Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
What to read after Sherlock Holmes?

I just finished reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (which I got from MR, thanks MR library!) I am in the mood for another mystery but I am kind of picky. I don't want to read anything with sex scenes, violence, or gore. Someone I know recommended the Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton. Any other suggestions?
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Asimov's classic "Lucky Starr" series is basically Sherlock Holmes + Science Fiction, if you're into that sort of thing (right down to Holmes and Watson expy characters!). I'm very fond of the series, but you can't get it in eBook form, such a pity.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Asimov's classic "Lucky Starr" series is basically Sherlock Holmes + Science Fiction, if you're into that sort of thing (right down to Holmes and Watson expy characters!). I'm very fond of the series, but you can't get it in eBook form, such a pity.
(If you can't get it in ebook, does it exist?)

Okay, what you need is....Judge Dee!

Quote:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Free e-book!
The Chinese Maze Murders: A Judge Dee Mystery
Robert van Gulik

E-book Free! See below (about e-books)

Poisoned plums, a cryptic scroll picture, passionate love letters, and a hidden murderer with a penchant for torturing and killing women lead Judge Dee to the heart of the Governor’s garden maze and the answers to three interwoven mysteries. The Chinese Maze Murders was the first of van Gulik’s Judge Dee mystery novels.
(Despite the description, this book, written in the 1950s, should not contain any descriptions that will bother the OP. Or me. I get bothered easily...)

Quote:
"Judge Dee belongs in that select group of fictional detectives headed by the renowned Sherlock Holmes. I assure you it is a compliment not given frivolously." - Robert Kirsch, Los Angeles Times"
This ebook, from this source, will be for the Sony EBRs. I suspect it will work on Nook, too. It's also available for Kindle on Amazon.

Last edited by Harmon; 07-06-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
What about Agatha Christie?

Always a great read... I like both the main series, but the Miss Marple stories over Poirot.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/51138-hercule-poirot
http://www.goodreads.com/series/51798-miss-marple
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
you mean the famous genre "cozy mistery"? Agatha Christie for sure, most direct descendant from Conan-Doyle.

Have you read all the other Sherlock Holmes books? Yes, they are all in the public domain. You may find free copies everywhere, except on Amazon where they usually charge 2 dollars for any ebook, even public domain classics...

BTW, after I read on Holmes first book, A study in Scarlet -- where Watson mentions past works in the detective genre, most notably Poe's Auguste Dupin -- I immediately went on to check out those. So I read the first one -- The murders in the Rue Morgue -- but while interesting as a precursor, turned out too bizarre and inaccurate for current tastes. I heard The Purloined Letter is arguably the best out of the 3 Dupin stories and am looking forward for that...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
you mean the famous genre "cozy mistery"? Agatha Christie for sure, most direct descendant from Conan-Doyle.

Have you read all the other Sherlock Holmes books? Yes, they are all in the public domain. You may find free copies everywhere, except on Amazon where they usually charge 2 dollars for any ebook, even public domain classics...

BTW, after I read on Holmes first book, A study in Scarlet -- where Watson mentions past works in the detective genre, most notably Poe's Auguste Dupin -- I immediately went on to check out those. So I read the first one -- The murders in the Rue Morgue -- but while interesting as a precursor, turned out too bizarre and inaccurate for current tastes. I heard The Purloined Letter is arguably the best out of the 3 Dupin stories and am looking forward for that...
I have read bits of the other books but I tend to try not to fly through a series so that U can make it last linger, if that makes sense. (Probably doesn't to anyone but me lol.)
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
How about more Sherlock Holmes? There's more available here on MR, including a complete Holmes book.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
I have read bits of the other books but I tend to try not to fly through a series so that U can make it last linger, if that makes sense. (Probably doesn't to anyone but me lol.)
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I understand this. I held back a Margaret Atwood book for two years because I didn't want to read it and have nothing left of hers to look forward to. Fortunately, she's still publishing at the moment.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
How about more Sherlock Holmes? There's more available here on MR, including a complete Holmes book.
Actually, one could spend a lifetime reading nothing but Sherlockian mysteries, taking into account all the pastiches out there. But when you run out of the real thing, look for more under the signature of Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
purple_fishy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Actually, one could spend a lifetime reading nothing but Sherlockian mysteries, taking into account all the pastiches out there. But when you run out of the real thing, look for more under the signature of Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr.
Thanks for the two suggestions. Are they Sherlock Holmes "spinoffs" or continuations? I know there is a huge movement of Austen spinoffs and sequels, I figure there might be some for Sherlock Holmes as well. Though they never really measure up to the golden standard, at least none of the Austen continuations do...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
purple_fishy
Zealot

Quote:
(If you can't get it in ebook, does it exist?)

Okay, what you need is....Judge Dee!

(Despite the description, this book, written in the 1950s, should not contain any descriptions that will bother the OP. Or me. I get bothered easily...)

This ebook, from this source, will be for the Sony EBRs. I suspect it will work on Nook, too. It's also available for Kindle on Amazon.
Thanks! I just ordered the free copy, will be excited to read it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
How about The "Raffles" stories by E.W.Hornung, since you have just read the Sherlock Holmes ones?

"One of the things that Raffles has in common with Holmes is a mastery of disguise"
"As Holmes has Dr. Watson to chronicle his adventures, Raffles has Harry "Bunny" Manders"
Quote:
A bit of background to the series, courtesy of Wikipedia [Warning: if you're not familiar with the stories, there are some minor "spoilers" here!]

Spoiler:
A.J. Raffles is a character created in the 1890s by E. W. Hornung, a brother-in-law to Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes. Raffles is, in many ways, a deliberate inversion of Holmes — he is a "gentleman thief," living in "The Albany", a very upscale address in London, playing cricket for the "Gentlemen of England" and supporting himself by carrying out ingenious burglaries. He is called the "Amateur Cracksman," and often, at first, differentiates between himself and the "professors" — professional criminals from the lower classes.
All of the above are parts from the upload page by HarryT here on MobileRead.
epub | Mobi/prc
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I was just about to suggest John Dickson Carr. And if you like the sheer puzzle aspect of the books, Ellery Queen is enjoyable. And of course, Dorothy Sayers' books about Lord Peter Wimsey.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
Are they Sherlock Holmes "spinoffs" or continuations? I know there is a huge movement of Austen spinoffs and sequels, I figure there might be some for Sherlock Holmes as well. Though they never really measure up to the golden standard, at least none of the Austen continuations do...
My favorite continuation of Sherlock Holmes is the series by Laurie R. King. It starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. It envisions Holmes as a bored retiree who sets off on new adventures with a brilliant, teenaged American who moves to England after losing both parents. There is some violence, so I wouldn't characterize it as a cozy.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
purple_fishy
Zealot

Whoa, there are so many awesome books suggested here! I love this forum. I already uploaded the ones available here on MR, I will be hitting up my local used bookstores for the ones not available as ebooks. Thanks guys!