Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighisme View Post
OMG I really really hope not. I need to buy an SD card and have a second set of hands to press the reset button? That's nuts!
Totally with you. While you *can* use an SD card, it would be a last resort. i.e if you could not make it through the update through USB for whatever reason.

We're trying to make it as simple as possible, but there are some things we can't avoid such as a two-button combo and a paper-clip reset at the end.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We're trying to make it as simple as possible, but there are some things we can't avoid such as a two-button combo and a paper-clip reset at the end.
Damn. I'll have to get a friend to come over and help me out then. (Living alone can suck sometimes...)
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Damn. I'll have to get a friend to come over and help me out then. (Living alone can suck sometimes...)
Really? Two buttons plus a reset shouldn't be that complicated, unless there is a physical reason you cannot do this. In fact, the whole update process doesn't sound that bad. Firmware updates tend to be sticky on most devices and can be fraught with problems.

As long as the firmware update delivers, I am more than willing to jump through some hoops to get it going.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
leighisme
Connoisseur

But all three at once? Can you hold the third button on the side, the centre of the d-pad and the reset on the back of the unit with only two hands? I can't.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
But all three at once? Can you hold the third button on the side, the centre of the d-pad and the reset on the back of the unit with only two hands? I can't.
I believe it's a sequence, Leigh. As in, Do the double-button press thing, AND THEN AFTER you need to do a paper clip reset.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
leighisme
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I believe it's a sequence, Leigh. As in, Do the double-button press thing, AND THEN AFTER you need to do a paper clip reset.
I hope it is. The Cool-er video that shows their update shows all three being pressed at once (and needing a second pair of hands to do it).
Old 06-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The reset will be a step by itself.

So the way I've been doing it is holding the menu button with my left thumb, the dpad center with my right thumb, and then extending my index finger to hit the power.

However, some folks are doing the first couple of things, but using a table edge to hit power.

That puts the eReader in 'upgrade mode', after which it will accept stuff from your computer via USB. After that's done, you use a paper clip to reset and boom, you're upgraded.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I hope it is. The Cool-er video that shows their update shows all three being pressed at once (and needing a second pair of hands to do it).
Well slap my ass and call me Sally...
That does sound kind of extravagant. I can just see myself holding the the buttons and trying to hit the reset button with a paperclip in my mouth....
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
leighisme
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The reset will be a step by itself.

So the way I've been doing it is holding the menu button with my left thumb, the dpad center with my right thumb, and then extending my index finger to hit the power.

However, some folks are doing the first couple of things, but using a table edge to hit power.

That puts the eReader in 'upgrade mode', after which it will accept stuff from your computer via USB. After that's done, you use a paper clip to reset and boom, you're upgrade.
Sounds a lot easier than the Cool-er update! Thanks for letting us know - I worry too much.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #25
leighisme
Connoisseur

Quote:
That does sound kind of extravagant. I can just see myself holding the the buttons and trying to hit the reset button with a paperclip in my mouth....
LOL - Don't hurt yourself!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #26
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
We've all had a good laugh at the phantom hands on the Cool-er video. We've tried to make sure our upgrade method is not quite so.. um.. elaborate.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can see it now.. Across the country gatherings of Kobo eReader owners; all assembling at a Tim Hortons and frantically sharing hands as we do mass updates!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #28
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can see it now.. Across the country gatherings of Kobo eReader owners; all assembling at a Tim Hortons and frantically sharing hands as we do mass updates!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Tim Hortons with a KOBO, kinda sounds like heaven to me
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #29
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Tim Hortons with a KOBO, kinda sounds like heaven to me
I have already lot a couple of evenings that way at Starbucks. I recommend decaf when reading after 8pm :-)
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote