Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
What a stressfull day

I was sitting here browsing this forum, when I heard some awful squeaks from outside... I didn't take much notice at first, because my parrots always makes a lot of noise... But, then this noise struck me as a panic noise...

When I investigated, I found Ben (Great Dane) with a Rainbow Lorikeet in his mouth, Missy (mutt) dancing excitedly around him...

Ben weighs the same as me, and I could not get him to let go... Every time he did, he grabbed the bird again straight away... The battle was to get Ben inside at a time he had let the bird go... I eventually got him inside and crated him, but it was hard work... Called in sick because of a sore back, and ended up being sore all over...

After I took Ben to his crate, little Missy brought in the bird, but dropped it as soon as I told her to (Good girl!). Then Missy went to her crate, and I went to tend to the bird...

The poor thing didn't look good at all. I picked him up, and he immediately latched unto my thumb.. Ok... obviously, he was not dead... but I was sure he would die within the next hour or so... if not from injuries, then from shock. I made him comfortable in a cardboard box with some towels, and waited for him to die... I thought it was better for him to die being comfortable in a box, than having the vet stick a needle in him...

The bird went quiet, and I left him like that for about an hour... Then I checked to make sure he was dead, and he flew out of the box... I couldn't believe it! I toweled him and put him back, set up a cage for him, and transferred him... Now 6 hours after the incident, he's still alive, and I made some sugar water with melted peanut butter and fed him with a spoon, and he ate!

This bird could be a youngster of about 8-10 weeks or a tame bird someone had let go... I'll soon find out... If he's tame, I'll have to keep him, but if he's just young I'll make sure he's OK, before returning him to his habitat in my back yard...

We have a lot of flooding here at the moment, and obviously the bird got covered in the water and therefore couldn't fly, making it easy for the dogs to get to him...

I was not very pleased with Ben, in fact... I threatened to trade him in for a poodle! But, that was before I found out the bird was not injured by Ben...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh my gosh!!!! I have animals and end up with some of the most bizarre things going on that rearrange my life! so wonderful that this worked out well for you! I've saved many mammals, but just have no knowledge with birds. kudos and karma!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, kindlekitten... It's not over, yet... But if the bird survives the night, I'll be very optimistic...

Birds are very delicate creatures, and many die from shock after being attacked... Maybe this one was a cat in his previous life...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
when my kids were little they used to being me injured birds all the time. I actually ended up buying a bird cage because of it. I never knew what to do beyond quiet, warmth, imobilizing obvious problems, water and food. occasionally I gave honey, never thought about peanut butter

I've buried a lot of birds
Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Last fall, my cat came home, mewing with his mouth full. I thought he had caught a mouse (good cat!). But when I went to check on him, it was a little Winter Wren. One that had flown out of the nest not too long before, as he still had the remnants of the baby beak (you know, with the yellow border). I thought it was dead, but it was still whole (no puncture marks anywhere). So, I got that box, added a towel and put him in there and put the box in the livingroom (where we have a door so we can keep the cats out). I also expected it to die (I mean, the shock of being caught by a cat!) but when my husband went to see how it looked, it actually flew out of the box. It took some time to catch it (my husband fled... and the bird was about 8cm from head to tail...).

I released it at the end of the day (with the cats locked up inside...), and it flew into the hedge with an angry twitter at me
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I was sitting here browsing this forum, when I heard some awful squeaks from outside... I didn't take much notice at first, because my parrots always makes a lot of noise... But, then this noise struck me as a panic noise...

When I investigated, I found Ben (Great Dane) with a Rainbow Lorikeet in his mouth, Missy (mutt) dancing excitedly around him...

Ben weighs the same as me, and I could not get him to let go... Every time he did, he grabbed the bird again straight away... The battle was to get Ben inside at a time he had let the bird go... I eventually got him inside and crated him, but it was hard work... Called in sick because of a sore back, and ended up being sore all over...

After I took Ben to his crate, little Missy brought in the bird, but dropped it as soon as I told her to (Good girl!). Then Missy went to her crate, and I went to tend to the bird...

The poor thing didn't look good at all. I picked him up, and he immediately latched unto my thumb.. Ok... obviously, he was not dead... but I was sure he would die within the next hour or so... if not from injuries, then from shock. I made him comfortable in a cardboard box with some towels, and waited for him to die... I thought it was better for him to die being comfortable in a box, than having the vet stick a needle in him...

The bird went quiet, and I left him like that for about an hour... Then I checked to make sure he was dead, and he flew out of the box... I couldn't believe it! I toweled him and put him back, set up a cage for him, and transferred him... Now 6 hours after the incident, he's still alive, and I made some sugar water with melted peanut butter and fed him with a spoon, and he ate!

This bird could be a youngster of about 8-10 weeks or a tame bird someone had let go... I'll soon find out... If he's tame, I'll have to keep him, but if he's just young I'll make sure he's OK, before returning him to his habitat in my back yard...

We have a lot of flooding here at the moment, and obviously the bird got covered in the water and therefore couldn't fly, making it easy for the dogs to get to him...

I was not very pleased with Ben, in fact... I threatened to trade him in for a poodle! But, that was before I found out the bird was not injured by Ben...

WHAT A DAY! I thought mine was bad enough, hehehe

My wife though says she'll buy you the POODLE , But only in exchange for BEN, She sends a Big Hug to both Dogs, and we BOTH hope the Bird makes it.

Well Seriously Hope today is a better day, and that you get a restful and peaceful time ..... SOME HOPE .....Take Care,

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
when my kids were little they used to being me injured birds all the time. I actually ended up buying a bird cage because of it. I never knew what to do beyond quiet, warmth, imobilizing obvious problems, water and food. occasionally I gave honey, never thought about peanut butter

I've buried a lot of birds
Yes, it depends a lot of the kind of bird... A Lorikeet eats nectar, so sugar and fruit is pretty obvious... A Crow eats pretty much everything, and an injured crow I would feed fresh meat...

Most parrots eats seeds, so they're pretty easy, unless they're very young - then they need a special diet that can be fed by spoon.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard

Photo of Ben and Missy... Ben is the bigger one...

Old 03-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard

and the Lorikeet a few minutes ago:

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard

... and a few minutes later:

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #11
frank.w
Enthusiast
frank.w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (sans 3G)
Very pretty bird - hope he makes.

Bad dog!

- Frank
frank.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

my gosh what colors!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, the birds my cat comes home with are much more boring of colours!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Very pretty bird I hoep he makes it also. I can sympathize with getting bitten too. They have a lorikeet exhibit at the zoo here. You can buy a thimble full of nectar and feed them during time they will invariably bite you at least once!

Ben looks like a good dog, he probably only wanted to play with it, if he'd wanted to do serious damage or eat it he certainly could have!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Very nice looking bird.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote