Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
iceman00
iceman00 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
File Path

Hello

Can anyone tell me whether you can add an extra column to Calibre?

In the interface menu there is clearly space to add more columns when needed. What I'm looking for is a column called Path which details where the book is located within the library folder e.g.

C:\\Users\Mike\My Documents\Library\BookName.pdf.

I would then be able to sort by this and remove the files I need to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot do this (at the moment at least).

However you should never be removing files manually from the Calibre library as then you will end up with a mismatch between the file system and the metadata database. Books should always be removed from Calibre using Calibre itself.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
iceman00

Oops. Too late. I've got some many duplicates I couldn't think of any other way to get rid of them.

Where is the metadata file? Is it one file? I thought the metadata for each book was stored within the book?

Maybe I need a little education if someone could help please?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There a file called metadata.db at the root of the Calibre Library folder. It hold the full metadata for each book. Individual books can hold the sub-set of metadata that is supported by a particular book format. The metadata database has pointers to the files stored within the Calibre library. If you delete book files manually then you end up with orphan entries in the Calibre database.

If you have duplicates then both copies will show up from the Calibre GUI. Removing books via the Calibre GUI will delete the files, but will also remove the relevant entries from the metadata database.

If you have already deleted book files, then I think if you use the option to run the Calibre database integrity check (from Preferences->Advanced) it might correct these orphan entries.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
iceman00

Thanks for that. I'll give the integrity check a try. Just out of curiosity can you open the metadata.db in a database program like Access? My DB is 20meg.

Thanks again
Old 04-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman00 View Post
Thanks for that. I'll give the integrity check a try. Just out of curiosity can you open the metadata.db in a database program like Access? My DB is 20meg.

Thanks again
It's SQL. You can open it in an SQL browser like SQLiteSpy. It's got triggers that connect to the Python code, so you can't (and shouldn't) change things, but you can do searches, etc.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
iceman00

thanks I'll have a look, but won't change anything.