Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Camping, Wilderness Survival and First Aid

Anyone have any recommendations for books about going camping, wilderness survival and dealing with emergencies while not near civilization? It would be great if they have an ebook version.

I know it's kind of ironic to be asking for ebooks on this. I have limited space right now.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
How about the U.S. Army Survival Manual -- FM 21-76

Edit: Should have look a bit more local. Available here on MobileRead:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139852

Last edited by jgaiser; 02-21-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added additional URL
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.

In fact, it's probably not exactly what you are looking for. But it is very funny.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. I've got the Pocket First Aide and CPR on my iPhone, which gives some basic what to do's in first aid situations. There are a number of first aid articles in backpacker magazine (backpacker.com). You can always download and put them in a book.

Backpacker magazine's Trailside First Aid by Molly Absolon sounds like part of what you are looking for. It's available at amazon for the kindle. Hiking Survivial Guide by Conrad Blake is another that might suit you.

It might help to know if you have a specific need in mind. For example, what you need to know for hiking the AT is rather different that what you need to know for hiking in the Amazon, which is different than what you need to know for hiking in Alaska. Many hiking first aid kits include a first aid guide.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I Just nominated Beyond the Horizon by Colin Angus for the March book club. This is an amazing account of Angus becoming the first to circumnavigate the globe entirely on human power. It has every kind of adventure you can imagine. His book Amazon Extreme is also amazing.

Another that I absolutely loved is called Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure by James West Davidson.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Boy Scout Handbook. The Kindle versions all seem to be of the 1911 edition.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
The SAS Survival Handbook by John "Lofty" Wiseman is hands down the best wilderness survival book that I've ever read. I've had several copies over the years, and it's worth every penny.
Wilderness survival has been a hobby of mine for years, and I've read more survival manuals than I can count. The SAS handbook is just stellar, and if I had to pick just one, that'd be it.

Plus it comes in ebook format. I haven't been able to justify buying this in ebook yet though. I still have three paper copies of various editions.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...iving-anywhere

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-23-2014 at 04:18 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. I've got the Pocket First Aide and CPR on my iPhone, which gives some basic what to do's in first aid situations. There are a number of first aid articles in backpacker magazine (backpacker.com). You can always download and put them in a book.

Backpacker magazine's Trailside First Aid by Molly Absolon sounds like part of what you are looking for. It's available at amazon for the kindle. Hiking Survivial Guide by Conrad Blake is another that might suit you.

It might help to know if you have a specific need in mind. For example, what you need to know for hiking the AT is rather different that what you need to know for hiking in the Amazon, which is different than what you need to know for hiking in Alaska. Many hiking first aid kits include a first aid guide.
Good point, I'm learning already. Let's start out with recommendations for the continental US.

I'm looking for things at a fairly general level, I'll pick more specific information once I've got a better idea. Some things I thought of are:

First aid books that include things like bracing and splinting for long enough to get to a hospital and how to treat various types of animal attacks.
Books on what is edible, poisonous or itchy.
How to treat water so it's drinkable.
Advice on low-impact camping.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's probably a couple of different books.

The first leave no trace hiking book that I read, way back when, was Colin Fletcher's classic "The Complete Walker". I think it's up to version IV now. There is no ebook version, but it is the original backpacker's guide and has been called the Backpacker's Bible. I don't think that I would take _all_ of his advice (the original version was written back in the 70's), but there is a lot of good stuff and it's a really good read.

The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis is probably the most inclusive book for what you are looking for. It has advice on No Trace hiking, first aid, and general backcountry skills (identify trees, light first aid). It's available in ebook format as well as paper.

The big thing to keep in mind with these books is to pick and choose what works for you.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
First aid: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138157
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote