Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post

Currently in my library on Amazon's site I can opt to download to a Kindle or to my computer. I don't know if all download options would go away if I had no Kindle registered. Maybe Lilly could tell us. If I planned to strip the DRM and hold on to the files, I would probably make sure I had them all backed up before, just to be sure.
Sorry can't; Amazon already assigned a Kindle2 to mine account since I bought it yesterday. When I deregistered my Kindle1 this morning, I still had the option to send books to my computer or Lilly's Kindle2! So I did not lose any buying priviledges but I don't know if it's because I have a Kindle2 on my account.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So you're going to be without your kindle for 3 weeks? that sucks, but you got to do what you got to do
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I wouldn't sell our Kindle until we had the II in hand and decided we liked it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
bjkwright
bjkwright began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
People outside the US can use the Kindle and download the books to their computer. However, they have to have a credit card with a US address and the Kindle will only ship to a US address. If someone lives in another country, but has someone here in the US (such as military people) they can use the Kindle.

Barbara
bjkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, if you really want to help someone out, help out a really nice lady (my wife) own a BeBook by using the email address when you purchase a BeBook to get a discount and help her get one.
Funny! VEEEeeery funny! Tell you what, I'll buy one from you if you buy one from me.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Funny! VEEEeeery funny! Tell you what, I'll buy one from you if you buy one from me.

Derek
The idea is to get a free BeBook and not have to pay for it. If you give me the money to pay for one, I'll more then happily buy one from you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I wouldn't sell our Kindle until we had the II in hand and decided we liked it
I could not justify $359 when I just bought Kindle1 at the begining of November 2008. Plus I know I will love it. No hardship for me being without it for 3 weeks, I still have my PRS-505 and I love it! The best part is, Amazon did not take away my buying privileges from their e-book store. I thought they would, so I bought books to last a month before I deregistered the kindle1, but I still have the buy it button and when I go to Manage My account, I have the option to send it to my computer!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I could not justify $359 when I just bought Kindle1 at the begining of November 2008. Plus I know I will love it. No hardship for me being without it for 3 weeks, I still have my PRS-505 and I love it! The best part is, Amazon did not take away my buying privileges from their e-book store. I thought they would, so I bought books to last a month before I deregistered the kindle1, but I still have the buy it button and when I go to Manage My account, I have the option to send it to my computer!
If they all ready registered one to you, then they must have your in stock. That's good news that you will get it very soon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #24
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
They consider one "registered" to you as soon as you purchase, even when they are out of stock, I believe. Last year, I placed my order on 12/31/2007, when they were out of stock. It didn't arrive till 2/1 but they allowed me to start purchasing books considerably before that. I just left them there (didn't try to download) but I wanted them ready to download the minute I unpacked it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
They consider one "registered" to you as soon as you purchase, even when they are out of stock, I believe. Last year, I placed my order on 12/31/2007, when they were out of stock. It didn't arrive till 2/1 but they allowed me to start purchasing books considerably before that. I just left them there (didn't try to download) but I wanted them ready to download the minute I unpacked it!
AH. didn't know that. Perhaps they assign serial numbers without needing to have the units.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #26
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I think I'm gonna keep my kindle 1 as a backup. I don't EVER want to be kindleless
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #27
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
While I love my PRS-505, and don't have the usual "gadget lust" for the new Kindle, reading threads like this isn't helping!
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you sell your Kindle and no longer have a Kindle, what happens to all the eBooks you've previously purchased?
They stay in your My Media account on the Amazon site. All you do when you sell a Kindle is you deauthorize that device from the account. All the media is still there waiting until you authorize a new device to access it.

For people who purchase a device, they authorize it the second you pay for it, and you can start purchasing books right away. They load the books on before you even get it out of the box.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
While I love my PRS-505, and don't have the usual "gadget lust" for the new Kindle, reading threads like this isn't helping!
I didn't either -- untill the day it came out. Something about the new details I hadn't known -- made me order it. But you'll find posts from me last Friday saying "no how, no way!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
They stay in your My Media account on the Amazon site. All you do when you sell a Kindle is you deauthorize that device from the account. All the media is still there waiting until you authorize a new device to access it.

For people who purchase a device, they authorize it the second you pay for it, and you can start purchasing books right away. They load the books on before you even get it out of the box.
Really? I did have to turn on the switch and wait a few minutes for them to download. The books weren't actually on the device while it was in the box. But perhaps they were for you!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #30
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
That's exactly what I've been doing. I bought a ton of books from Amazon last night before I deregistered my Kindle. I then deDRM them and loaded them to my Sony. So now I can patiently wait for mine Kindle; like I said before, I was too cheap to pay for shipping!
Is there a way to do a reverse of this? Can I get non Amazon DRM'd content on a Kindle?

Matt
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote