Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #46
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT

I only jump started the process. Many folk on this thread have offered advice about how to streamline it.

To answer some of your questions . . .

1. The Link2SD program should only copy the files to your second partition, which is located in the data/sdext2 folder. You shouldn't see a duplicate copy on /sdcard.

2. I'm not sure about the intsdcard directory. I don't have anything like that in /extsdcard. That sounds a little weird . . . you said the internal storage files are there?

Anyway, glad to hear it's working!
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #47
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
I have a quick question. Is this procedure suppose to work even if you have move the library to the sdcard ? Has anyone tried?
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #48
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

The cool thing is that you don't even need to worry about moving your library to the sdcard. Your eDGe does that automatically because it stores them in the /sdcard directory.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #49
immjg
immjg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
I have a quick question. Is this procedure suppose to work even if you have move the library to the sdcard ? Has anyone tried?
Didn't work for me. Can't seem to get it to mount both partitions. Get message that card is blank and it wants to re-format.
immjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #50
kennyminot
Groupie

That sucks. From hearing about other people's experiences, you seem to need some patience to get it to work. Make sure you read through the entire thread. Also, if you haven't done this already . . . after you've swapped the two fstab files with the ones I uploaded, try dropping the install-recovery.sh into the /etc directory. Then, reboot and make sure the eDGe correctly recognizes your partitions before you jump into the Link2SD program.

Is Link2SD even recognizing your partition, out of curiosity?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #51
ghentj
ghentj began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I was getting that same error.
As long as you're sure you partitioned the card right (fat32 as first and ext3 as second) , fat32 is primary/active, try creating the /data/sdext2 (it did not exist on my unit, and if it doesn't on yours, that might be a good sign), and copy all 3 files that kennyminot posted. You might want also want to recheck the permissions for the files are:

User RWX
Group R-X
Other ---
for install-recovery.sh

RW-R--R--
for the external/internal modified vold files

then reboot.

I used the MiniTool Partition Wizard to partition my card.
ghentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #52
Madmax78
Madmax78 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Moving Apps to SD card

Never Mind..... I did not create my EXT3 partition as PRIMARY. It will not work if the Partition is LOGICAL!!!

I'm running into a mount script error when I select my EXT3 partition on the Link2SD Set up. The error reads:

do_mount: do_mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 type ext3 flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 s ext3 rwflag 0x8000 mount: Invalid argument

Is this part of the permissions issue someone else had mentioned?

Max

Last edited by Madmax78; 08-11-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem- operator headspace.....
Madmax78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #53
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

I'm running out of space on my PE. I can't even install apps on my PE.

So I downloaded the minitool and partitioned my 32 G card 50% fat32 and 50% ext3. Do I make both primary? I only made the FAT32 primary and when I put the microSD card in, it doesn't recognize it. I try to format it but it fails to do that.

I'll try both as primary and see what happens. If anyone can guess what I'm doing wrong, please let me know!

And should I give preference to the fat32 or ext3 partition in terms of allocation (should I allocate more for ext3)?

Also, are you guys changing the setting for "Data Storage device"? If you change it to SD, you can never go back. I don't really have a grasp of what it really does.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #54
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post

I only jump started the process. Many folk on this thread have offered advice about how to streamline it.
That's why I thanked everyone!

Clarifying my storage question. In root of Root Explorer (Astro or ES Explorer) there are three folders pertaining to 'card': extsdcard, intsdcard and sdcard.

The first two contain exactly the same data and when there is a addition or deletion in either it immediately changes the other so they are still identical. It is no big deal because everything is working beautifully...I was just curious since I'd not seen it mentioned anywhere.

The two tabs in Library Storage are still reversed, i.e., internal storage is the sdcard and the sdcard tab opens internal storage. Is there any way to correct that? I guess there's no way to remove the Newspapers/Magazines icons in My Library? Obviously, also no big deals.

Apologize for taking so long to post but having regular satellite connection problems. Also been actually a book or two!
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #55
ghentj

I had the same problem with it not detecting the card. if it did detect it, it would just say that it was blank and wanted to format it, or there was some problem with it.

I partitioned my card as fat32 first and primary/active, and second as ext3.

I made the fat32 partition larger (think most are doing the 5gb/2.5 gb for an 8 gb card). it turns out that 2.5 gb is a lot for apps and that will leave room for file storage.

check if you have a directory name /data/sdext2 off of the root. If not, try creating it - I think the directory creation was what was causing my issue. be sure to copy over kennyminot's 3 files as well and set the permissions

the 2 vold files to:
RW-R--R--

the install-recovery.sh file to
RWXR-X---

Hope that helps.
the post that helped me was here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-li...roid-21-eclair (look for post by emmerick about 2/3 the way down)
"- Using Root Explorer or another root file manager create folder /data/sdext2 (required only the first time you installed link2sd) - OBS: Probably the folder data already existed, simply create a folder inside sdext2"
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #56
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghentj View Post
I had the same problem with it not detecting the card. if it did detect it, it would just say that it was blank and wanted to format it, or there was some problem with it.

I partitioned my card as fat32 first and primary/active, and second as ext3.

I made the fat32 partition larger (think most are doing the 5gb/2.5 gb for an 8 gb card). it turns out that 2.5 gb is a lot for apps and that will leave room for file storage.

check if you have a directory name /data/sdext2 off of the root. If not, try creating it - I think the directory creation was what was causing my issue. be sure to copy over kennyminot's 3 files as well and set the permissions

the 2 vold files to:
RW-R--R--

the install-recovery.sh file to
RWXR-X---

Hope that helps.
the post that helped me was here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-li...roid-21-eclair (look for post by emmerick about 2/3 the way down)
"- Using Root Explorer or another root file manager create folder /data/sdext2 (required only the first time you installed link2sd) - OBS: Probably the folder data already existed, simply create a folder inside sdext2"
Thanks. I'm trying to create the sdext2 dir in the data dir but my terminal emulator does not allow me to type in numbers!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #57
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Does this look right?

Ok, I can't get my PE to recognize the FAT32 or the ext3 partition.

Does this look right?

I'm going to verify I have the latest link2sd.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minitoolPE.png
Views:	519
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	75261  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #58
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by attemptress View Post
Yay! I finally got it to work!

Thanks, kennyminot for figuring out the method, and for responding to my questions. I suggest some slight changes to the overall method that might make future attempts easier.

Steps 1 and 2 work fine.

Here's where I suggest changing things slightly.

Step 2.1 Make a copy of the files you are planning to change. Put them on a usb drive, or your computer. Stick a .txt at the end, so you don't confuse your devices. This'll make it easier to change things back if the process goes "pear-shaped."

Step 3: Map your sdcard onto the /sdcard directory.dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /block/mmcblk0. . .

Download the 3 files kennyminot was kind enough to post. Replace the existing /system/etc files AND add the install-recovery.sh file (remove the .txt from the files).

Step 3.1: Make sure your partitiioned card is in the slot, and reboot.

Step 4: Setup Link2SD. Click on the program. It should automatically detect your second partition. . .

No changes needed---after reboot . . .

Step 5: Modify the Link2SD script to manually mount your sdcard's first partition. . .

. . .again. Link2SD messes with the install-recovery.sh file when it runs the setup (or, at least it did when I tried it), all you need to do is replace it again with the file kennyminot provided.

5.1 Reboot your eDGe (last time). Your system should now have mapped the first partition of your sdcard to the /sdcard directory.

6. Sort out where all your files went. Your Edge may not be able to find some of your application saved files and likely your library files. You'll need to move them over to the right folder in the sd card. If you're not sure where the Edge THINKS the files are, try saving a new one in whatever app is the problem, then find the old files (now on /extsd) and put them in the new folder. I found when using RootExplorer, that if I tried to replace the sd card library file with the folder that actually contained my library files, it made a sub-folder instead, so you may need to "multi-select," select all the files, copy and paste.

Hopefully, this'll save someone else some frustration.
What do you mean by this:

Step 3: Map your sdcard onto the /sdcard directory.dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /block/mmcblk0. . .

Please clarify. My PE just does not recoginize my microsd card. I think I have everything right, but obviously something is wrong.

I'm tempted to reformat it with sdformatter, but I don't think that's my issue.
It's as if my sd card does not exist.

Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #59
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Got it working!!!

Ok guys, I got it working! After covering so many possible issues, including checking on the version of link2sd (which I have 1.7.0), what did it for me is this:

1. reformat the 32G micro sd card with sdformatter
2. use minitool to create the two partitions.

I did create the sdext2 directory in the data dir but that did not resolve my issue, but reformatting it with sdformatter made it work. Creating that directory could have helped, but Kenny did not have to do it so I'm not sure if it's needed although it may.

I was just sure minitool worked since I tried it about 4-5x. But additional step of using sdformatter before minitool was the key to my issues and I only did a quick format which took a few seconds.

Thanks all for your help esp Kenny and ghentj.

I was starting to think that going with a 32G microsd card was my failing, but it wasn't. I now have fat 32 set to 20G and the rest (about 10G) goes to ext3.

Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #60
ghentj

Good to hear you got it working! It makes a big difference when you no longer care how many apps you have installed because you have so much room now!

I'm not sure why it seems everyone has to try different things to get it working (I'd be curious to know how many were able to just follow the steps straight up and make this work). Seems like you just have to spend time with it to get it going, but I'm glad I stuck with it as well. What's interesting is that I didn't even use sdformatter, but tried other countless ways to do it (including booting puppy Linux to use Linux tools to partition/format the card). My final step happened to be just creating that directory.