Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Ethan G
Ethan G began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT
What Kindle do I have? (No, it was free :p)

Hullo, I got a free Kindle with a deal the other day. It has wifi but neither touchscreen nor keyboard. (Bad for hacking, I know, but I could still do a bit with it.) It was sold as "Kindle WiFi", it has just 4 buttons and the navigation square below the screen, the power button is on the bottom edge next to the USB, and the browser can only be accessed from the home menu under "experimental", and even that's not there if you have a collection open. It's fairly pocket-sized, the screen's about 6 inches.
Ethan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Is this it?

tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Ethan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Is this it?

Yep!

Message lengthened because a simple "yes" is not permissible to the forum software.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan G View Post
Yep!

Message lengthened because a simple "yes" is not permissible to the forum software.
It's just called "Kindle" and is a 4th generation model introduced late last year. Here's a link to the product page:
...and welcome to the group

BTW, the minimum post length is 5 characters, including spaces between. The following would work:
  • Yep!!
  • Yep..
  • Yep !
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Ethan G

Thanks, and thanks. I'm asking particularly because I see lists of additional software for the Kindle but some of them are headed "Kindle Touch" or "Kindle 3" or something, so I'm wondering what I can do with it. I assume they're all basically the same inside?

Don't mind me taking a dig at the forum software. Just think, someone went to the trouble of writing a length-checker which excludes the quote, as if long posts necessarily had more content than short ones.
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You model is often referred to as a Kindle 4 or a Kindle NT (non-touch).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Thanks, and thanks. I'm asking particularly because I see lists of additional software for the Kindle but some of them are headed "Kindle Touch" or "Kindle 3" or something, so I'm wondering what I can do with it. I assume they're all basically the same inside?
No, they aren't all the same.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
As Synamon said, all of the Kindle models are entirely different beasts. If you have a Kindle 4, and if you are into modifying your device in some way (jailbreak, additional software etc.), make sure that you only attempt with packages specifically labelled with your particular Kindle version. That's usually something like "Kindle4", "K4", or "K4NT" (stemming from "Kindle 4 non-touch", because the Kindle Touch - actually version 5 - was initially thought to be a variant of version 4) in the developer's corner.

Steer clear of anything that says "K5", "KT", "Kindle Touch", "Kindle 3", "K3", "Kindle 2" etc. here in the forum -- these softwares will normally not work on your device!

If you're shopping at Amazon, that's a completely different thing. If Amazon says something is ok for your device, it usually is (simply because Amazon knows which device(s) you have).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Yep!

It's a K4 and it's a nice tiny reader! I love mine. You can use the Kindle Collection plugin for Calibre with it. I use it to change the margin and font on mine and of course manage your collections through Calibre. It's perfect for those who just read ebooks. Taking notes on it would drive me crazy. It has no audio unlike the other models.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
And it's worth repeating that Amazon simply calls it "Kindle". If you look for which models certain apps work with, your model appears in the list as "Kindle".
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Ethan G

Thanks all. Now to scour the developer's corner for interesting stuff.

... Annoyingly the very first interesting stuff I find reveals at least part of my NT has more in common with the Touch than other peoples' NTs.