Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Goddamn 1: who gave me Karma... I was posting crap, so number of my post and karma would be 222, and 22222! Ahhh, lost dream geekmaster.
To see who gave you karma, click "User CP" in the top blue menu bar on MobileRead forum pages. It also shows which post got that karma, and may have a message from the karma donor, but it does not say how much karma was given.

It is customary to return the favor and give karma to those who gave you some, but it may be difficult in some cases to find a post of theirs that you want to give karma to (especially if they have never posted).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

Goddamn 1: who gave me Karma... I was posting crap, so number of my post and karma would be 222, and 22222! Ahhh, lost dream geekmaster.

Goddamn 2: I forgot English term for life expectancy in bulb industry and Google search got me no where. Either I've become less-patient over the years, or Google searches have become less useful, relevant and to-the-point than the days with simple-Google!
That would be me. aim higher

2) yes. sad really GM had some cool thoughts on that.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I forgot English term for life expectancy in bulb industry and Google search got me no where.
http://conspiracy.wikia.com/wiki/Light_bulb_conspiracy

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #19
thsheng
thsheng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That command would incorrectly flash the diags kernel image onto the main kernel.

If you type "fastboot" with no parameters, it displays usage information, including the flash partition names:

kernel = primary kernel
diags_kernel = diags kernel

Now you need flash to the main (primary) kernel with a main kernel image, and the diags kernel with a diags kernel image.

Depending on what filenames you are using, you fastboot commands should look something like this:

fastboot flash kernel main_kernel_5.0.0.img
fastboot flash diags_kernel diag_kernel_5.0.0.img

You can also flash the diags partition with fastboot, but the main partition is too large, so you need to flash it with the "dd" command in a diags SSH command shell.

When using a guide, it is important that you follow the instructions in that guide. Those instructions were provided for a good reason, and setting off in your own direction contrary to those instructions can cause additional problems for you. I suggest that you follow the instructions in the guide more closely next time.
Hi I followed the noon's guide to the letter but there were no fastboot instruction there to ask us to flash the diag_kernel as well.

This is the missing piece for those who are using the 5.1.2 main + kernel and corresponding 5.0.0 diag

My kindle is revitalised ! battery drain seems ok for the past 24 hours.

so thank you geekmaster and kcn1 for your help!
thsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsheng View Post
Hi I followed the noon's guide to the letter but there were no fastboot instruction there to ask us to flash the diag_kernel as well.

This is the missing piece for those who are using the 5.1.2 main + kernel and corresponding 5.0.0 diag

My kindle is revitalised ! battery drain seems ok for the past 24 hours.

so thank you geekmaster and kcn1 for your help!
So it seems that mixing kernel and partition versions may cause extra battery drain then. I do not know what mechanism can account for that. I am glad that it is working for you now.
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So it seems that mixing kernel and partition versions may cause extra battery drain then. I do not know what mechanism can account for that. I am glad that it is working for you now.
It's very unlikely that doing "something wrong" (tm) with the diags kernel/partition would affect the battery when running in main. In fact, it's completely impossible IMO.

One could just as well wipe out the diags kernel and partition completely, or install Super Mario instead, or... well you see where I'm going - it just wouldn't affect the Kindle running in normal operation mode, because the normal mode doesn't touch anything "diags".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It's very unlikely that doing "something wrong" (tm) with the diags kernel/partition would affect the battery when running in main. In fact, it's completely impossible IMO.

One could just as well wipe out the diags kernel and partition completely, or install Super Mario instead, or... well you see where I'm going - it just wouldn't affect the Kindle running in normal operation mode, because the normal mode doesn't touch anything "diags".
I agree that diags code should not affect main. I do not know which partitions he had messed up, but putting all the right ones back where they belong seems to have fixed it. My concern was a mismatched main partition and main kernel might cause power saving features to misbehave while in main.