Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #76
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Having the PRS505 I find the 3 zoom sizes insufficient in some cases. I'd like the 5 availabale to some of the newer readers. Now I've installed your folders view I'm quite happy with most of the rest as we are ignoring font functionality.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #77
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Customized iconset with new icons. Install with Igorsk Flasher (pepak method):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon.png
Views:	643
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	41254  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #78
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've been watching this thread with interest. I also would love more than 3 font sizes.

Also, just a question... why start an enhanced version, why not help get OpenInkpot working on a PRS505? Just curious.

I think the Sony Interface is fairly good I just like the idea of replacing the firmware with an open one.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #79
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
The font sizes decision is done by the viewer, js code just checks how many steps of font scaling it supports. Setting values outside its range has no effect.

just_jeepin
OpenInkPot development for PRS505 is stalled (even though one or 2 devices were donated to devs) and further development requires quite in-depth linux kernel/driver knowledge, which I lack. Besides, I like the existing interface and I already found ways to accomplish all goals I had and even those that I hadn't.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #80
cythraul
cythraul began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
key binding

Wow. I just stumbled on this post.

Nice ideas. I'm reading that we'll be able to bind certain keys to specific actions. One thing I would love is the ability to control the mp3 player while reading. Most importantly a "next track" button would be awesome.

Alternatively, any way to play tracks in random mode? :)

thanks for your work!
cyth
cythraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #81
lconover
lconover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this kit. I managed to get this up and running on my PRS-505, and using folders has made my reader a lot easier to use.

Thank you.
lconover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #82
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
How to combine PRS Customizer and Books By Folder

1) Install PRS Customizer, prepare all your customizations and copy them to your SD card.

2) Edit file (SD Card)/files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/applicationStart.xml (replace the first part of the path according to your reader's firmware version).

3) Near the end of the file you will see this code:
Code:
		<function id="initialized">
			USBDispatcher.doRegister(this.getWindow())
			this.getDevice().doProcessed(100);
			this.getDevice().enableBlueLED(true);
		</function>
4) Replace that code with this (stolen/lifted/adapted from kartu's excellent work):
Code:
			try {
				var path = "/Data/autorun.js";
				if(FileSystem.getFileInfo(path)) {
					var f = new Stream.File(path);
					try {
						var fn = new Function("target", f.toString(), path, 1);
						fn(this);
					} finally {
						f.close();
					}
				}
			} catch(ignore) {
			}
		</function>
5) Copy autorun.js and the folder addons and its contents from Kartu's Book By Folder ZIP file to the root of your reader's internal memory.

6) Continue flashing as you would with PRS Customizer (boot with SD card inserted, choose "5) Make a new image", then "6) Flash the image")

7) Reboot and you are done!

Sorry for not being techincal enough...can you elaborate on exactly where the "root" of the reader is? Not sure where to copy all of the files from Kartu.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #83
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The root is the highest level directory you can access.
It is the one in which all the subfolders are listed.
For instance in PC terms it would be c:\
for the Sony it will be whatever drive it mounts as, eg: d:\
from where you will probably find several sub-folders listed such as Music, eBooks etc.

Note it is the Sony itself and NOT the SD card
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #84
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What pthwaite said. By the way, you should also copy the kbookIcon.png file (located, if I remember correctly, /opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts), to get new icons like "Folder" and "Game", but it's an optional step.

cythraul
Doable, but probably not in the first release.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #85
Nocturno
Nocturno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
How to combine PRS Customizer and Books By Folder

1) Install PRS Customizer, prepare all your customizations and copy them to your SD card.

2) Edit file (SD Card)/files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/applicationStart.xml (replace the first part of the path according to your reader's firmware version).

3) Near the end of the file you will see this code:
Code:
		</function>
4) Replace that code with this (stolen/lifted/adapted from kartu's excellent work):
Code:
			try {
				var path = "/Data/autorun.js";
				if(FileSystem.getFileInfo(path)) {
					var f = new Stream.File(path);
					try {
						var fn = new Function("target", f.toString(), path, 1);
						fn(this);
					} finally {
						f.close();
					}
				}
			} catch(ignore) {
			}
		</function>
5) Copy autorun.js and the folder addons and its contents from Kartu's Book By Folder ZIP file to the root of your reader's internal memory.

6) Continue flashing as you would with PRS Customizer (boot with SD card inserted, choose "5) Make a new image", then "6) Flash the image")

7) Reboot and you are done!
If I don´t want the sudoku game, can I delete it from the addons folder?

What are the other addons? (1_utils, joypadpageforward and sandbox)
Nocturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #86
Nocturno
Nocturno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
book by folder doesn´t work to explore pictures,
is it possible to make work to explore pictures?

it would be awesome to have this feature to read scaned manga..
Nocturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I would like is the ability to have true bold and true italics in the BBeB viewer. Is this possible?

Also could someone please post a version or PRSCustomizer with all these nice features added in?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #88
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturno View Post
Yes. I did it, too.

Quote:
1_utils are needed by BooksByFolder - keep it. I didn't use the others, but I assume they add some of the features of PRS Customizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswolf
One thing I would like is the ability to have true bold and true italics in the BBeB viewer. Is this possible?
I very much doubt it. All of these hacks just modify the frontend of the reader. Modifying the renderer itself would be a completely different work.

Quote:
Also could someone please post a version or PRSCustomizer with all these nice features added in?
I wanted to do it, but the problem is, I would have to provide one versions of PRS Customizer for each combination of options. (E.g. I use only the "uniform menu item size" and "owner customization", but not the other hacks, while someone else might want joypad control or volume button control etc. Not to mention that everyone likes a different icon file and different fonts.) Just stick to my guide for now.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #89
kartu
PRS+ author

JSWolf
Quote:
Adding new fonts is possible, but setting fonts works only in the text viewer. LRF books is explicitly referencing them by name. So what you'd need would be a book that is referencing your custom fonts (by name). fb2lrf utility (by obelix) could do it (you'd have to edit the ini files). I don't know if there is lrf2fb2 utility (in case your sources are LRF, you could convert back and forth)

Quote:
1) I don't like the idea of mixing it with other "hacks", as most hacks will be included into enchanced firmware (and that will happen very soon) and it is quite difficult to support the mixture.
2) PRSCustomizer's author states that his program is GNU PLed, yet I cannot find the sources. I might end up writing small java web start "customizer" for stuff that is not doable by scripts alone, like startup screen etc. I'll need some kind of utility for the dictionary feature anyway.

Last edited by kartu; 12-17-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #90
kartu
PRS+ author

Nocturno
Quote:
book by folder doesn´t work to explore pictures,
is it possible to make work to explore pictures?
Yes. Will look into it soon.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Everything starting with underscore is a system utility.
Joypadpageforward is a temporary solution that allowes joypad browsing (in books).
sandbox.js is not supposed to be used by non-developers. (did i forget to delete it from the release?)

---------------------------------------------------------

I expect to do RC release in a couple of days. Then there will be 3-4 weeks break, then I'll come back to (at least) do the dictionary the way I like it.