Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club December 2011 Vote
The short stories of Saki 7 41.18%
The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark 4 23.53%
The Daughter Of Time by Josephine Tey 5 29.41%
Twenty-Six And One And Other Stories by Maxim Gorky 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #31
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I know we're not starting the discussion yet, but just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the stories so far. I don't know if I'll read more than Beasts and Super-Beasts for the book club read, but the stories are a bit of fun.

My reading is quite often heavy. Nice to have something a little lighter every once in a while.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #32
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I feel the same way.

BTW I found "The Cobweb" to be an interesting piece. But I'll save my thoughts on it and other stories until the discussion.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #33
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I feel the same way.

BTW I found "The Cobweb" to be an interesting piece. But I'll save my thoughts on it and other stories until the discussion.
Just read that one last night. I'll be interested to read what you have to write about it.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I bought "The Complete Short Stories of Saki". It's a little over 400 pages. For now I'm going in order from the beginning, which seem to be all Reginald stories at first.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #35
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I have finished reading all of the stories in the collection Beasts and Super-Beasts as well as specifically seeking out Sredni Vashtar and The Lumber Room based on fantasyfan's original recommendation for Saki's works. I must say that I found the stories quite different from what I was expecting given fantsyfan's biography of Saki and description of his work, and given that I had no previous knowledge of the author. I look forward to reading the comments that come in on this selection.
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #36
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone is interested, here is a short and rather basic general commentary on Saki {including some references for further reading} which nonetheless throws out some interesting {but by no means completely complimentary} ideas about him.

Strangely, Saki was a conservative supporter of the Empire and still deeply critical of the Edwardian society it produced which he contemptuously portrayed with a veiled but malicious innuendo. I've also become aware of a streak of cruelty in his writing--but perhaps it's better to save that until the discussion.

http://kirjasto.sci.fi/saki.htm

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-15-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I finished Beasts and Super-Beasts. I'm not sure exactly what to say in the discussion thread.

Thanks fantasyfan for nominating this author. I had never heard of him and although I may not avidly pursue works outside of the core text, I have enjoyed my time with Saki.

Last edited by caleb72; 12-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #38
fantasyfan
Wizard

Just a bit of trivia . . . Today is Saki's birthday.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Happy new year! I'll be posting the discussion thread later today; would anyone like to lead the discussion?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #40
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Daughter of Time is a stand-alone effort. Even though the detective appears in other Tey novels, there's no way this book can be considered to be part of a series.
I had time this month to read the nomination as well as The Daughter of Time. I enjoyed it and will seek out more of the series. It was interesting to compare this book with other historical fiction novels that I have read regarding the Princes in the Tower. I can confirm that one can read this book without detriment if you have not read any of the other Tey novels. One is able to get a good feel for each of the characters that are introduced regardless of knowing their past escapades.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december, literary, literature, voting