Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Penru
Imagineer
Penru began at the beginning.

Device: HTC DROID ERIS
Arrow Accessories

I am thinking about buying an edge pocket, was just wondering what cool accessories I can get for it. can I buy a second battery (can I even change the battery?) what kind of cases are there for them?

also

what are some apps that are considered "MUST HAVE"
Penru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
The batteries in the Pocket Edge are not replacable*, just like in about 99% of the devices nowadays. As for cases, also a bit hard to find. I took mine to about 4 different store and eventually settled on a Targus case ment for a 10" netbook. My newly aquired "Man Purse" (or murse ) is a bit big just for the PE, but holds the charger, cables, my ipod etc. as well.
"Must Have" apps are a personal choice, I find. Mine are:

Note everything - uber note app
Tag ToDo - todo list (with tags! natch)
Thinking Space - mind mapping
Shortyz - crossword puzzles
cool reader - ebooks on the LCD side (for nighttime )
stopwatch - self explanatory
250+ Solitaire collection - also self explanatory
Form Builder - simple database, no encryption but export with CSV.

*my Palm TE2 had a non-replacable battery as well, but when it died I figured out how to crack the case and change the battery. I found a battery the same size and specs in the internet. The TE2 survived the operation and lived another year and a half until it meet an unfortunate end by falling in a toilet.....
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Accessories are a little hard to find but here are some suggestions:

Best Buy sells a couple of cases that fit like a glove but you can't put your charger in with the Pocket Edge.

The Rocket Fish Model: RF-LYCB01

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

Platinum Series - Case for Most 7" Tablet Mobile Phones

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

Body Glove makes a E-Reader Travel Hard Shell Case (1.8 x 6.5 x 9.8 inches)

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Rea.../dp/B003UYU42C

The stylus that comes with the Pocket Edge is pretty good but if you are going to do a lot of writing using the Journal App you might want to consider a Motion Computing LE1600 & LS800 SERIES Digitizer Pen. The LE1600 is a full size pen and the stock stylus just can't comptete with the writing experience of the Motion Computing Pen. A little pricey but, if you are going to take a lot of notes it is definitely worth the price.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...?EdpNo=1433829

Decal Girl has some cool skins for the Pocket Edge. Recommend the matte versions for $5 more because they resist fingerprints pretty well.

http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...ket-eDGe-Skins

My favorite Apps include:

Amazon App Store App

Amazon Kindle App

Nook Android App (Books from Barnes and Noble can be read on e-Ink side)

Maple Paint

DailyStrip Comic Strip Viewer

Andy-86 (TI-86 emulator)

Voice Search by Google

Talk to Me Cloud: Real-time speech to speech translator for Android.

ezPDF Reader

Knuddel's Mini Golf

Pool Rebel Light

Anniversary of the Day

Basketball Shot and Basketball Shot II (Amazon App Store)

Quick System Info Pro (Amazon App Store)

Best Android App Websites With Lots of Free Apps:

*** Be Aware That The Pocket Edge Does Not Have Access To The Android Market ***

http://slideme.org/en

http://www.freewarelovers.com/

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?...ode=2350149011

http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/

As of today the Pocket edge does not support Flash Player but includes a very nice You Tube Viewer. There are also several websites that support Flash Lite which is installed on the Pocket Edge:

Comedy Central
ESPN
Daily Motion
VH1
MTV
CMT
Vimeo
Nickelodeon
MLB (Must manually select 3gp format)
Animal Planet
American Idol
Blip TV

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-07-2011 at 01:46 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I'm hoping my USB barcode reader works with it (when I get it). Having something that small that I can use as a data accumulator would be SWEET!

I'm hopeful because on all PCs it looks like a "human interface device" and emulates a keyboard, and if keyboards work, this should too.

From the posts here and on entourageedge.com, I'm assuming it won't drive a USB arc welder.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'd like to know if your barcode scanner works with PE, Last! I believe using the built-in camera as a barcode scanner does not work. Maybe you have the solution!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Penru
Imagineer
Penru began at the beginning.

Device: HTC DROID ERIS
Any chance of the Pocket Edge fitting into a bible cover/case (http://cgi.ebay.com/Nylon-Camo-Bible...item5199009449) I think if it would work it would be the best case! Has an interior pen pocket (great for a full sized stylus), an outside pocket (great for the charger and/or usb drive), and most importantly using your pocket edge in church (just kidding, But I do have the bible on mine)

If this works can I has some karma, LOL

Last edited by Penru; 05-06-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Penru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Penru, there's a thread about cases on the entourageedege.com forum, and one of the best received suggestions is to use a Bible case! So definitely it can work. Just make sure of the dimensions.

Just checked your link. Looks like a good one! If anything it might be too big. I just measured my PE and got 5.5" x 7" x 1".

Go for the Karma!

Last edited by Filark; 05-06-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
STL Droid
STL Droid began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Just wanted to let everyone know I just received my Penabled Wacom pen from Amazon, see link below. It was 19.99 (US). It works with the eInk side perfectly, is grey and black, better matching my PE and, best of all, fits exactly into the pen slot!

As the regular pens are not being manufactured anymore for Entourage, this is a great "back-up" pen if you are like me and leave everything in the wrong spot.

http://www.amazon.com/Penabled-Table...5056043&sr=8-1
STL Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Sarasuru
Sarasuru began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Has anyone tried hooking up a portable keyboard? I love taking notes but have terrrrible handwriting so typing is the only way to go for me. I'm thinking portable keyboard and stand for optimum coffee shop office.
Sarasuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Yes, I've had great luck with two different USB keyboards: one really old one, huge one and another sleek tiny one.

I can't remember whether people have gotten Bluetooth keyboards to work, but the selection of USB keyboards that work should be extensive. (Note: I'm on an EE, not a PE.)
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I think that bluetooth keyboards didn't work because the eDGe only supports bluetooth headsets(very strange for a device with no phone capability), though I may be wrong. I've seen a lot of keyboards work with the device, I think as long as it supports USB HID(99% of USB keyboards do, if not more) you should be fine. I've got one on order and it should arrive this week, I can't wait!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Keyboards combined with the various positions the edge can take are great. Here are just a few ways I've used mine:

sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Barcode Scanner from Amazon does not work.
Skype doesn't work - bummer.
Pandora works!!!
TuneIn Radio works.
Keyboard like diNovo mini works fine and provides its own Bluetooth.
I found useful to have USB-to-Ethernet adapter (StarTech.com USB2106S) as some places don't have wireless network, but have wired.

Last edited by ptsenter; 06-06-2011 at 03:05 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
My friend who also has a PE found that he needed to install an android app to implement the HID for the bluetooth keyboard. There may be a couple of such apps, but the one I recall him using is described here:
https://market.android.com/details?i...ls.btkbservice
I do not immediately have a download link for this.
Note: it requires a rooted device.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
I have a USB mini keyboard that works fine, far better than typing on screen: Solidtek KB-P3100SU (ASK-3100U) Super Mini Keyboard - USB, 4" x 9"

I have tried several kinds of bluetooth keyboards and none have worked. (And still not with Ermine.) I think this is dependent on Google adding HID support for Bluetooth to Android, or on some third party hacking it for us.
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote