Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #31
connie2000
Connoisseur
connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire HD 6", PW2, sony 950, Fire Phone, kindle fire HDX 9, Huawei Mate
Fire Phone is selling for $199 again on Amazon.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #32
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Amazon is discounting Amazon Prime memberships this Saturday, 2015/1/24 only, in honor of their winning two awards at the 72nd Golden Globes. Prime will be $72 instead of $99 that day. Looks like it's only for new members, sadly, but if you've been thinking about getting a sub, this is a good time since it's $27 off. The signup link isn't showing info on the deal yet, so don't try to buy it ahead of Saturday!

Additionally you can watch all ten episodes of their award-winning show Transparent on Saturday even without an Amazon Prime membership.

Quote:
Amazon today announced that in celebration of two recent Golden Globe wins, it will make all ten episodes of Amazon Original Series Transparent available for free for everyone this Saturday. Transparent, which is typically available exclusively to Amazon Prime members, recently took home the Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy Series, while its star, Jeffrey Tambor, earned the coveted award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy Series. Anyone can watch Transparent at no cost on Saturday using the Amazon Instant Video app for TVs, connected devices and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/Transparent. Also on Saturday and in celebration of the 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards, Amazon Prime will be available for just $72—a more than 25 percent savings. New members can sign up for this limited-time Prime offer at Amazon.com/TransparentPrime.

Last edited by Manabi; 01-22-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Typos
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #33
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google's free album this week is Mötley Crüe - The Greatest Hits.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #34
Manabi
Wizard

Since many here may be using Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, or Telcel America (all run by Tracfone), I figure this is a good place to post this. Tracfone has settled with the FTC over their throttling and/or cutting off unlimited data plans. Tracfone advertised the plans as unlimited, but then actually throttled or cut off customers who hit 2.5GB in a month. Even when they did start notifying customers, they hid the info in hard to find places, effectively still not notifying them.

Quote:
"In fact, until at least September 2013, TracFone did not state in most of its advertising or terms and conditions that it would suspend or throttle its customers’ mobile data service if they used more than a fixed amount of mobile data in a thirty-day service period. In September 2013, TracFone began to include this information for all of its 'unlimited' offerings, but often has tucked it away in small print that is not proximate to its claims of 'unlimited' mobile data service."
The FTC was unamused. And so today Tracfone has agreed to settle with the FTC, admitting no wrongdoing (of course ), but is paying out $40 million to settle the investigation. Here's part of the FTC's announcement:

Quote:
"Beginning today, consumers who had a Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, or Telcel America unlimited plan before January 2015 can visit http://ftc.gov/prepaidphones to file a claim for a refund," the commission said. "Refunds will be paid to consumers whose data service was slowed or cut off. Consumers who had an unlimited plan but are unsure if their data service was slowed or cut off should still file a claim to find out if they are eligible for a refund."
So if you used an unlimited plan before this month under any of those brands, you might want to file a claim to see if you're due any money.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #35
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
This is for NEW SCRIBD subscribers only:

3 free month trial (the usual is one month):

https://www.scribd.com/promo/ScribdLovesHarlequin

The promo code to enter is scribdlovesharlequin
I'm bumping this up because someone requested the details--This worked on or around the 29th of Jan--I have no idea when it expires, but hopefully is still good -- For new members only!
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #36
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: -- Home is where the RV stops (Texas ~6 months/year)
Device: Kindle Fire HDX, Fire HD, Paperwhite,Android & Windpws phones
B&N no longer supports digital mag subscriptions

Just found out that Nook no longer supports Nook for PC for magazine subscriptions. I found out when I tried to get my March Analog copy. Got my Feb Asimov's fine on Jan 1, but changed sometime during this month. Since can't get PC mag downloads from Amazon, any suggestions? Looks like Kobo has the same restrictions...
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #37
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJohnson View Post
Just found out that Nook no longer supports Nook for PC for magazine subscriptions. I found out when I tried to get my March Analog copy. Got my Feb Asimov's fine on Jan 1, but changed sometime during this month. Since can't get PC mag downloads from Amazon, any suggestions? Looks like Kobo has the same restrictions...
I didn't know Kobo had those restrictions, but I'd seen threads about Nook and their stupid changes. Have you tried Google Play? (I don't even know if they have subscriptions, but it's the only epub I can think of).
Old 01-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #38
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Books from Google are easy, but can't seem to find a way to do magazines....
Old 01-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #39
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Books from Google are easy, but can't seem to find a way to do magazines....
Magazines are in Google Play Newstand. It used to be called something else, but that's the current name.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #40
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The Greasemonkey script for Firefox still works -- I just tested it -- but only for the most recent issues, since B&N no longer allows you to scroll through back issues.

Also, if you have an Android device with the Nook app it's very easy to copy the files off to a PC. My own choice is to navigate to to the file and use Dropbox, but a wired connection to a PC works fine, too.

Unless someone has more experience with Google Play Newstand for magazines, I'd avoid them like the plague. I recently bought issues of Ellery Queen's and Alfred Hitchcock's mystery magazines, and they appeared to be crippled so they can only be read with Google's App (which I don't like) or online but only with the Chrome (or Chromium) browser. I (eventually) found where the files are located, but they appear to be jpegs of the individual pages with cryptic names. I may be able to assemble PDF's of them, eventually. If anyone else has more experience and success with these files, I'd love to hear about it! (NOTE: They're DRM-free, at the publisher's request, so I don't think it would run afoul of any forum rules.)

Last edited by cromag; 01-31-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Apparently I cannot spell DRM in one try.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #41
LJJohnson
Groupie

Actually, I want to avoid B&N for everything now. THey have changed the way they handle DRM, and the new method of removing it (getting info from a named file) doesn't work for me since named file has only error info.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #42
LJJohnson
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Magazines are in Google Play Newstand. It used to be called something else, but that's the current name.
Yes, aware of that. But it doesn't get me to the end result -- DRM free mags on my PC that can be read on any device. I won't allow DRM on any of my devices, including the PC, and would rather do without than allow the DRM propagators to win... I have stopped using/updating a number of programs on the PC over the years when the DRM couldn't be removed in any reasonable way. Talking with money seems to be the only thing that even has a chance of working.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #43
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Yes, aware of that. But it doesn't get me to the end result -- DRM free mags on my PC that can be read on any device. I won't allow DRM on any of my devices, including the PC, and would rather do without than allow the DRM propagators to win... I have stopped using/updating a number of programs on the PC over the years when the DRM couldn't be removed in any reasonable way. Talking with money seems to be the only thing that even has a chance of working.
Have you tried buying those magazines direct from the publisher site? When I was reading short stories/magazines, I used to buy most of them direct...although the Ellery I think I bought in B&N. (I didn't have a subscription either. I just occasionally bought issues.) I know Black Gate used to sell direct and I'm pretty sure they didn't have DRM. I was buying electronic copies by then.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #44
LJJohnson
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Have you tried buying those magazines direct from the publisher site? When I was reading short stories/magazines, I used to buy most of them direct...although the Ellery I think I bought in B&N. (I didn't have a subscription either. I just occasionally bought issues.) I know Black Gate used to sell direct and I'm pretty sure they didn't have DRM. I was buying electronic copies by then.
Should have mentioned -- the only mags I'm currently interested in are Asimov, Analog, and Outdoor Photographer. Both Asimov and Analog redirect to the usual suspects (Amazon, Kobo, etc) and Outdoor Photographer redirects to those plus Zinio.

I've no experience w/Zinio (Windows 8 supported), but if it's anything like the Amazon Windows 8 version it is pretty useless. I still use the pre-version 8 of Amazon kindle on Windows 8.1 machine to get simple files in standard formats. I already get a lot of SFF short stories free (including ones from Rusch each Monday), so I don't lack for reading materials. But I would like some of the stories on those particular mags. If I can't get them that way, I'll have to wait till they show up in anthologies/collections (for SFF), and just sit the OP out. I was a dead-tree subscriber for 8 years, but moving soon to a very small, moving space, and all mags and all but a couple of physical books have to go.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #45
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
This is exactly what I feared would happen and is why I cancelled my Asimov's and Analog subscription from B&N. Am so glad I did that now. Amusingly, while I had gotten all my issues, they for some reason refunded me the last month of the sub, so I ended up getting a couple of issues free.

Quote:
Talking with money seems to be the only thing that even has a chance of working.
I'm not saying to stop doing what you're doing, but my experience has been they just chalk every lost sale up to piracy and never even consider it might be DRM protestors. Even if you tell them you did it over DRM, they just assume you're a pirate and lying. Most companies have a serious blindspot on this issue.
Closed Thread