Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
alpha.s
alpha.s began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Calibre Periodical Categorization

Can someone help me with an issue I'm having with book categorization in Calibre/Kindle Fire HD ?

What Im looking for is a way to categorize a book series (magazine pdfs) as periodical so when I transfer to kindle fire, it shows up in Newsstand tab. After searching, it looks like I need to set CDE Type (501) as 'MAGZ' when converting to mobi. Looking at the code for news, I found this.

Code:
def is_periodical(self): return self.oeb.metadata.publication_type and \ unicode(self.oeb.metadata.publication_type[0]).startswith('periodical:')
so, it looks like I need to set metadata 'publication_type' to 'periodical:something'. the question is how to add this metadata while conversion.

any help is highly appreciated.
alpha.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha.s View Post
Can someone help me with an issue I'm having with book categorization in Calibre/Kindle Fire HD ?

What Im looking for is a way to categorize a book series (magazine pdfs) as periodical so when I transfer to kindle fire, it shows up in Newsstand tab. After searching, it looks like I need to set CDE Type (501) as 'MAGZ' when converting to mobi. Looking at the code for news, I found this.

Code:
def is_periodical(self): return self.oeb.metadata.publication_type and \ unicode(self.oeb.metadata.publication_type[0]).startswith('periodical:')
so, it looks like I need to set metadata 'publication_type' to 'periodical:something'. the question is how to add this metadata while conversion.

any help is highly appreciated.
IIRC Only Amazon can SOURCE periodicals, everything else is a personal document (and will be forced if sent via the cloud)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
alpha.s

thanks for the quick reply, but I am not sending via cloud. I am using sending via usb directly from calibre.
also, I should add that news fetched and sent to device directly from calibre correctly end up as periodical (in the newsstand section) because its CDE Type (501) is set as 'MAGZ'. That can be confirmed by looking at headers using calibre-debug tool.

Last edited by alpha.s; 06-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha.s View Post
thanks for the quick reply, but I am not sending via cloud. I am using sending via usb directly from calibre.
Ah! Someone else that uses periodicals on Kindles will need to step up to the plate.
Books, just Books are on my K4
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Periodicals have other requirements apart from the cdetype, the only way they can be generated in calibre is by using the recipe system.

IIRC there are tools that allow you to change the cdetype in MOBI file headers, look for mobi metadata editor, but doing so may or may not work depending on the Kindle you are using.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
alpha.s

thanks a lot. I will take a look at those tools and will report back.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
alpha.s

I tried mobi2mobi tool to update the headers and happy to report it works!

I updated these tags and the book was correctly put in the newsstand section.
booktype: 259 NEWS_MAGAZINE
CDEContentType(501): MAGZ

thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by alpha.s; 06-30-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
rahulsasi
rahulsasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Post Calibre Newsfeed in Kindle Periodicals folder

I'm using the built-in recipes for newsfeed in Calibre, and sending them to my device via email. I've read a couple of posts and understood that removing the 'PDOC' tag in the default output conversion settings is step 1. Despite that the newsfeed continues to appear in the personal documents folder.

Is there a way to ensure that the newsfeed converts to a 'periodical' before it is sent to the device via email ?
rahulsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Amazon automatically converts all mobi files sent by email into personal documents. You have to use USB if you want them to remain periodicals on the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
paipa
paipa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Is there a way of retroactively turning these personal documents (periodicals I sent to my Paperwhite via e-mail) into proper periodicals so they show up in the correct folder? My library is a bit messy because a bunch of my news magazine issues are outside the folder they belong to, since I wasn't aware e-mailing them was "bad". Simply deleting them is not an option as some of have notes and highlights in them. But it would be nice if they were grouped with the rest. Is it possible or should I just live with it?
paipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No, they are a different file format and there isn't even a way to tell they aren't actual books without human oversight.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
sbergstc
sbergstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I found the Metadata Editor program on the forum when looking to get my books to display correctly in "Books" on my Kindle Fire... Thanks to Gluggy!

My next question is whether there is a way to do this in a batch. I have thousands of books and many of them converted from epub or lit files so I'm guessing many if not most are missing the correct CDETYPE (EBOK). Is this possible with Mobi2Mobi?

And is it possible with the metadata editor (or Mobi2Mobi) to "save" as the original file without getting the "Error renaming temp file..." ? I just want to overwrite the file I opened so I don't have to add the "new" book to my library and then remove the "old" book... Hope I'm making sense... Or maybe I'm missing something

TIA,
Sbergstc

p.s. To KovidGoyal... LOVE LOVE LOVE Calibre. Have used the free desktop for many years, and now the paid "companion" app on tablet & phone. Thanks for a wonderful tool!!!

Last edited by sbergstc; 07-05-2015 at 10:45 AM.
sbergstc is offline   Reply With Quote