Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
adding paragraphs marks in search/replace

Often in converting a book from a pdf file into an epub, there are many instances of having two paragraphs run together. It's very disturbing to me when there are two paragraphs, one ending with a quote and the other beginning with a quote, that have been run together so that there is a " " or "" within a single paragraph.

Usually I edit these out using MS Word or EditPro, but occasionally I forget and end up with a largely completed epub with the offenders still present. I've tried to use search/replace with some sort of paragraph marker in the replace box but have been unable to find the proper expression. I have been simply finding in the epub a location where there is an invisible paragraph mark, copy that small section, and then substitute " where appropriate. This is a pretty cumbersome procedure and I wonder if anyone knows how to add a paragraph symbol in the replace box.

Last edited by bobcdy; 06-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Often in converting a book from a pdf file into an epub, there are many instances of having two paragraphs run together. It's very disturbing to me when there are two paragraphs, one ending with a quote and the other beginning with a quote, that have been run together so that there is a " " or "" within a single paragraph.

Usually I edit these out using MS Word or EditPro, but occasionally I forget and end up with a largely completed epub with the offenders still present. I've tried to use search/replace with some sort of paragraph marker in the replace box but have been unable to find the proper expression. I have been simply finding in the epub a location where there is an invisible paragraph mark, copy that small section, and then substitute " where appropriate. This is a pretty cumbersome procedure and I wonder if anyone knows how to add a paragraph symbol in the replace box.
Are you trying to only work in Bookview?
What does that look like in Codeview?
are the " straight or Curly?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think you can use a regular expression for that. It is even easier if you have curly quotes.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are straight quotes, in code view, but when I try to do a search/replace I've tried:

search
" "
replace
"\r\n"

and it replaces IN THE TEXT:
"\r\n"

It does not produce a new paragraph.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
They are straight quotes, in code view, but when I try to do a search/replace I've tried:

search
" "
replace
"\r\n"

and it replaces IN THE TEXT:
"\r\n"

It does not produce a new paragraph.
I only have been able to make new Para in Code view.
I replace with the </p> <p class...
Tidy will make it look good
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
bobcdy
Fanatic

theducks

Thanks. Great - That works fine! I don't know why I didn't think of that.