Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Make switches available with stock Kindle Case?

Has anyone considered cutting a small window in the back cover of the stock Kindle case in order get easier access to the Power/Radio switches?

Looking at it, I am afraid the elastic band is attached right on or just below where the window needs to be. All I really want is to get access to the Radio switch.

I am thinking about doing it... anybody want to talk me out of it?
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Yeah, I really wanted to. As my first cover would not bend back properly, they sent me another, which works fine.

So, figured I'd try to cut a hole, using the old one as a test. After measuring, realized I'd have to cut off the elastic band, as where it fastened on top would be part of where the opening needed to be. Besides, I never use the elastic.

I cut it off with a razor blade, then used two or three sharp knives to try to cut through the case. Man, that is one tough case! No way I could even get the knife blade through, let alone cut the leather. I then tried an Exacto knife, with no better luck.

Maybe somebody here has leather work experience, and can help us out. Probably some specialized tool is necessary. Otherwise, I might sometime take the extra cover to a shoemaker and see if he can do it. If so, and it works, then will have it done on the 2nd "good" cover.

It would be a huge help. I use a piece of Velcro on the lower right corner to keep it in the case, so it is sort of hard to pull the Kindle loose. And it fits so well, very hard to get my fingers between the device and the cover to control the switches. Amazon, WHAT were you thinking?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert