Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
San Francisco Public Library now has ADOBE EPUB!!

Thanks to Dordale, I just found out that SFPL now offers Adobe EPUB ebooks. I will be taking a road trip this week to get myself a library card. I browsed through a chunk of their romance ebooks and was thrilled to find several NEWER releases, in addition to many others that I would read, thus making this trip worth my time. ALSO, to make this trip worth it I plan to get a Contra Costa County library card---their ebook collection is rather small, but even then I did find a few books I would read. This would ALSO enable me to connect to the Northern California Digital Library. I will then go to the Alameda County Library and get a card there, which will give me access to Netlibrary. Luckily, I managed to find the Contra Costa County library has a branch in El Cerrito, and Alameda County library has a branch in Albany. So, driving-wise I will be passing by these two places in my trip to SF! Now all I need is to find a library card with access to the Overdrive library, if there is even such a thing. Anyone know?

I have the Overdrive media console through the Sacramento County library system, but that is only for audiobooks and music. Or maybe I can already access this since the Sacramento County library system is listed on their website. I'm still researching this one.

Thanks
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Wow, I'm jealous of all your road trips! We only have one library system in our state, and I'm already hooked in. I haven't decided yet that I need to send money into another library system to get a card, but I might get there someday.

Enjoy your expansion into new worlds!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Kelly--

The ePub, Mobi and PDF books offered by most (if not all) public libraries are part of the "Overdrive" system. So you already have access to the ones the libraries yo belong to offer. They don't have a separate "Overdrive" program for their e-books, they just use Mobipocket reader and Adobe Digital Editions.

You can check out what libraries offer Overdrive books (either audio or e-books) from their search engine at "search.overdrive.com".

Since I now belong to quite a few libraries, I use their search engine quite a bit to look for books/authors I'm interested in. If you type the title of the book or the author in, it'll come up with a list of libraries that have the book/author you're looking for (if any).

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Thanks everyone!!!

The great thing about this is all these libraries are FREE as long as I'm a California resident.

And I found out more about Overdrive once I posted my thread. So for now, I'm interested in NetLibrary, the SFPL Epub collection, and the Northern California Digital Library.

This roadtrip will probably happen on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'd do it tomorrow but I have to wait for my stepdad's new car to be delivered. The joys of being unemployed..I get to take care of all these types of things!! (At least they gave me a window of when they'd be here). But hey, while I'm waiting I'll sit by the window and curl up with my 505!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Feklhr
Feklhr began at the beginning.

Device: none
CCCL

I work for Contra Costa County Library, and can tell you that we have just improved our digital services. During the Reading Festival we even had the Mobile Digital Library at a couple of events. Use the little icon on the library's home page (ccclib.org) as the URL for the digital area is too long.

It sounds like you are coming down 80 on your way to SF for your library roadtrip. Check out the brand new Hercules Library just off the freeway (http://ccclib.org/locations/hercules.html). The design of the building is awesome and the collection and equipment is state of the art.
Feklhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Thanks!! Yes I'll be coming down 80. I was trying to pick locations right off 80 so I wouldn't have to go too far out of my way. I'll check out the Hercules branch.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was wondering if you knew how you check-out epub pooks from SF's system. If so, can you describe the process?

Once you apply for a library card can you check out books online or do you have to physically show up at the library and download the book at a kiosk? I'm still new at this and I apologize if this is a silly question.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Merlock--You do have to make one trip in to the library to pick up your card. Once you have a card, you can do everything online as far as checking out e-books. You'll need special software--there are links for it at the library's download site. For e-Pub and PDF books, you need "Adobe Digital Editions", for mobi-pocket you need the Mobipocket reader software and for their audio books, you need the Overdrive software.

You just add the books to your online "book bag" or whatever they call it, then choose check out. After that, you'll have to enter your library card number and then your pin number. Then there will be a link for you to download the book to your computer.

Hope this helps--post back if you have any problems. Once you get everything set up and registered the process is very easy.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!

First off....NOT a silly question!! You do have to show up there to get the library card, etc. but once you have the library card, you can go to their website and download the ebooks right to your reader!! It's very simple.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
@kelly, thanks for a great tip! So many more choices to be found in VA. than I realized! Yay.
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much for the information. It sounds to be very easy and I can't wait to try it. I didn't know I could have so many books available at the tip of my finger. I'll go pickup a library card this weekend.

I haven't applied for a library card in a long time and you mentioned a pin number Dordale. Do I need to provide a pin when I apply for the card or do I do that when I sign up for an account to check out ebooks?

Last edited by MerLock; 05-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Merlock - Do you currently have an ebook device or are you reading on your computer?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
MerLock
Evangelist

Hi grooks - Mainly on my computer but thinking of getting a 505 very soon. I went over and looked over the San Francisco main library's website and glanced over the questions section. I didn't find anything mentioned about the process of checking-in the books. Does it automatically get checked-in once the due date has passed or does it need to be done manually on the software?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Yes once the due date has passed, it automatically checks in the books.

And to answer your question about the PIN number, you set that up when you get your library card.

Happy reading! And I'm looking forward to hearing that you have your 505 in hand.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
You can check-in pdf/epub ebooks manually if you finish reading early and wish to return them early. There is an option in Adobe Digital Editions to 'Return Borrowed Book'. This is helpful as most libraries only get a few copies of each title and when all ebooks are checked-out, others have to wait for those titles to be returned. Try looking at a Stephanie Meyer book to see if there is a waiting list. Some popular books may have a 2 week waiting list.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote