Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
cmolinap
Enthusiast
cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch/Mini
PC Windows 8.1 not reconizing KTouch

Hi,

Kobo Touch N905C, Firmware 3.1.0.
PC desktop Windows 8.1 Pro+WMC

Problem: None known until after Windows Updates 8.1
KT acknowledges that is connected to the PC, but the PC is not recognizing the KT.
Has anyone had or has the same problem? Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
cmolinap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
cmolinap
Enthusiast
cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Hi,

Problem solved: downgrade to 3.0.1 firmware. Everything is working fine. The problem is: firmware 3.1.0 with Windows 8.1

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I just spent some time downloading an evaluation version of Windows 8.1, installing it under VMWare and then attaching a Kobo using F/W 3.1.1 to it. ZERO issues.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
cmolinap
Enthusiast

Thanks PeterT for your comment.

I'm downloading FW3.1.1 to unzip/installing/testing.

Standby.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
cmolinap
Enthusiast

Nope. The same problem. Reinstalling FW3.0.1

Uhmmm...maybe some of this week Windows 8.1 updates is the culprit.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
OK here with a Glo firmware 3.1.1 and windows 8.1.
Connects both with windows explorer and Calibre.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmolinap View Post

Realize that 3.1.x IS NOT an OFFICIAL release for the Touch, so that could also be part of the issue.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmolinap View Post

I doubt that Windows is the culprit, cf. this and that.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
ilanarama
ilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
I am having a similar problem. I updated my Kobo Touch to 3.0.1 via the wireless sync, and now when I connect via USB to my laptop (which is old and still running XP) it detects the computer, but the computer does not detect the Touch.

I have verified it's not the computer by trying it with my husband's laptop (windows 7) - same issue. And my computer is fine with other USB devices.

What can I do to fix this? I basically use my Kobo strictly for sideloaded books (usually via direct drag and drop to the folder) so I am dead in the water right now. I'm eyeing the factory reset but I'd rather not lose everything unless it really will fix the problem (although everything exists on my laptop so it's not a huge deal).

Is it possible to roll back the update without a USB connect?

Last edited by ilanarama; 12-16-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clarify OS
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You've tried different computers (which is a good 1st step), but have you tried a different USB cable? A cable that's gone bad could give you funky results like that.

I doubt there is going to be any way to do a rollback without a USB connection (I'm guessing any other connection methods are going to require changing config file etc, which is going to require a connection first).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
ilanarama
ilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of lightilanarama is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
I only have one cable that fits the Kobo, and I'm suspicious of it failing right after the update. It appears to work for charging, and the Kobo itself shows the 'Computer Detected' message, so I'm dubious - but I agree, it's probably the next step. I guess I'll try to buy another cable.

BTW I also emailed Kobo and they gave me the also dubious suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the Kobo Desktop App (which I never use), but I did as they suggested and unsurprisingly there was no effect. I have not yet had a response to my reply to this, though.
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, touch, windows