Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
bosie
bosie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
5-way button for page turning

Hi,

I just got my Kindle3, replacing a Sony reader. I downloaded a few sample chapters, converted epub books and loaded them onto the kindle. A few PDFs as well.

I like reading in landscape mode but the navigation (page turning) buttons on the kindle are awkward in landscape mode. The 5-way button is perfectly located for page turning. It just doesn't seem to work on every book. I haven't found any PDFs that support page turning with the 5-way button, the epub books aren't working as well.
The only books that seem to work with the 5-way button are the samples.

How can I make it work? Any tips are appreciated.

best,
bosie
bosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
bosie

actually, I can't even get the samples (that worked before) to turn pages with the 5-way button.
what am i doing wrong now?
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The 4 page turning keys are on the sides of the Kindle 3. The 5 way button only moves the curson.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
bosie

Right. But is there no way to actually make them useful somehow? I don't need annotation...
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosie View Post
actually, I can't even get the samples (that worked before) to turn pages with the 5-way button.
what am i doing wrong now?
normally you can only skip to the next / previous chapter with the 5-way-button (left / right in portrait mode).

just wondering, changing the orientation might also cause left / up button to be switched or at least the right button is showing upward when orientation changes, and the down button becomes right
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I don't recall but this has been discussed before. I'm not sure if anyone in the Developers' subforum has managed a hack of this, possibly using the launchpad hack.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote