Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Device: none
I decided to wait for the next generation Sony ebook reader...

Hello people

Because of the glaring issues I decided to wait till the next sony ebook device.Any guess when will Sony launch the next generation device?

Thanks
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Guess? Perhaps fall of this year....

What are some "glaring issues" you have?
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I am not sure when it will come out but they will probably call it the Sony "Readable" Reader.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My son told me when I was shopping around for a reader and fancied a Sony that if I was to wait for the latest generation, I'd never have a reader at all because there's always something new in the pipeline. I'm glad I took his advice, stopped messing about and went for the PRS-505. Couldn't be happier and none of Sony's later developments makes me regret my decision. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I looked at some of your (the OP) prior post, and see glare is an issue (PRS-600).... the PocketBook 302 will be released in a few weeks. It is touch screen, WIFI...etc. It is my understanding the ones shipping in April or May will have their screen treated with a anti-glare compound that is supposed to help the problem. Perhaps look into this or other non-Sony models... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_302
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
To be honest, if the glare is your only concern with the PRS-600, I'd say that you should go ahead and get it. It's really nowhere near as bad as you may have read. I've seen some reviews that would make you think it's completely unreadable and that's simply not true. I haven't been in a situation yet where I had any problems with readability (granted, I've only had it for a week, but still...). I honestly could not be happier with the PRS-600.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Exactly my thoughts when I got mine a couple of years ago... there were lots of others in the pipeline that had more features or sounded possibly better in other ways but I wanted to read so got my 505. Now most of those "in the pipeline" are still in the pipeline, weren't up to their promises or the companies have disappeared... and I've had two great years of eBook reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
My son told me when I was shopping around for a reader and fancied a Sony that if I was to wait for the latest generation, I'd never have a reader at all because there's always something new in the pipeline. I'm glad I took his advice, stopped messing about and went for the PRS-505. Couldn't be happier and none of Sony's later developments makes me regret my decision. Neil
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I concur as well. I was worried about everything I'd heard about glare and reflection but having had my 900 for a month now I find I rarely even notice. Yes it is there, but at worst it takes a small correction in the angle you're holding to make it go away, I dont even notice now that I do it.

I think also that if this is your first reader you have no prior conceptions to compare unlike people that have gone from say the 505 to the 600 or 900.

If you keep waiting until the next best thing - you'll find yourself with nothing
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I looked at some of your (the OP) prior post, and see glare is an issue (PRS-600).... the PocketBook 302 will be released in a few weeks. It is touch screen, WIFI...etc. It is my understanding the ones shipping in April or May will have their screen treated with a anti-glare compound that is supposed to help the problem. Perhaps look into this or other non-Sony models... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Pocketbook_302
WHAT?!! One with wifi in just a few weeks?! Crap- I just got my PRS300 on the 4th.
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
To be honest, if the glare is your only concern with the PRS-600, I'd say that you should go ahead and get it. It's really nowhere near as bad as you may have read.
Looking at my 505 and 600 I'd say the 505's display looks much crisper, but therefore it is not as fast as the 600 and it also misses some functions which I badly wanted.
Try to get your hands on a display model in a local store so you can make up your mind. If I look at books printed on pure white paper I would say that eInk is not as great as the book. If I look at library paperbacks with yelloish pages, the eInk is just awesome. I think it comes down to your own preferences.

Edit: by the way, anyone knows what improvements a next gen reader from Sony would bring despite some speed increase which would probably be limited by the display anyways? If it would come out this fall, I'm sure I could buy it here at a store (not via Internet) in about 2 years. By then I've probably outgrown my 600 :-)

Last edited by Mike_73; 02-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

given that this generation is less than a year old, i'd say you might have a year or more before the next generation from sony. they don't develop and release a new generation every year, the underlying technology isn't advancing that fast. what will probably prompt a new release is an advancement in the eink screen technology (or some alternative) and there just isn't anything on the immediate horizon in those areas. if you're looking to enjoy reading books on a digital device this year i'd take a look at your currently available options from all manufacturers, and products that were announced for release this year, and go make a purchase. but the 300/600/900 is most likely all sony is going to be offering for the next year or two.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I felt the same way, but the bottom line was that I wanted a reader now. I figure in a few years mine will be obsolete and I'll upgrade. For me it was like saying I wanted a laptop, but decided to wait a few years for a better one. There will always be a better on on the horizon.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Thank you buddies so I think there is no hope on a new sony product

Any alternatives which has a dictionary like prs600?I am not a native speaker and I would like to improve my English reading books and I think a dictionary is a great thing for this

How does the dictionary on prs600 work by the way?

Thanks
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
When you're reading, just double-tap on a word, and the definition will pop up in a box at the bottom of the screen. You can click on the definition to open it up to the full screen (which will show the full dictionary page).
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Double tap a word in the book and dictionary opens at that word... if it's there but it is a pretty reasonable dictionary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
Thank you buddies so I think there is no hope on a new sony product

Any alternatives which has a dictionary like prs600?I am not a native speaker and I would like to improve my English reading books and I think a dictionary is a great thing for this

Thanks
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote