Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Grey Gradient Screen freeze up

So your Cool-er froze on the grey gradient screen that you normally see when you turn it on?

Yeah it happens, and is a known issue. If you have the orignal firmware that Cool-er was released (pre v1.12.6) with this is a common problem. Good news? They seem to have managed to fix it in later versions of Cool-er firmware.

If you have tried powercycling and resetting it using the little reset button the back it might be time to go for the firmware update.

See:
http://www.coolreaders.com/fw.asp

For the latest firmware. You will need a SD card in order to do the firmware flash, apparently you can't do it through the USB cable at this time.

If your Cool-er still does not boot up properly at this time you may need to contact Interead about the problem.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Wow.... Major turn off, if I need to work my hands around with the external buttons and the recessed RESET button, or need another person to help me press a button then what is the point of updating the firmware if you need two people, or a hand ache afterward?

Even more demanding then the PS3 firmware updates...
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah

That and you have to have a SD card. I am not sure what their designers were thinking when they made it.

Amy
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Just wanted to say that I achieved this all lone! That's right! Only me!

But then again, I DO have big hands!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
I have small hands, but have had to reflash so many times that I can do it on my own too.

My method:
Hold a pen/stylus in all four fingers of your right hand, the pen nib facing upwards - towards your thumb.
Use the thumb on your right hand to hold the center button
Use a finger on your left hand to press the enter button.
Press the pen into the reset button.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I think using the sd card for firmware updates is great - the firmware is bundled onto a data store far away from anything else...

and one of the reasons I didn't consider the smaller new sony is because it didn't have an sd port.

but the procedure is pretty convoluted - I always have to recruite a helper to update mine...
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
There's a reset to factory setting wich can fix some issues without having to re install a firmware. You have to press the menu button (left side, 4th button) and hold until the led blink, press and hold + until the led blink, and then -

Also if the firmware update doesn't seems to work try another SD card before cursing support sorry won't do that again
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labzuk View Post
There's a reset to factory setting wich can fix some issues without having to re install a firmware. You have to press the menu button (left side, 4th button) and hold until the led blink, press and hold + until the led blink, and then -

Also if the firmware update doesn't seems to work try another SD card before cursing support sorry won't do that again
I'd not heard that before - where did you find that out?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
From support, tested it and it works. As far as i can tell it doesn't wipe the book content.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
codeMonkey
Zealot

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
Cath
Enthusiast
Cath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014
Hmm... any way to get out of the frozen screen without updating the firmware? I don't have a SD card handy at the moment, and would like to carry on reading until I can do the firmware update.

Symptoms: frozen on 8-shades-of-grey screen; power light is a steady green; power button has no effect; reset button resets but then gets stuck at same screen again.
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
codeMonkey
Zealot

Aside from trying to reset-to-default-factory-settings that labzuk listed above I can't think of any other way.

With all of my fiddling around with the reader I've just taken to storing all of my books etc on an SD card, so if I break it I still have everything, and if it gets into a state where it can't read / open a book I can remove the SD card, reboot and it'll go back to the menu.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
sassanik
Guru

yeah

Yeah firmware update is the only other way that I know of, other than the reset as listed above.

Amy