Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Well that is the difference between you and me - I unfortunately hit the first issue in particular on pretty much every epub I edit. And after the first few crashes the novelty wears off somewhat. After several hundred as I have had now you start trying to find ways of avoiding Sigil.
OR go back to version 0.4.2. !

That is very stable & probably has all the features you actually "need". I still use it - daily - with Windows 7 - & it never crashes, no matter what I try to do.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@cybmole - unfortunately 0.4.2 has its own share of issues & quirks inherited from earlier versions (though I completely agree that crashing was not one of them, and find/replace was definitely more reliable too). In particular its seemingly random intermittent tendency to lose content when merging files was the biggest and most dangerous bug that had me throwing things at the walls at times. This problem does appear to be fixed in 0.5.3, so along with other usability improvements meme was kind enough to make for me I don't want to give up the kool-aid and go backwards again.

Unfortunately it is my basic "done it thousands of times this way" epub editing technique which is causing me to hit that same Sigil bug in particular over and over again. Open the ePub. Open the stylesheet (since thats usually what I want to change). Double-click an html file (to either find the style name to change or a cruft file to remove). Right-click in the book browser to remove a cruft html file, and *boom* - Sigil crashes. Every. Frigging. Time.

You would think I could be trained out of it. And I have tried, honest. I've tried to remember to save first. I've tried to remember to remove files before doing anything else. But sooner or later I forget and of course it is always after the most extensive of unsaved changes that have to be endlessly repeated all over again.

I remember reading in a fiction book recently a mini-story about an experiment to do with frequency of dropping food down a tube to pigeons in response to them pecking a button. Some were being given food at regular intervals (e.g. every second press) and one was configured for a completely random number of presses. They then turned off the food tubes completely to see how long it would take the pigeons to learn that nothing more was coming. The pigeons that were getting food at regular press intervals gave up after a fairly small number of fruitless presses. However the pigeon that was getting food dispatched after a random number of presses pecked itself to death. I feel like that pigeon in my lack of ability to train myself around this bug.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I'd be interested if anyone else can trigger the bug (bugs) Kiwidude mentioned - in 0.5.3 and also the 0.5.902 beta. Although it might have something to do with the code ' if (user == "kiwidude")... '
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@meme - yeah it could be that line of code that does it .

I get the same crash on my work machine which is XP btw, so it isn't isolated just to my home 64-bit Win7 machine.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'd be interested if anyone else can trigger the bug (bugs) Kiwidude mentioned - in 0.5.3 and also the 0.5.902 beta. Although it might have something to do with the code ' if (user == "kiwidude")... '
I can definitely reproduce the last issue he mentioned in his next-to-last post with 0.5.3 on Vista 32-bit:
Open epub ... open stylesheet ... double-click html file in book browser (opens in split view) ... right-click that html file in book browser ... select 'Remove'... click 'OK' ... see Sigil crash. Easily repeatable.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub 3