberish for answers to my security questions. Example: Q = What town were you born in? A = @8ndhr38& (not my real answer ). I do store the answers in LastPass and the answers to the same questions on other sites is different gibberish.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote