Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
gribbs, sorry to hear about your reader, ouch! I just got mine today and I'm loving it so far. Reading your post makes me glad I shelled out the $24.99 for Accidental Damage Protection through overstock.com...hopefully that will cover something like this (though they have a little clause that says it doesn't cover computer screens or something like that, so it may end up a fight down the road as well)

Twinsz, where on earth did you find a refurb for $104 last month, I would have killed to get that price! I paid $145 for a refurb on overstock. + the 2 year ADP and minus a $5 coupon I had, brought my shipped total to around $169, or the current MSRP. I thought I did pretty well until you mentioned $104 refurbed! I searched ebay, froogle, amazon warehouse deals, etc, looking for the best price! I feel better having got the two year protection plan, even though I normally feel like those are a ripoff. I can see mine getting a lot of usage, so the chances of something bad happening are higher, I think. Two years should be plenty of time, considering how fast the technology is evolving. I'd like to see a pearl screen with capacitive touch in the Sony lineup, I'd dump this like yesterday's garbage and hop onto the new one tomorrow if they came out with one.

Last edited by matt314159; 07-28-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typos
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
There is a new Kindle K3 around the corner for 139$ with Wi-Fi, so forget Sony as I will.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
^looking at the specs, I think you're right. I just processed the return shipping labels @ overstock.com for my PRS-600. I'll use my 300 in the meantime till the k3 ships.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
anxi44
anxi44 began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbs View Post
How did you get them to accept it was a warranty repair?
I told them that there had been no damage: It had not fall, nothing had fallen on it, it had always been in its case,...
I told them it was imposible that it had been injured. They looked at it, and decided that I was right

I had to wait a lot, because the screen had to came form the UK, and there was that ugly ash cloud all over Europe,... but now it's repaired, and it works!
anxi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
You never sat on it, or dropped it, or placed a book on top of it, or put it in a backpack, or such...even when drunk? No one else ever touched it? You're sure? You don't have a roommate who may have dropped something on it? It may have been damaged in transit before you got it, and only been weakened, but then broke in normal use after being so weakened. Proving that would be difficult.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #21
luluching
luluching began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
help

Help! I also experience the same problem. I had my reader for about 2 months and I always handle it with care. Never drop it, but suddenly as I open my reader there is a vertical line appear. I had reset it and the line doesn't disappear.

I was so devastated. I live in here in Philippines and I need to ship it back to US for repair.

Just want to know how long is the repair for this? Can anyone help me where do I email and contact the sony support?
luluching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
gribbs
gribbs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxi44 View Post
I told them that there had been no damage: It had not fall, nothing had fallen on it, it had always been in its case,...
I told them it was imposible that it had been injured. They looked at it, and decided that I was right

I had to wait a lot, because the screen had to came form the UK, and there was that ugly ash cloud all over Europe,... but now it's repaired, and it works!
You were lucky. I'm in the UK and there was no way that the Sony repair centre (which is only about 20 miles from my house) was going to accept that there hadn't been any physical damage. From the few posts on here from others who have experienced the problem I would say that this looks like a manufacturing problem. I think I need to open this up to other forums to try and find out the extent of the problem. Maybe if I get enough evidence Sony take ownership and sort it out!
gribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
gribbs

Smile

I had to smile when I read your post rblover, I am a 48 year old woman and it has been a while since I went backpacking, although I will admit to be being drunk once in a while. My roommate (my husband) definitely didn't drop anything on it.

It could have been damaged in transit but the box and packaging wasn't damaged at all. I believe that this is a problem that Sony are aware of and hopefully I can get some proof of the extent of the problem and take this to Sony. Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
gribbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by luluching View Post
Help! I also experience the same problem. I had my reader for about 2 months and I always handle it with care. Never drop it, but suddenly as I open my reader there is a vertical line appear. I had reset it and the line doesn't disappear.

I was so devastated. I live in here in Philippines and I need to ship it back to US for repair.

Just want to know how long is the repair for this? Can anyone help me where do I email and contact the sony support?
I looked on the Sony website to find out how to return the eReader. They sent me written confirmation that they had received it and then the bill for the repair came through in about 2 weeks. I had to contact them to confirm whether I wanted them to continue with the repair.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
gribbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar5 View Post
Hey dude, you are not alone!
Same shi(f)t happened to me.
And I am sure there was NO physical damage to my reader neither.
I was using it for a couple of weeks, and then just left it beside my bed.
After a week of idling (right, a week, because it was Soccer World Cup and I didn't have neither time nor wish to read) I opened it and found same lines covering a half of the screen. This is WEIRD!
I am pretty sure it's a manufacturer's problem. But how to prove it to them, I have no idea.
I am sending my device to them today.
Will see what they would say.
I look forward to hearing what Sony's response is.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #26
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Well; another reason to skip Sony, then. Their quality has been slipping the last few years. There were quite a few problems with the disc drives, clocks, etc, in the Playstation 3 units my friends bought. I considered a Sony 900, for awhile, but have re-thought that. I've pretty much dedcided on a Kindle 3. I like the free 3G, and the ability to buy/download even while abroad-in Japan, Australia, etc.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #27
luluching
luluching began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600

Hi I will be sending back the reader to B&H eventhough it will cost me.
luluching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
anxi44
anxi44 began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbs View Post
I look forward to hearing what Sony's response is.
Maybe this will help you to convince them that you didn't damage your unit:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...rue&mdl=PRS600

As you can read in their own page, they admit that there can be "Black lines or bands across the screen".

Good luck
anxi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxi44 View Post
Maybe this will help you to convince them that you didn't damage your unit:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...rue&mdl=PRS600

As you can read in their own page, they admit that there can be "Black lines or bands across the screen".

Good luck
Yes, but that's very different from a fractured screen substrate, which can only be caused by physical trauma.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #30
solar5
solar5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
You are right guys, I think Sony is aware of the problem.
They RETURNED me my money IN FULL.
Good luck with your gadgets!
solar5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distorted screen, horizontal lines, prs 600