Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #46
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The only pbooks I love are the high quality ones with embossed leather covers and heavy slick paper with gold edges. Some of my needlecraft and sewing books are better in paper form.

Heck, I read a lot more now with an electronic reader than I ever read before. If I'm standing in line at the bank or post office I can whip it out and read a bit while waiting. Same with kids' activities, frequently I have to wait while they're finishing a dance lesson or basketball practice and I can read a little. Even on hold on the phone can present an opportunity to read.

I *like* carrying around a library that weighs less than most single books. I *like* being able to add content easily and quickly just by using Whispernet. I *like* not having ink smudged fingers and aching hands from holding pbooks.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #47
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
No... Blockbuster will eventually disappear from the streets, to be replaced by online DVD buying services, and other non-specialty stores that will display specially-packaged DVD sets, to entice buying for the packaging.

The likely future of books is to become primarily bought and sold as e-books, with a smaller proportion being produced as high-quality hardbacks for gifters and aficionados. B&N and Borders' physical stores will probably be in the business of displaying and selling the pretty hardbacks, plus operating as a go-between to allow you to find and buy e-books.
Steve...dude...that was my point. BB essentially went tits up a few years ago. There are stores here and there and even those burning kiosks in grocery stores now. BB did not even attempt to add streaming or online DVD rental until it was already a forgone conclusions they were done for. One of the biggest nails in the BB coffin was Netflix. I still use Netflix, especially since they now offer unlimited viewing of their, admittedly limited, online content. But we have fun with some older shows, a few newer ones and some really good BBC or other TV content. I dumped cable (well satellite) about 4yrs ago and have never looked back.

But, yeah, my exact implied point is BB is done as maybe will happen to bookstores which do not aggressively adopt digital & portable media that is device agnostic. I see a 'book store' as being more of a gathering place, a reading & research room. Maybe even a nice place to study, ready or just enjoy some quiet for a change. They will of course merchandise everything under the sun. Basically I see it as the natural evolution of the library/coffee house/internet cafe/book & music store...throw in a bunch of nibbles and you have nice new business model taken to the extreme. Sit, have lunch and browse through their catalog wirelessly or even read sample chapters over coffee, or as others might prefer in the store's "throne room"...

But people like to be around other people sometimes. Doing everything online by yourself does not a healthy mind make. I often I think people like to shop for the social aspect more than the endorphin release they get signing that payment slip. To me, the company who capitalizes on that sort of thing will be the one to survive the coming changes.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Steve...dude...that was my point...
Yeah, I do basically agree with your sentiment (I think I read your original post from the right, instead of the left, and got a bit confused there).

When I try to picture bookstores in the future, I see small boutiques of luxury items, something like the stores that carry pens, briefcases, desk ornaments, etc, that you can have monogrammed for gifts. They could even evolve into companies that will allow you to order a custom cover for pre-printed pages, said book to be assembled and shipped to your doorstep. Imagine a bookshelf of your favorite books, all hardbound bound in matching versions of your favorite powder-blue synthetic hide, and with your initials monogrammed on the inside front cover. What a great showpiece.

Of course, your real library is in the PDA in your pocket... those are just the books you show off to guests...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #49
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
Hi all... But related to this thread, I got a little bit worry about how to save my ebooks for a long time, I mean the pbooks are easier to find because they're big (and heavy of course, plus bookworms problems). But somehow I think they have they own plus factor.. Yet, I still prefer ebooks because they're cheaper..
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassle View Post
Hi all... But related to this thread, I got a little bit worry about how to save my ebooks for a long time, I mean the pbooks are easier to find because they're big (and heavy of course, plus bookworms problems). But somehow I think they have they own plus factor.. Yet, I still prefer ebooks because they're cheaper..
Well they are on your computer. Is this the only thing on your computer that is valuable? You might want to get a backup program.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
publisher